Hot Toys The Dark Knight Joker DX/Artisan 1/6 Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make sure to order the green and purple "make it disappear" edition one. You will be very satisfied with your order. The pleasure you will get every time you pick it up is priceless.

Well, that one is apparently really good, it's like gravity, all it takes is a little push!

Isn’t this confirmation that Kit will not offer either Artisan figure?
614F72FA-2627-460F-81B6-B35EDF1F3CFD.jpeg

I really am torn. I feel like InArt’s offering is spectacular. I love the magnets, love the base; love all the accessories and echo everything DiFabio said about the quality of it all, but I just can’t get over how much I like this sculpt. I don’t know if it’s the fact that the DX 01 with the grenade rig was my first real 1/6th scale figure, but I’m not really looking at this thing like an evolution of InArt as much as an evolution of Hot Toys. Granted, Howard Chan had to get dragged, kicking and screaming, into the future by some stiff competition, but I really, really like this figure.

The big thing for me that I’ve felt has been so damn nerve-racking over the years is how lifeless everything is. I know these are toys. I know a lot of people don’t like it, but, to me, when you add in all the bells and whistles and attempts at getting as close to realism as possible, I feel like expressiveness is key. I don’t want to feel like I’m looking at an action figure. I want to feel like I’ve captured a moment in time from one of my favorite films.

It’s why, as much as I love my HT Reeve Supes from all those years ago, and, as impressed as I am by all the different $10K Arnie Kim custom pieces I come across in my newsfeed, I maintain that we’ve yet to see the definitive version of that character delivered in any scale. Because, when I think of Reeve Superman, I think of the end of the film. Superman, flying into outer space and toward the camera and breaking the fourth wall to smile and wave into the camera. If I can get that on a shelf, I’m golden.

I like options and I like quality as much as the next guy. Tons of guns, knives, hands, accessories, etc. are always a good time, but, as much as I love my InArt and feel like the quality outmatches HT in pretty much every way, there’s one shot I cannot get over that keeps impressing the hell out of me:

IMG_1325.png

It’s probably irrational and ridiculous that a tiny plastic tongue can impress me just as much as an elaborate, intricately detailed and weathered jail cell diorama constructed out of real wood and metal, but it’s the fact that I don’t feel like I’m looking at a toy that gets me. It’s such a simple, stupid detail, but it’s also so damn obvious and it really just transports me every time I look at it. For all his different looks; all the different make-up, outfits, and varying degrees of wear and tear on the character throughout the film, the one constant was Ledger licking his lips to keep those prosthetic scars from drying out and falling off.

It’s entirely possible that HT ***** the bed on this one in production, but if they’re really taking InArt seriously and could deliver something of, at least, competing quality, I feel like this could be something special. It’s a moot point considering I’m not optimistic I can get one, but I have $150 in Reward Points burning a hole in my pocket and I really think I’m ready to take the risk and try for the Artist Series version. I’m in the middle of a move and I don’t even know where the hell I'm gonna fit the InArt box in my new place, so, that’d be one thing figured out if I succeeded.:lol

Got the sculpted from Kit, the photos from ChinaJoy sealed the deal for me. It was the 1.0 Joker that made me aware of Hot Toys and I've been waiting all that time for a good "intense" looking Joker sculpt.

So that means Sideshow’s is going to be exorbitantly nuts with MSRP + taxes + shipping. For a standard figure with ordinary techniques no less.

I remember thinking $185 for the DX01 was crazy, mostly because they didn’t include an extra body with the Honor Guard head and suit. That was what, 2009?

Then in 2012, I justified $275 for the interrogation table, lamp, chairs and backdrop.

$400 for a Joker with removable tongue. Insane. Yeah, I got the InArt rooted for $1000. But that was $1000 for TWO rooted heads, TWO bodies (with all new flesh magnetic arms) TWO whole outfits, a huge metal jail cell, a wooden base, a high gloss instruction manual (not the cheap little leaflets Hot Toys included) and an unboxing experience I will never forget. It felt premium, it felt like an experience taking all the weapons and accessories out of those individual white baggies.

DX01 - Introduction of PERS + Mob Joker + Honor Guard Joker
DX11 - Purple Joker + Second head + Interrogation scene display diorama

DX33 - removable tongue

Hot Toys didn’t even try to make it seem like there’s added value here. Each DX has less than the last. Can’t even display him with anything other than the purple jacket and purple gloves.
The tongue is already removable :) :

Joker tongue.jpg

I really am torn. I feel like InArt’s offering is spectacular. I love the magnets, love the base; love all the accessories and echo everything DiFabio said about the quality of it all, but I just can’t get over how much I like this sculpt. I don’t know if it’s the fact that the DX 01 with the grenade rig was my first real 1/6th scale figure, but I’m not really looking at this thing like an evolution of InArt as much as an evolution of Hot Toys. Granted, Howard Chan had to get dragged, kicking and screaming, into the future by some stiff competition, but I really, really like this figure.

The big thing for me that I’ve felt has been so damn nerve-racking over the years is how lifeless everything is. I know these are toys. I know a lot of people don’t like it, but, to me, when you add in all the bells and whistles and attempts at getting as close to realism as possible, I feel like expressiveness is key. I don’t want to feel like I’m looking at an action figure. I want to feel like I’ve captured a moment in time from one of my favorite films.

It’s why, as much as I love my HT Reeve Supes from all those years ago, and, as impressed as I am by all the different $10K Arnie Kim custom pieces I come across in my newsfeed, I maintain that we’ve yet to see the definitive version of that character delivered in any scale. Because, when I think of Reeve Superman, I think of the end of the film. Superman, flying into outer space and toward the camera and breaking the fourth wall to smile and wave into the camera. If I can get that on a shelf, I’m golden.

