Hot Toys The Dark Knight Joker DX/Artisan 1/6 Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ify51oX.png
This is me giving you a round of applause with the same honest intent that Joker had when he was in that pose in the movie.

I agree Hologram, but this thought process wasn’t the norm back in October, I was the only one on this forum saying this before release, at least in that thread, people couldn’t see it, simply told me if I didn’t like it don’t buy it, foolishness.

They're both completely open to be criticized. I've personally given INART a bit more slack due to this figure being their very first figure into the market and them doing a great job with it. It's not perfect by any means and I hope they continue to improve with each release. But in comparison, all we've seen from every other company so far (Threezero, Sideshow, Blitzway, StarAce, etc) has been incredibly subpar, while also being in this business for far longer.
I really like this take.

I’m also surprised you’ve bundled Threezero in with the rest of those, though! I guess I haven’t owned a figure by them yet, but I thought their products were generally regarded as excellent, particularly for the price. I’d personally swap them out for Asmus…

I really like this take.

I’m also surprised you’ve bundled Threezero in with the rest of those, though! I guess I haven’t owned a figure by them yet, but I thought their products were generally regarded as excellent, particularly for the price. I’d personally swap them out for Asmus…
I do think Threezero has improved but I think they're also kind of stuck at a certain level of quality with their 1/6 figures. I completely love their DLX line. It's incredible what they've done with it but as far as 1/6 figures goes? They're stuck in that "This figure looks like it's $180 max." area.

At the very least, I can safely say they haven't DECLINED in quality like Sideshow has over the years. :rolleyes2 Which is honestly embarrassing and not to mention, Sideshow has the balls to charge $300 for their figures. I applaud Threezero for charging their figures for what they look like, which is indeed within that $150-$200 mark.

I forgot about Asmus as well but they at least seem to be trying to do better lately? After Gandalf and Ash, they've switched the way they do things a bit.

I forgot about Asmus as well but they at least seem to be trying to do better lately?
Well, not to instill my own opinion or stray too far off topic, but I would definitely check out the blue-turning Gollum thread before drawing your conclusion LOL
Point taken, though, as far as consistency and improving quality goes, i’m definitely there with you rooting for IA to succeed in areas where other long term companies simply haven’t
Never had any problems with Threezero, personally. Definitely replace with Star Ace
Star Ace was already implicated in holo’s post… but they’re honestly so bad that they probably should have been mentioned twice :lol

Guys I’ve stated this plenty, I want IA to succeed, competitors help to some extent, but also hurt by flooding the market.

I’m not saying I hope every single Inart figure is utter garbage from here on out.

I’ve stated how I wish my favorite character wasn’t their first figure made, I wish they would have refined their craft before attempting one of the most iconic villains in cinema, have you seen the 1:1 scale Heath Ledger Joker Queen studios is releasing?

EC875EE2-2CBB-4184-A00C-43535165F9B0.jpeg

27FEBE9C-4758-4C43-82D6-296D1E50EB56.jpeg

It’s not accurate in the slightest, worst they’ve done and it’s 1:1! If they weren’t completely confident the prototype and production were very consistent to the point the inconsistencies are unnoticeable then they shouldn’t have promised more than they could deliver, they had Viper hand paint each sculpt in that video to misguide their customers.

Last edited:
Years ago? OK, maybe that's the problem.

tired-groggy.gif

I just wonder how a 3rd party like Mars would do now?
Yes, he clearly has worked out a bit of the issues since then, I’m not discrediting the achievement, but I am saying it’s not a good look to promise something inaccurate to which you will be receiving as the first figure a company made. You think anyone bought anymore Overtoys after that?

HTs has a track record lately that they’re improving every release, that’s not concrete evidence, sure. But we’ve seen the video he made, he doesn’t want to look bad and will keep both Joker & Anakin under close watch, he can’t afford not to.

I didn’t expect Viper to hand paint and hair my set, but that someone would and it would match the prototype to justify the $1k. If that was the case I would’ve lined up to buy that Overtoys junk he released before this.. ahahaa come on man, it’s not a brand vs brand battle to me like it is to you. I want as accurate of a Ledger Joker as I can get and this wasn’t it unfortunately regardless of the mods, a year from now we could be in the same boat with the Artisan, I’m not refuting that, because if that’s the case I can always sell both and drop that cash into custom work.

I agree Hologram, but this thought process wasn’t the norm back in October, I was the only one on this forum saying this before release, at least in that thread, people couldn’t see it, simply told me if I didn’t like it don’t buy it, foolishness.

Not intentionally calling you out on it, but at least acknowledge Holograms photo proving that the difference between proto and final isn’t as massive as you claimed. Also, posting such an awfully lit and posed picture of the figure to “prove a point” is done so in bad faith. I’m aware you own the figure and you’ve reminded us repeatedly you don’t follow companies…but what you’re doing is completely sus. If you have a bias towards HT, just admit it. Its ok man. I hate the company and I’ve made no effort in trying to hide it. Just own up to it.

Being told to not buy something if you don’t like it will happen no matter the figure, it’s not a new or isolated thing.

May I remind you, there was so much resistance and resentment towards IA when they revealed their Joker. Some of that vitriol came from here while most came from FB and other platforms.

The vibe I’m getting from you is you have faith HT will deliver. I exhibited the same faith IA will deliver on their promise. Why? Based on the fact that right from the start, FROM GROUND ZERO, they revealed the figure. “Impossible. No way it’ll look like that.”-most of us said. Then came the video with the lead artist Viper, who had a good track record with unlicensed figures, SHOW OFF and tell us “what you see here is what you will get.”

