Hot Toys: The Mandalorian The Child Life-Size Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to admit it does look pretty cool in that video, and all the different poses and expressions you can achieve with it kinda makes up for the seams and slightly cartoonish sculpt.

Yeah, IMO it's *&^%$ cute, for me the ability to re-pose has appeal. And it's CUTE. The ability to change the mouth works better than I thought.

Curious as to why neither SS or HT put hair on the ears.

This one just looks too much like a doll as opposed to Sideshows which looks far more realistic imo. I can imagine there'll probably be a v2 at some point anyway.

After watching that comparison video I think the HT version looks so much better.

The ear seams are the only downfall for me, but it is something I can live with.

Hot Toys looks more pink there to me than the Sideshow, yet nobody seems to be up in arms against HT like they were with SS.

It was a little overdone on the Sideshow but the issue was definitely overblown. The Sideshow production version is great, but that insanely great prototype was never a realistic expectation.

They both look alot like Grogu. Is that okay to say? Do I need to put an IMO disclaimer here?

IMO I think if you think either of these is better your personal objective opinion is clearly wrong.

The ability to pose him is great, and again they definitely nailed the general (green) skin tone on the HT, but those ears seams (particularly on the down ears) are really bad.

The face sculpt looks like a caricature of the actual puppet and the robe is waaaaaaayyyyy too clean and tidy. The texture on the neck on the robe is off too.

I've got nearly 10K worth of HT, so there's no brand loyalty bias for me - just calling it as I feel it.

Saying that, if the SS wasn't available, I'd be all over the HT just for the sake of having a 1:1.

After watching that comparison video I think the HT version looks so much better.

The ear seams are the only downfall for me, but it is something I can live with.

Yep that about sums it up for me too. So many more positive points for the HT version, vs one negative for the ears.

Posabilty would be the main reason i would pick the HT over Sideshows. Being able to change the look is worth more to me than anything else.

They both look alot like Grogu. Is that okay to say? Do I need to put an IMO disclaimer here?

IMO I think if you think either of these is better your personal objective opinion is clearly wrong.

Yeah it does seem a bit silly to insist one of these is dramatically better than the other. I might still give the Sideshow a slight edge for having a better sculpt, but they both look great and capture the character really well. And I don't think there's really a clear winner.

The ability to pose him is great, and again they definitely nailed the general (green) skin tone on the HT, but those ears seams (particularly on the down ears) are really bad.

The face sculpt looks like a caricature of the actual puppet and the robe is waaaaaaayyyyy too clean and tidy. The texture on the neck on the robe is off too.

I've got nearly 10K worth of HT, so there's no brand loyalty bias for me - just calling it as I feel it.

Saying that, if the SS wasn't available, I'd be all over the HT just for the sake of having a 1:1.

HT has won almost every head to head match-up. So I understand the "Hot Toys is better" mentality. But objectively they got destroyed by Sideshow here, unless articulation is very important to you.

Yeah I absolutely want a figure and not a statue. I was on the fence about getting either, but would go Hot Toys just for that, plus while it may be better sculpted, I hate the Sideshow's expression. He just looks so damn sad. I don't care about the ear seams either, again statue vs. figure problems.

Just to add to the discussion of Hot Toys vs Sideshow. I just got my Sideshow Grogu in today and I got to say, it's even better in hand than in the photos I saw online. From everything I've seen I would definitely say Sideshow is better by a long shot, but the Hot Toys still looks like it would be really fun for the posing and the accessories! Though as far as high end collectibles that are going to sit in a display case, Sideshow takes the cake for once.

PXL_20210209_214224379.jpg

Two questions I have to ask.
First does the knob have a hole where the threads would be?
Second does the base have a light up feature?

Yeah it does seem a bit silly to insist one of these is dramatically better than the other. I might still give the Sideshow a slight edge for having a better sculpt, but they both look great and capture the character really well. And I don't think there's really a clear winner.

Is it okay to be dissatisfied with both? I?m waiting for ver 2.0. Hot toys can make a screen accurate 1/6 Yoda so I?d expect a much more accurate 1:1 grogu

This is all very helpful. I didn?t realize the SS is more of a statue while the HT is a figure. I suppose it just depends on what you want out of it. I think I am going for the HT as it gives options but I don?t think you can lose (unless you don?t like either).

SS made awesome statues, their latest SW Mythos line are just purely phenomenal. But I want my little Grogu to be posable, so HT definitely would be my choice and I don't give a **** about those ears anyway :dunno.

After watching that video, I’ve now made up my mind to go with the HT version, I think he looks great. Loving the base for him too, though would prefer it said Grogu instead of The Child, but I understand why it’s like that. Might need a custom plaque.

By looking at photos neither have expression as accurate as one sixth scale HT Grogu.

Back