Hot Toys The Dark Knight Joker DX/Artisan 1/6 Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
because of their inefficiency at getting the job done, and in-turn went the custom route

You brought up an interesting point here -- I started 1/6th collecting as a basher, building my own figures because there were so few. Then, as Sideshow and HT gobbled up the franchises and started making every damn thing, I noticed fewer and fewer custom projects getting made. Why make a figure when HT would likely do it. But then, after about 2013, that well went dry, and so many franchises were dumped, especially for Star Wars and MCU. For a bit, the HT Star Wars craze in 2015 kind of satiated a taste people longed for since Sideshow started out in 2006... but again, that sacrificed so many other franchises that HT had at one time embraced. So... customs started coming back in vogue, big time -- with hefty prices but amazing realism. For the last 7-8+ years I have been more interested in my custom projects than anything HT has been doing. But then, InArt opened the flood gates. Perhaps we're at the threshold of the next reining-in of customs (that have gotten out of touch in price and unreliable in delivery) and InArt, Hot Toys and who knows who else will start giving us a new level of figures... forcing us all to start our collections all over again (like HT did after Sideshow).

Last edited:
Iā€™m talking about very recently, again I donā€™t purchase HTs regularly so I go off what Iā€™m reading and seeing in peopleā€™s collections, you got a problem with that new Keaton 2.0 masked sculpt?

View attachment 657587

Look at it, thatā€™s not HTs messing around. Itā€™s not necessarily that one has ā€œgood faithā€ in HTs but that Howard can not afford to **** this up. These are easily some of the best figures HTs have ever shown, regardless of how good their old **** was back then. I agree they **** the bed multiple times before now, from 2014-2019 ish has been mediocre, why do you think I went custom? Because companies were failing to deliver what I needed and felt like could be made but wasnā€™t.
I think itā€™s interesting that you pointed to the 89 Batman 2.0 because thatā€™s a release that pisses me off. I agree that faceplate looks great, but thatā€™s also a test photo of the battle damaged faceplate before the blood was applied. Which is awesome except for the fact that itā€™s a Battle Damaged faceplateā€¦for a figure with no actual Battle Damage. I mean, at the very least, I feel like they couldā€™ve included an interchangeable, scorched Batsymbol, but, more than that, the thing that pisses me off isnā€™t the sculpt. I think the cowl looks great and I really like two out of the three faceplates, even though this guy seems wonky as hell to me:

IMG_1690.jpeg

The big thing for me, though, is that, after all these years, theyā€™re still using that same ******** rubber body condom despite the fact that itā€™s inaccurate to the construction of the actual suit,is far more movement prohibitive than it needs to be, and that itā€™s rubber thatā€™ll likely degrade over time. It could easily be PVC over lycra like the actual suit. I think that needs to be the next thing people complain and spam them about, actually. If they can give Spider-Man 2099 a fabric bodysuit, they can do the same for Michael gotdamn Keaton. Either way, my boy deserves better. Especially when theyā€™re like ā€œhey everybody, look at us. Hiring custom artists and making things scale accurately and hereā€™s a Bale Batman with the proportions youā€™ve wanted for the last 15 frigginā€™ years.ā€ Yet, Here we are, revisiting ā€˜89 and itā€™s the same **** after all this time. Hell, itā€™s so bad that Mezco had an accurate prototype with cuts in the suit and opted to ape Hot Toys with a one-piece onesie in their 1/12th line. Another company literally trashed an accurate prototype so they could be more like Hot Toys. Ridiculous.

@batfan08

See I donā€™t own those figures to fully get a grip on what they are, except for the IA rooted two pack, Ik what I was promised and what I got fell short to the point the 1k stings, the jail figure is no good imo, itā€™s the first thing you see everyone selling along with the ridiculous, albeit cool jail cell. You donā€™t see people paying custom prices for repaints and rehairs on that sculpt, only the main one, and for good reason, who wants to shell out another $800 for extra work to be done on a sculpt that doesnā€™t look like Ledger to begin with.

People are wising up, customs arenā€™t going anywhere, itā€™s too late, they run this game now and the advancements that are being made in that world are truly incredible.
Itā€™s more exciting to watch a figure get built from the ground up from different artists working on different parts from all over the globe, youā€™re going to wait around for a HT or IA figure to release anyways, why not throw that money towards something unique?

