Hot Toys - TMS033 & TMS034 - The Mandalorian: Boba Fett (Regular and Deluxe versions)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if the base is reversable, as it appeared to be at prototype stage?

On the stand with the taller rocks, which ought to be for raising the knee for the whistling birds, It still looks like there's a plug covering a secondary rod support hole, opposite the open one. As it is out of the box the open hole is on the wrong side to raise the right knee.

View attachment 554736
I can't get that plug to open, could be wrong but I don't think it does. They have just filled it in I think, as part of modifications to what is the same shaped base. Both bases support normal crotch grabbers. That dynamic flight stand thing has the same base as a normal crotch grabber. I will use a spare normal crotch grabber for the second base.
I reckon these bases are great.

Love the show and TM but Personally I don’t see this show ever being made if BF looked/acted as he does in Disney + with clean helmet, black outfit, slight larger physical appearance and constant removal of helmet. The attraction of OT Fett was the small, mysterious figure with no regard to physical appearance as he appeared to be always on the job. As a result the “jobs” showed on his armour. I put the first two episodes of TBOBF above the first two of The Mandolorian however the weakest part of the show is TM in his clean BF armour.

I agree Boba Fett and Star Wars in general is best when it is worn, dirtied and used look wise. That was one of the Hallmarks of the movies versus other Sci-Fi of the 70s. Also, obviously the story of Fett has passed through many hands. When we first saw him, his only
purpose was to capture Han Solo, bring him to Jabba and he was shown to not be afraid of Vader, all while looking amazing and interesting.
Since that time, that same vibe has really morphed and altered as the writing for this character changed hands. I almost think of ESB Fett as a different character from BoBF etc, becuase I have a narrative in my head of how I saw him. Still enjoy the show, but nothing for me beats ESB Fett. That was story enough for me.

I agree Boba Fett and Star Wars in general is best when it is worn, dirtied and used look wise. That was one of the Hallmarks of the movies versus other Sci-Fi of the 70s. Also, obviously the story of Fett has passed through many hands. When we first saw him, his only
purpose was to capture Han Solo, bring him to Jabba and he was shown to not be afraid of Vader, all while looking amazing and interesting.
Since that time, that same vibe has really morphed and altered as the writing for this character changed hands. I almost think of ESB Fett as a different character from BoBF etc, becuase I have a narrative in my head of how I saw him. Still enjoy the show, but nothing for me beats ESB Fett. That was story enough for me.

All this flap over new life details just seems strange to me. Speaking in general here. When I read the Darth Vader TPBs, i was fascinated to learn new details about him and the writing humanized him significantly. He hated his armor! Palpatine was an ass to him! Who knew? He was tormented by how his life had turned out. Instead of shouting "UGH! FAIL!" I wanted to know more. Tell me about why he chose Mustafar as his base, and the building of his fortress. Cool.

ESB Fett WAS a different character in many ways. He is evolving. I want to know more.

I mean OT Boba was almost barely a character. All we knew of him was that he was taking Han to Jabba. He was a cool looking character but that was really about it.

I mean OT Boba was almost barely a character. All we knew of him was that he was taking Han to Jabba. He was a cool looking character but that was really about it.
Respectfully, that’s really not true at all.

I don’t think there’s a single person on this thread/in the community that only knows about pre-Disney Boba Fett based on his appearance in the OT. The truth is that there are numerous books and comics written about him/with him that elaborated on the character greatly, all the way from the Holiday Special up through 2013 pre-acquisition.

By your logic, and only counting movie screen time, most of the characters really never go beyond wooden, 1-dimensional tropes. Again, I find it hard to believe that there’s really anyone on this thread that legitimately holds to the belief that Boba has just been this brief cameo background character until Mando/BoBF. It isn’t an issue of head canon, there was a plethora of EU and Disney canon that fleshed this character out before the series.