I like options and I like quality as much as the next guy. Tons of guns, knives, hands, accessories, etc. are always a good time, but, as much as I love my InArt and feel like the quality outmatches HT in pretty much every way, there’s one shot I cannot get over that keeps impressing the hell out of me:

View attachment 653112

It’s probably irrational and ridiculous that a tiny plastic tongue can impress me just as much as an elaborate, intricately detailed and weathered jail cell diorama constructed out of real wood and metal, but it’s the fact that I don’t feel like I’m looking at a toy that gets me. It’s such a simple, stupid detail, but it’s also so damn obvious and it really just transports me every time I look at it. For all his different looks; all the different make-up, outfits, and varying degrees of wear and tear on the character throughout the film, the one constant was Ledger licking his lips to keep those prosthetic scars from drying out and falling off.

It’s entirely possible that HT ***** the bed on this one in production, but if they’re really taking InArt seriously and could deliver something of, at least, competing quality, I feel like this could be something special. It’s a moot point considering I’m not optimistic I can get one, but I have $150 in Reward Points burning a hole in my pocket and I really think I’m ready to take the risk and try for the Artist Series version. I’m in the middle of a move and I don’t even know where the hell I'm gonna fit the InArt box in my new place, so, that’d be one thing figured out if I succeeded.:lol

I know what you mean. And to be honest, for this specific shot, I also think it looks better than InArt...

So that means Sideshow’s is going to be exorbitantly nuts with MSRP + taxes + shipping. For a standard figure with ordinary techniques no less.

I remember thinking $185 for the DX01 was crazy, mostly because they didn’t include an extra body with the Honor Guard head and suit. That was what, 2009?

Then in 2012, I justified $275 for the interrogation table, lamp, chairs and backdrop.

$400 for a Joker with removable tongue. Insane. Yeah, I got the InArt rooted for $1000. But that was $1000 for TWO rooted heads, TWO bodies (with all new flesh magnetic arms) TWO whole outfits, a huge metal jail cell, a wooden base, a high gloss instruction manual (not the cheap little leaflets Hot Toys included) and an unboxing experience I will never forget. It felt premium, it felt like an experience taking all the weapons and accessories out of those individual white baggies.

DX01 - Introduction of PERS + Mob Joker + Honor Guard Joker
DX11 - Purple Joker + Second head + Interrogation scene display diorama

DX33 - removable tongue

Hot Toys didn’t even try to make it seem like there’s added value here. Each DX has less than the last. Can’t even display him with anything other than the purple jacket and purple gloves.
I agree with this, the unboxing of the inart felt premium, like you were a part of something special. Wasn't a fan of the size of the box but i can't deny unboxing it was a special experience with the way it was all packed and presented. It just felt so grandiose.

So, I don’t know who here has ever done any of the RSVP stuff, but what time have they tended to go up in the past?

IMG_8038.jpeg

Quick edit from the video. But I’m sold, I rsvp’ed to grab the rooted. It’s not as good as inarts but there’s always ways to work around it. Still pretty good.

Main thing that stands out to me is one the eyes, way proportional than inarts close big and sunk in eyeballs. Second is the jacket, the T shaped silhouette is very difficult to achieve around the shoulders, but it looks even better than inarts. I believe this is better than in inart in most points. Unless you prioritize rooted hair, hot toys wins for me, which is crazy to say since I thought inart would be on top for a while.

People in YT not liking the tongue add on aggravates me, how do you not like something so unique to the character that was executed so well? It looks so damn good. While the closed mouth version would also be good, it would stand too close to inarts version.

If you told me this was a 1:4 scale in this photo, I would 100% believe you. Im so excited for what’s next.

View attachment 653389
Quick edit from the video. But I’m sold, I rsvp’ed to grab the rooted. It’s not as good as inarts but there’s always ways to work around it. Still pretty good.

Main thing that stands out to me is one the eyes, way proportional than inarts close big and sunk in eyeballs. Second is the jacket, the T shaped silhouette is very difficult to achieve around the shoulders, but it looks even better than inarts. I believe this is better than in inart in most points. Unless you prioritize rooted hair, hot toys wins for me, which is crazy to say since I thought inart would be on top for a while.

People in YT not liking the tongue add on aggravates me, how do you not like something so unique to the character that was executed so well? It looks so damn good. While the closed mouth version would also be good, it would stand too close to inarts version.

If you told me this was a 1:4 scale in this photo, I would 100% believe you. Im so excited for what’s next.
Honestly the "close big sunken eyes" argument doesn't make sense to me, in person it doesn't look like that and in good photos it doesn't either. Theres lots of bad photos that make the inart figure look bad, the vest just needs to be futzed to get it to sit right and look good. I agree though hot toys looks great.

Honestly the "close big sunken eyes" argument doesn't make sense to me, in person it doesn't look like that and in good photos it doesn't either. Theres lots of bad photos that make the inart figure look bad, the vest just needs to be futzed to get it to sit right and look good. I agree though hot toys looks great.
It’s only a little bit sunken to me but my main argument is how close and big the eyes are. Remove the makeup and it’s really not good at all. It doesn’t resemble heath at all, although the makeup and rooted work is very well done. The best also I’m not a big deal and it can be futzed like you said but I’m liking how hot toys did theirs a bit more. But yeah the eyes are a deal breaker to me.
35EE0858-6836-478B-AB4B-39AB46EB139C.jpeg

Back