1/6 Hot Toys - Solo: A Star Wars Story - HAN SOLO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah it is isn't it. So many characters just in pants and top of some form or another.

Big fur coat really stands out as different.

He could be in Fight Club. :lol

Too bad they cut the line off without doing more. I just re-watched this film. It's got more replay value than even Rogue One (which I loved) because it's got a great mix of drama and lightheartedness. It really feels like Star Wars and the musical score is great too.

A pity it came out at the wrong time and remains under-appreciated. I think in time that may change.

He could be in Fight Club. :lol

Too bad they cut the line off without doing more. I just re-watched this film. It's got more replay value than even Rogue One (which I loved) because it's got a great mix of drama and lightheartedness. It really feels like Star Wars and the musical score is great too.

A pity it came out at the wrong time and remains under-appreciated. I think in time that may change.

Yeah I'd say so too. People were so pi$$ed at the ST, they took it out on Solo. I admit I wanted to send Disney & KK a message that the crap they were serving up was just not Star Wars.

But all I hear now is that people like it. Most certainly the majority more than the ST. So I'd say the chances of a sequel either on the big screen later or Disney+ is pretty high.

Yeah I'd say so too. People were so pi$$ed at the ST, they took it out on Solo. I admit I wanted to send Disney & KK a message that the crap they were serving up was just not Star Wars.

But all I hear now is that people like it. Most certainly the majority more than the ST. So I'd say the chances of a sequel either on the big screen later or Disney+ is pretty high.

Even though I appreciate the ST (and really like TLJ) and love R1 I do think that Solo is probably the most Star Wars of all that Disney has released. It gets better for every time I watch it - and I have to say that I love AE as Han.
...I therefore also believe that the HT Solo figures will go for insane prices in the future.

I'll echo what a lot have said already. I definitely was one of those that initially when hearing about a Solo Prequel thought, "Nooo...why?" Even seeing it at release my first viewing I left somewhat unimpressed. However, with another subsequent home viewing I found that I really enjoyed the film. Some parts more than others of course, but overall it really is a fun film that captures the feel of star wars. Definitely more so than the ST did for me.

I ended up with Deluxe Solo and the Mudtrooper (which is a great design and part of the film).

Honestly I couldn't say that if they announced more figures today I wouldn't order them or if the sequel was announced today I wouldn't watch it.

I think low Solo turnout due to backlash from TLJ is overblown because TLJ video sales were really high. I think it’s more or less that there wasn’t much interest in Solo even among fans and casual moviegoers were invested more in Rey and ST.

Solo bombed in retaliation for the abomination that was TLJ, period. If you take L3 out of Solo it instantly goes from 5.5/10 to 7.5/10. I enjoyed the movie enough that if HT made Beckett and Qira tomorrow I would still buy the figures. As it stands I have two Mudtroopers and will soon have the Maul. I don't think any more figures are coming unless they somehow manage to do a Maul TV show with Emilia Clarke.

Solo bombed in retaliation for the abomination that was TLJ, period. If you take L3 out of Solo it instantly goes from 5.5/10 to 7.5/10. I enjoyed the movie enough that if HT made Beckett and Qira tomorrow I would still buy the figures. As it stands I have two Mudtroopers and will soon have the Maul. I don't think any more figures are coming unless they somehow manage to do a Maul TV show with Emilia Clarke.

You have spoken! ...but that doesn?t necessarily make it truth though ;)

ef87ccbc78b39e771c0dd1a0aac88127.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The data fails to support your conjecture. If this was the case why were TLJ home sales so high if everyone was upset by it in theaters? Why did EP9 make similar, albeit lower box office. Both movies did significantly better than Solo.

The data fails to support your conjecture. If this was the case why were TLJ home sales so high if everyone was upset by it in theaters? Why did EP9 make similar, albeit lower box office. Both movies did significantly better than Solo.

Valid points.

Valid points.

Not valid points. Trilogy movies have always made the most money. TLJ made a ton because it rode the coattails of TFA and the Luke Skywalker cliffhanger, not too many people had a problem TFA at that time. Episode 9 also severely underperformed. Sure it made a billion dollars(barely) but it was a Star Wars trilogy ending movie that came out at Christmas time. It should have easily made TFA type money and it didn't. If the ST was done right episode 9 could have made Endgame type money. It made less than TLJ which qualifies it as a pretty huge failure, albeit still profitable.

Bottom line is Solo came out on the heels of TLJ AND LOST 100 MILLION DOLLARS. Imagine how pathetic it is for a Star Wars movie to actually lose money. The toys stopped selling. Decades long fans stopped caring. It took Jon Favreau and a TV series to stop the bleeding to save the franchise from complete and total ruin at the hands of Kathleen Kennedy.

Not valid points. Trilogy movies have always made the most money. TLJ made a ton because it rode the coattails of TFA and the Luke Skywalker cliffhanger, not too many people had a problem TFA at that time. Episode 9 also severely underperformed. Sure it made a billion dollars(barely) but it was a Star Wars trilogy ending movie that came out at Christmas time. It should have easily made TFA type money and it didn't. If the ST was done right episode 9 could have made Endgame type money. It made less than TLJ which qualifies it as a pretty huge failure, albeit still profitable.

Bottom line is Solo came out on the heels of TLJ AND LOST 100 MILLION DOLLARS. Imagine how pathetic it is for a Star Wars movie to actually lose money. The toys stopped selling. Decades long fans stopped caring. It took Jon Favreau and a TV series to stop the bleeding to save the franchise from complete and total ruin at the hands of Kathleen Kennedy.