I don’t think there’s a single person on this thread/in the community that only knows about pre-Disney Boba Fett based on his appearance in the OT. The truth is that there are numerous books and comics written about him/with him that elaborated on the character greatly, all the way from the Holiday Special up through 2013 pre-acquisition.

By your logic, and only counting movie screen time, most of the characters really never go beyond wooden, 1-dimensional tropes. Again, I find it hard to believe that there’s really anyone on this thread that legitimately holds to the belief that Boba has just been this brief cameo background character until Mando/BoBF. It isn’t an issue of head canon, there was a plethora of EU and Disney canon that fleshed this character out before the series.
I would guess there are a bunch of people on this thread have never read the books or comics and tons more casual fans who just got into Star Wars because of Mando. I work with people who have just recently started going back and watching the movies because they enjoyed The Mandalorian.
I watched Star Wars a couple dozen times in the theater in 77 and read books and comics up until 82 but not much since then. I know there is more to him but my main memories are from the OT.

...... But this is what i am seeing all over the place: wailing about how BoBF Boba is so terribly different from ESB Boba. You dont say....?! He was basically a cool looking cardboard standee in that.

True, many of these people simply do not read and they admit that. And when you suggest they do some reading, they get very huffy about it. Kids.

I mean yes if you count the books and comics and what have you sure. Strictly going by the films though because those are what mostly count though I would say my opinion is valid.

It’s not that I don’t like the EU either, but it was never officially canon and for better or for worse isn’t now under Disney’s ownership of Lucasfilm/Star Wars.

Comics and books don’t actually matter I’m afraid, what you seen on screen takes priority.

Plus I’d bet a majority of fans don’t read the books or comics. Star Wars is probably the one thing I’m most passionate about in life and I don’t even read them, I just read wookieepedia articles instead and I bet there are even fewer people reading that than the comics/books themselves.

To most Boba Fett was a cool looking background character than went out like a chump. Jango was better on screen.

All this flap over new life details just seems strange to me. Speaking in general here. When I read the Darth Vader TPBs, i was fascinated to learn new details about him and the writing humanized him significantly. He hated his armor! Palpatine was an ass to him! Who knew? He was tormented by how his life had turned out. Instead of shouting "UGH! FAIL!" I wanted to know more. Tell me about why he chose Mustafar as his base, and the building of his fortress. Cool.

ESB Fett WAS a different character in many ways. He is evolving. I want to know more.
Exactly. If people don't want to know more about the character and want to stick with their ESB/ROTJ Boba Fett "air of myteriousness" then they shouldn't even be watching a show called "Book of Boba Fett" which goes into details of what the man is like and evolving into.

I mean yes if you count the books and comics and what have you sure. Strictly going by the films though because those are what mostly count though I would say my opinion is valid.

It’s not that I don’t like the EU either, but it was never officially canon and for better or for worse isn’t now under Disney’s ownership of Lucasfilm/Star Wars.
Fair. But it seems incongruent to allegedly not have interest in the lore (good/bad, though extensive) but a willingness to buy a $550 collectible of the character.

Comics and books don’t actually matter I’m afraid, what you seen on screen takes priority.

Plus I’d bet a majority of fans don’t read the books or comics. Star Wars is probably the one thing I’m most passionate about in life and I don’t even read them, I just read wookieepedia articles instead and I bet there are even fewer people reading that than the comics/books themselves.

To most Boba Fett was a cool looking background character than went out like a chump. Jango was better on screen.
But comics and books do matter. They’re officially licensed. They fill in gaps between the films. In the “theology” of Star Wars, they are no less important than the films in driving the storyline. Moreover, most fans DO read these books and comics.

Most of the books were NYT best sellers and the comics have remarkably high sales rates. Your approach is actually the minority.

I ask this question: who doesn’t care about the lord but wants a $550 collectible?

...... But this is what i am seeing all over the place: wailing about how BoBF Boba is so terribly different from ESB Boba. You dont say....?! He was basically a cool looking cardboard standee in that.