No company, and I mean NO COMPANY ever came out swinging for the fences like IA did. People were sketchy at first, rightfully so, but I had complete faith in them. It felt…different.

And yes. They ABSOLUTELY delivered. Minor stumbles here and there, but as a whole, they delivered.

Why don’t I feel the same confidence with HT?

The biggest difference between the two is that, Hot Toys has nearly 20 years of doing this on their belt. Not to say they're perfect, nor will they ever be, but it kind of gets to a certain point where them repeating certain behaviors and terrible decisions, comes off incredibly baffling and questionable. Especially for a lot of collectors who have been with them from nearly the start now. We KNOW they can do better and do some incredible things when they try but it's something you see every once in a while. In-between that are figures that are either filler or stuff that clearly went to their B Team to quickly put together.

How are you gonna re-release an 11 year old Batman Begins figure last year for $260 with a straight face? Seriously..? Then they release the DX19 only to announce a $600 Armory version a few months later with the updates that people have been asking for since the DX12. Like...why? This kind of stuff just makes them look like a**holes.

This is why. Hologram explained it perfectly. I was burned with the DX12. CRAPPY faceplates EV-VUH-RY-ONE was complaining about. NOTHING WAS DONE ABOUT IT….UNTIL THE TDK ARMORY that is! That came out with NEW FACEPLATES.

Sensing a pattern here? Remember how DX19 had “NEWLY DEVELOPED BODY AND NEW ARMOR THAT ACCURATELY CAPTURES CHRISTIAN BALE’S PHYSIQUE?

What does the TDKR armory say? “NEWLY-ER MORE DEVELOPED BODY AND NEW-ER ARMOR THAT MORE ACCURATELY-ER CAPTURES BALES PHYSIQUE-ER….”

Nah. **** HT.

I don’t trust them. Hell even in THIS photo:

IMG_1055.jpeg

They went to the trouble of going the “Can’t beat the custom sculpts, why not just own them” route…they couldn’t even copy the paint work? We already have a few keen eyed members saying the paint on the left is a little weak…so you’re expecting those of us who were wise to HT BS tactics to put our full trust in them?

Nah bro. **** HT. They can miss me with that nonsense 😂

it’s not a brand vs brand battle to me like it is to you.

Oh, come on, don't do that. I think you know me well enough to know I'm not on any bandwagon. I take sides from time to time just to razz or just to point out hypocrisy.

I admit, I am rooting for InArt because they're new, I like what I've seen so far, and I LOVE that they injected some energy and, most importantly, a healthy dose of competition in what was becoming a stagnant hobby for the last 5 years. But as soon as I get a crap figure from them -- Gandalf or Aragorn? -- then I'll be all over them. Besides, InArt doesn't have any of the franchises I truly love so I won't be getting any grails pieces from them any time soon. For that, I root for Hot Toys.

I’m talking about very recently, again I don’t purchase HTs regularly so I go off what I’m reading and seeing in people’s collections, you got a problem with that new Keaton 2.0 masked sculpt?

761B4E12-07E0-4B2C-AEE5-BB8155C76A9D.jpeg

Look at it, that’s not HTs messing around. It’s not necessarily that one has “good faith” in HTs but that Howard can not afford to **** this up. These are easily some of the best figures HTs have ever shown, regardless of how good their old **** was back then. I agree they **** the bed multiple times before now, from 2014-2019 ish has been mediocre, why do you think I went custom? Because companies were failing to deliver what I needed and felt like could be made but wasn’t.

Oh, come on, don't do that. I think you know me well enough to know I'm not on any bandwagon. I take sides from time to time just to razz or just to point out hypocrisy.

I admit, I am rooting for InArt because they're new, I like what I've seen so far, and I LOVE that they injected some energy and, most importantly, a healthy dose of competition in what was becoming a stagnant hobby for the last 5 years. But as soon as I get a crap figure from them -- Gandalf or Aragorn? -- then I'll be all over them. Besides, InArt doesn't have any of the franchises I truly love so I won't be getting any grails pieces from them any time soon. For that, I root for Hot Toys.
I agree with everything stated here Wor-Gar, the fact that you’re not bashing customs out of the gate just because proves as much. I’m not for any brand either, I stopped buying HT after the BR 2.0 and TDK armory. (that released in 2014 and 2015??) because of their inefficiency at getting the job done, and in-turn went the custom route. If these companies could get it right, customs wouldn’t exist, now they’re both taking notes from them to stay afloat in an oversaturated watered down hobby.

If neither company provides what I need then it’s fine I have other options, but IA isn’t the return of Christ here.

No one is claiming IA is the 2nd coming. We’re talking about theoreticals at the moment. The 2.0 Keaton pic doesn’t prove much because:

1-they should’ve been producing this stuff YEARS ago. In fact, the 1st Keaton figure SHOULD HAVE BEEN THAT.

2-LITERALLY EVERY JC HONG proto paint up looks good. Even with the 70% likeness sculpts (which makes up about 90% of HT catalogue) can look good when it’s PERSONALLY PAINTED by Hong.

That 2.0 pic neither confirms nor denies what the final product will look like.

Once again, I’m glad you got something to look forward to. Got faith in HT? More power to you. I and many others here do not share the same optimism.

Back