Why do you keep ignoring the home sales figures for TLJ? Again, it’s one thing to spend $12-15 for a ticket to see a movie “riding on TFA and Luke” but another to spend twice that to own a movie supposedly disliked by the audience. Do you see how this a large contradiction? I don’t see why people would want to own a movie they allegedly despised so much. You essentially have a film in 2017 make over a billion, then a film flop (Solo) and then large sales for the previous film (TLJ) then TROS come out and make a billion dollars. The timeline of events doesn’t support your claim. If you eliminate the subjective wording of your post you’re not left with much substance.

Why should TROS be held to higher standard and make as much money as TFA when ROTJ made less than A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back?

Also consider this Forbes article that examines box office returns between the prequels and sequels:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...ams-profits-fox-george-lucas/?sh=7acba2746276

Critics loved TLJ but people not so much while it was the opposite for TROS if you look at rottentomatoes.

TLJ
Critics: 90%
People: 43%

TROS
Critics: 51%
People: 86%

Solo
Critics: 70%
People: 64%

It is unfortunate that Solo bombed because it was a great movie IMO (I would have loved to see a sequel with Qi'ra and Maul). The people that saw it seemed to have mainly liked it. I also think TLJ didn't help Solo and the fact that H. Ford was replaced also made many people not see it (even if Ehrenreich did a very decent job). It also didn't help to release so many movies so close. Solo was released only 6 months after TLJ, no Star Wars movies were ever released so close. TROS was about 1.5 year after the last Star Wars movie.

But yes, The Mandalorian reunited the people I think (and the first episode of season 2 reminded us that TROS unfortunately doesn't make any sense, IMO the biggest incoherence of all Star Wars movies).

I agree with you here and think the last Jedi was directly responsible for Solos lack of success. Regarding the last Jedis home video success, most SW fans, and non fans, will still buy the blu ray, or stream from home, but I feel some long time die hard Star Wars fans skipped Solo at the theatre because of last Jedi.

Critics loved TLJ but people not so much while it was the opposite for TROS if you look at rottentomatoes.

TLJ
Critics: 90%
People: 43%

TROS
Critics: 51%
People: 86%

Solo
Critics: 70%
People: 64%

It is unfortunate that Solo bombed because it was a great movie IMO (I would have loved to see a sequel with Qi'ra and Maul). The people that saw it seemed to have mainly liked it. I also think TLJ didn't help Solo and the fact that H. Ford was replaced also made many people not see it (even if Ehrenreich did a very decent job). It also didn't help to release so many movies so close. Solo was released only 6 months after TLJ, no Star Wars movies were ever released so close. TROS was about 1.5 year after the last Star Wars movie.

But yes, The Mandalorian reunited the people I think (and the first episode of season 2 reminded us that TROS unfortunately doesn't make any sense, IMO the biggest incoherence of all Star Wars movies).

I agree as well. I think the Mandalorian brought fans back, and you may say saved the franchise. Thankfully, it was made with Star Wars fans in mind and wasn?t made to subvert expectations. I don?t hate the sequel trilogy, but I do look back with disappointment. And for the record, I saw all 3 films and Solo in theaters and own them all on Blu Ray.

I agree about the Mandalorian as well. I think the show brought fans back, and you may say saved the franchise. Thankfully, it was made with Star Wars fans in mind and wasn?t made to subvert expectations. I don?t hate the sequel trilogy, but I do look back with disappointment. And for the record, I saw all 3 films and Solo in theaters and own them all on Blu Ray.

I'm sure it's possible that *some* long time SW fans boycotted the Solo film. Anything is possible. I doubt it's due to some concerted effort though. I believe that Solo didn't have that word of mouth buzz truly epic movies have.
I was born the year before ANH, and consider myself a lifelong fan, although the first SW film i saw at the cinema was ROTJ, i had seen ANH and TESB on video many times(I wish i had a pound for every time i've watched a SW film, lol). I went to see all the special editions when released, and saw all the prequels several times at the cinema. For the ST, i saw TFA three times(Still love that movie, and even the trailer gives me chills to this day), TLJ once. TROS was the first SW film i haven't seen in the cinema at all. I was just worn out by all the bickering and the stories about many different cuts being made. I's say that TROS makes it into my top 12 SW movies. But only just, lol.
I went to see Solo regardless of TLJ because(As i see it), you can't hit the ball out of the park with every movie. Look at any long running franchise, and there will always be movies that don't resonate, regardless of "how big of a fan" you consider yourself to be.
I saw Rogue One twice, and i also went to the cinema to see the Clone Wars animated movie twice.
For Solo, it's hard to definitively put your finger on what happened.
I don't think we will ever know for sure. It could be the changing of horses mid stream that happened with Directors. We will never know the movie it was going to be. For me, and this is just my personal opinion, i didn't see a lot of "Han" in Alden Ehrenreich's performance. Maybe it's just me. I also felt that it was a story that didn't need to be told(Once again, just personal opinion. Not having a go at anyone if they love it). Han is a great character in all the OT movies, and i still love him in TLJ, and feel his death was very poignant. I *do* enjoy the Solo film. But nothing in it made me want to go back to the cinema and see it again, even though i did buy the Blu Ray and have watched it half a dozen times since it came out.
As the pool of SW movies grows, there will always be stories that don't resonate. People can scream "Toxic fandom", but i am proud to be a SW fan, and enjoy being able to say out loud when i come across something i don't like(But always couched in the "This is just one man's opinion" brackets).
I just think that it's the hallmark of something incredible that can not only bring so many people together, but can also divide them in equal measure.
Anyway, here's what i say:

SW is great. I love it. Give me more.

Isn?t the internet and our times just fantastic!? You can just claim anything that fits your views to be facts. Wonderful.

Back