True, many of these people simply do not read and they admit that. And when you suggest they do some reading, they get very huffy about it. Kids.
I think my point in all of this - and trying to bring it back to the issue at hand - is that these are beautiful figures regardless. The sculpt may be the best I’ve ever seen and I think both outfits are pretty cool.

I didn’t mean to drag this into some weird debate. My observation was merely that complaining about a character’s arc OR trying to argue that the character was never anything more than cardboard is a bit silly on a thread discussing a super high end collectible. We all know who and what he is, whether people like him or not, otherwise we just wouldn’t be posting back and forths. I can see both sides.

FWIW I’m definitely buying this set.

But comics and books do matter. They’re officially licensed. They fill in gaps between the films. In the “theology” of Star Wars, they are no less important than the films in driving the storyline. Moreover, most fans DO read these books and comics.

Most of the books were NYT best sellers and the comics have remarkably high sales rates. Your approach is actually the minority.

I ask this question: who doesn’t care about the lord but wants a $550 collectible?
But they don't matter, this was already proven with The Bad Batch when they changed things that were already established in a "canon" comic.

In the Kanan comic Commander Grey is in armour with red markings. In TBB he has green markings and regular clone armour, not Commander armour.
In the Kanan comic Commander Grey recieves Order 66 at night time around a campfire with Depa Billaba and Kana. In TBB it's during the day in the immediate aftermath of a skirmish with Separatist forces.

Anything in a comic is subject to change/retcon, if it's not on screen then take it with a pinch of salt.

But they don't matter, this was already proven with The Bad Batch when they changed things that were already established in a "canon" comic.

In the Kanan comic Commander Grey is in armour with red markings. In TBB he has green markings and regular clone armour, not Commander armour.
In the Kanan comic Commander Grey recieves Order 66 at night time around a campfire with Depa Billaba and Kana. In TBB it's during the day in the immediate aftermath of a skirmish with Separatist forces.

Anything in a comic is subject to change/retcon, if it's not on screen then take it with a pinch of salt.

I haven't read Aftermath (heard they were pretty awful) but I understand that apparently, the events around Cobb Vanth are a bit different in Mando season 2, so the "canon" books aren't any safer.
Personally I've not put much stock in the books and comics being canon for a longtime.
AoTC completely changed Boba's book canon. Then TCW changed Jango's comic canon (yes his current canon is up in the air after Mando season 2).
How he got chosen to be the clone template was changed in a Disney era "canon" comic from the one in the game "Bounty Hunter" and the Open Season comic.
These days I don't even read the new Disney era books or comics (not just because I don't really consider books and comics canon, I also found the ones I have read represent a big downgrade in quality from the old EU).

I haven't read Aftermath (heard they were pretty awful) but I understand that apparently, the events around Cobb Vanth are a bit different in Mando season 2, so the "canon" books aren't any safer.
Personally I've not put much stock in the books and comics being canon for a longtime.
AoTC completely changed Boba's book canon. Then TCW changed Jango's comic canon (yes his current canon is up in the air after Mando season 2).
How he got chosen to be the clone template was changed in a Disney era "canon" comic from the one in the game "Bounty Hunter" and the Open Season comic.
These days I don't even read the new Disney era books or comics (not just because I don't really consider books and comics canon, I also found the ones I have read represent a big downgrade in quality from the old EU).
Yeah, Aftermath too, I forgot about that.

Books and comics are just placeholders at this point until they figure out what direction they're actually taking the TV/Movie/Game stuff.

Figure(s) of the year!!
Cannot wait to get this set in!!
Tempted to order direct next week.

God..imagine if in Mando S3 we go to Mandalore...and they reveal NEW Mando characters!!
HT be all over that!!!

I am down for new Mandalorian warriors, male and female - and what if we got Fenn Rau? Or a Jaster flashback? :naughty

Back