Hot Toys: The Mandalorian The Child Life-Size Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sideshow looks way better for once. More accurate sculpt, nice sub surface scatter happening on the ear to make it look like actual flesh and accurate hair.

Also what the hell is Hot Toys thinking with that god awful seam on the ears? The swapped ears barely even make a difference. Not worth those ugly seams at all.

TOP: SHOW
MIDDLE: HOT TOYS
BOTTOM: SIDESHOW

91145375_3258202100880330_5206269574214844416_n.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

90909338_10157021626472344_8627430979344007168_o.jpg

That seam..

steve.gif

Agree on all points. And I'm shocked that the Hot Toys is coming in at $410 without the bag or his floating crib. I thought a basic HT version would be $275-$325. The Sideshow surprisingly wins easily in the prototype round. But they will have to overcome HT much better record with production pieces.

I think the 1/6 version has the best expression(s). Should have just done the same with this one.

Agree. It's just not how I envision Baby in general. IMO this one looks a bit hostile and lacks inquisitive cuteness expression. Maybe HT thought different expressions would help sales.

Will think over but won't rush to order. Anyway that's 400$ +:monkey2

$410? Really? Wow. I guess I'll just hold on to Hasbro. :lol

Sideshow's looks better in prototype but since they're handing the production, their production pieces especially on statues have been hit and miss. Some of them look amazing and some of them have paint bleeds, crossed eyes, etc. It's a gamble.

I don't think HT's is worth $400, but I'm sure it'll sell well.

I think people are seeing what they want to see, and telling themselves whatever they need to to justify their own pre-orders.

As someone who liked the show, but has no interest in either one of these, I personally believe the sideshow one is significantly better than the HT one, and that's probably the ONLY time I've ever going to say that, ever.

The SS one looks exactly like the puppet from the show, and the sack outfit looks better as well. Plus, the expression HT went with is rather odd, and the ear seams are inexcusable.

Either way, it's $350/$400 I'll be spending on the deluxe Mando instead.

Completely agree. I probably won't be purchasing either, but if Sideshow's production piece comes close to matching the prototype, it would easily be my first choice.

Looks good, but I prefer the SS at this stage. I’ll wait until the production pieces are out before I decide which one to get, although my enthusiasm for Star Wars is dwindling under Disney so I may end up passing on them all together.

Just read that legacy effects designed the child for the show along with other characters. They have to get it right ! Right ? Lol I’m getting both we’ll see maybe they will both be great ��

Anyone buy from legacy effects ? They are sculpting and painting. Curious if anyone has their stuff

Based on what others have posted it seems Legacy Effects makes or at least assists with the prototype and then Sideshow takes over with production. There have been other Legacy/Sideshow collaborations in the past. Some have turned out well and some have not. I would like to think Sideshow will be putting their best foot forward with The Child considering the popularity of the character.

Just read that legacy effects designed the child for the show along with other characters. They have to get it right ! Right ? Lol I’m getting both we’ll see maybe they will both be great ��

Yeah, but Legacy Effects also probably only did one or two for the show = prototype numbers. So they also have no real experience with this particular figure in production volumes. Certainly not a given imo.

Still I'm probably not going to get either. 2x 1/6 versions with the Deluxe + Beskar Mando + pram for less money :lol (and yes, I know this is 1:1)

I am not I the market for any of the baby Yoda yet but the seams on the ears are an eyesore.

Legacy is doing all the work ( paint sculpt etc) not sideshow so hopefully it will match the prototype

Wrong.

Anyone buy from legacy effects ? They are sculpting and painting. Curious if anyone has their stuff

Wrong. Only for the prototype.

Based on what others have posted it seems Legacy Effects makes or at least assists with the prototype and then Sideshow takes over with production. There have been other Legacy/Sideshow collaborations in the past. Some have turned out well and some have not. I would like to think Sideshow will be putting their best foot forward with The Child considering the popularity of the character.

Correct.

Yeah, but Legacy Effects also probably only did one or two for the show = prototype numbers. So they also have no real experience with this particular figure in production volumes. Certainly not a given imo.

Still I'm probably not going to get either. 2x 1/6 versions with the Deluxe + Beskar Mando + pram for less money :lol (and yes, I know this is 1:1)

There’s quite a few people here who I’m guessing have never bought a Sideshow (or any other large scale branded piece either) before, and those same people have also started to post in Sideshow’s thread, because so many individuals have been posting so adamantly that Legacy is producing the piece just because their name is in the descriptions.

For one thing, in the numerous pieces that they have collaborated with Sideshow with, not one did they ever produce the production pieces.