Last edited:
BF7BE10F-AE98-4197-91A5-1E5C6841E9F0.jpeg

He said the new photos are of the same suit as this, it has to be a scale issue with the head or the top hat has some play involved. The HT sculpt looks fine on it, maybe slightly undersized but better than the new sculpt. Purple jacket and pants should be lighter though.

Also, he said the 3D printed white flower button and gold coin button on the Ledger waistcoat are a go if enough people are interested to keep the price down, didnā€™t give a price but we were mainly discussing the new purple coat trying to nail down all the details. So far the best close up shot I can find of the details is a waistcoat by Magnoli with the buttons added on. Iā€™m not sure if the buttons are 100% accurate as I havenā€™t found a close up of them on the suit at WB with enough detail yet. But they do look the part and itā€™s a start.

2FDCC7B5-A566-4834-95F0-2FB9252B99D0.jpeg
400E7397-D3BD-429A-89D2-ED849E6A6202.jpeg

1620C097-8E18-45E8-BF87-849B18079BB2.jpeg

39305ADB-451D-415B-95A9-4D7E6A43B129.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 657605

He said the new photos are of the same suit as this, it has to be a scale issue with the head or the top hat has some play involved. The HT sculpt looks fine on it, maybe slightly undersized but better than the new sculpt. Purple jacket and pants should be lighter though.

Also, he said the 3D printed white flower button and gold coin button on the Ledger waistcoat are a go if enough people are interested to keep the price down, didnā€™t give a price but we were mainly discussing the new purple coat trying to nail down all the details. So far the best close up shot I can find of the details is a waistcoat by Magnoli so not sure if the buttons are 100% accurate, The coin button looks more gold on the suit at WB to my eye.

View attachment 657606
Jack Nicholson Lol GIF

How is HT Pennywise vs IA Pennywise?

The next one up for comparison is HT Pattinson Batman vs IA Pattinson Batman.
I think Pennywise will be a straight for Inart, always felt the hot toys sculpt was a bit on the small side.

As for Batman I'm looking forward to seeing how both look and the comparison.

HT seem to have finally gotten the color of the coat correctly, the only time thatā€™s happened between customs and companies. The buttons down the front of the purple coat are inaccurately placed though.

78A43060-5E9B-4933-BC2F-77E15356C9D7.jpeg

01F1E680-98A5-4710-9E27-35EF7934B60E.jpeg

Last edited:
Too bad about the vest.
Looks lime green to me.
This waistcoat changes hue a lot due to material used.

The promo photos have muted tones, as well as the film. The film had uneducated people thinking the blazer was blue. Not a spec of it. šŸ˜‚

2E637F75-EF12-4C00-8BE0-ED1704A319DA.jpeg

Last edited:
I do like the darker vest as that's how I see it. Everyone's vest so far has been a bit hot for me. I've never seen the costume in person so I have no idea what is the true color, but somehow lime green doesn't strike me as a color Nolan would have approved. It just has to be darker... even though I'm sure you can find pictures of a hot light brightening it up like above. The previous picture Nick posted a few posts back looks more what I'd expect in person.

I do like the darker vest as that's how I see it. Everyone's vest so far has been a bit hot for me. I've never seen the costume in person so I have no idea what is the true color, but somehow lime green doesn't strike me as a color Nolan would have approved. It just has to be darker... even though I'm sure you can find pictures of a hot light brightening it up like above.
You have to make the suit colors brighter when your film takes place at night or youā€™ll lose visual interest in things on the screen. If his suit was as dark as it appears in the promo shots it would completely blend in with its surroundings, not a good look for Joker. The vivid color helped Nolan get away with the overall dark look the film has. Same can be applied to Jacks Joker, look how vivid the suit actually is, completely different than what we saw on screen because of this very reason.

Watch this video and get back to me.

AE6433FD-77E9-4007-949E-DC16B28C89FE.jpeg

Last edited:
as always, it goes back to what you want, screen accuracy or actual costume accuracy. I prefer screen accuracy as not everyone (if anyone?) will have the figure lit how the movie was in their personal display. Not only that, image trying to put a real filter on your display cases :thud:

as always, it goes back to what you want, screen accuracy or actual costume accuracy. I prefer screen accuracy as not everyone (if anyone?) will have the figure lit how the movie was in their personal display. Not only that, image trying to put a real filter on your display cases :thud:
Precisely, but everyone complains about whatā€™s accurate on the suit and whatā€™s not.

All the custom runs getting it wrong and so forth, the only way to get it right is by actually being faithful to the fabric and not the filter, you canā€™t pick and choose here, you either want a blue blazer or you donā€™t.

Back