Secondly the names in the description have never really related to the production piece. Yes they produce the prototype, but all the main manufacturers then offload most of the responsibility to their Chinese factory for the production piece. They hope to duplicate the work done, but honestly it rarely happens for movie related pieces; at least from Sideshow (can be real bad sometimes) and Prime 1 (reasonable, but still a drop in quality). Iron Studios are usually representative, but their painters aren’t always the best to begin with whereas with Sideshow they have top notch in-house painters.

So even with Sideshow pieces without Legacy being involved, they list the various names of who were involved in the prototype, and again none of them are directly involved with the production pieces. They don’t go down to the factory and do the work themselves. It’s a Chinese factory painter etc doing all the work, just like nearly everything else.

Yeah honestly I don't really see much point in making this articulated, unless you just want to change what direction he's looking in now and then. The 1/4 version will probably be a lot better for creating fun poses since it'll likely come with alternate heads and expressions.

But no leg articulation? Not being able to sit very unfortunate.

7257CB5B-495F-46CB-BBBD-D92A71845B91.jpg

Not digging how this looks from the prototype and JC Hong’s pics. Still looks too toy like and not enough realism. Will wait for the SS piece production piece to decide

Yes can’t always go by the prototype. We need to see final product/in hand photos/videos. But judging from the prototypes: SS looks cuter, the hair on the head looks more realistic, HT has better proportions and pose-ability options. We all know prototypes are usually their best work done by master artists. That’s why it’s called a prototype. These aren’t the same people who will mass produce. I can give you a perfect recent example. Remember the prototype for the Wonder Woman premium format? Perfect. I wanted to get one. Then I changed my mind when the final product was released.

They updated the description and it says 7 POA now and not zero. So the arms and legs must move.

I don't know why anyones too surprised by the price, it's a huge head that's painted. Can't compare it to the life size Groot at all, which was much simpler and smaller.

Yes can’t always go by the prototype. We need to see final product/in hand photos/videos. But judging from the prototypes: SS looks cuter, the hair on the head looks more realistic, HT has better proportions and pose-ability options. We all know prototypes are usually their best work done by master artists. That’s why it’s called a prototype. These aren’t the same people who will mass produce. I can give you a perfect recent example. Remember the prototype for the Wonder Woman premium format? Perfect. I wanted to get one. Then I changed my mind when the final product was released.

The BVS Wonder Woman Premium Format was a true travesty. You couldn’t pay me to have that in my collection. While the prototype looked absolutely nothing like the actress (while the Prime 1’s haven’t been perfect there at least has been a resemblance), the facesculpt and paint were beautiful...... whereas the production piece made it look like.............well suffice it to say it was bad, read bad.

Whereas the recent comic based Wonder Woman Premium Format, was also a disappointment when compared to the prototype’s paint on the face. The prototype was near perfection. She was beautiful..... but the production piece didn’t compare imo. However that said, if I had never seen the prototype I would’ve said that the production piece was great.... which it was, sort of. But knowing what it could’ve been, prevented me from including it in my collection.

They updated the description and it says 7 POA now and not zero. So the arms and legs must move.

I don't know why anyones too surprised by the price, it's a huge head that's painted. Can't compare it to the life size Groot at all, which was much simpler and smaller.

I’m not too surprised, but I was hoping that they would try to be competitive with Sideshows price. But I was one of the statue collectors who thought that Sideshows price was actually very very low for what they were giving us, whereas the Hot Toys collectors who bombarded Sideshow’s thread thought it was too expensive.

Just a difference in experience as statues collectors are now paying anywhere from $700 to $1200 for 1/4 scale pieces. And I’m someone who saves everything I’ve got to also collect 1/3 and 1/2 scale statues.... so the price of these things in comparison is.....

Not too thrilled with the price, not surprised though, either.
I will probably not bother with a PO for it and just see how the production piece fares.

I will say the robe/scarf on the Hot Toys one is much more accurate than the Sideshow one.

I?m not too surprised, but I was hoping that they would try to be competitive with Sideshows price. But I was one of the statue collectors who thought that Sideshows price was actually very very low for what they were giving us, whereas the Hot Toys collectors who bombarded Sideshow?s thread thought it was too expensive.

Just a difference in experience as statues collectors are now paying anywhere from $700 to $1200 for 1/4 scale pieces. And I?m someone who saves everything I?ve got to also collect 1/3 and 1/2 scale statues.... so the price of these things in comparison is.....

Yup given how much HT charges for their 1/4 figures, I was actually expecting this to cost a whole lot more than $410. Anyone expecting an articulated life-size figure from HT to cost less than that is simply dreaming.

Not digging how this looks from the prototype and JC Hong’s pics. Still looks too toy like and not enough realism. Will wait for the SS piece production piece to decide

Yeah it does look much more like a smooth, hard plastic toy than I was expecting from HT. The final Sideshow statue may well turn out the same way, but at least at the moment it's got the right sort of translucent look that the puppet has.

Back