Hot toys Snowspeeder Pilot Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it better to put the helmet on the head then attach the head to the figure or is it better to attach the head then put the helmet on?

Is it better to put the helmet on the head then attach the head to the figure or is it better to attach the head then put the helmet on?
Neither works well I tried both multiple times and eventually found success with head on first then the helmet but that was also nerve wracking.

I’ve had this figure for about a week and, in short, it’s a total banger. Definitely planning to keep my eyes out for a deal later on to pick up a second one to pose in more of a Dagobah landing look. My main gripes are the added snow piece for the base, I don’t quite see how you can orient it so it’s properly snug up against the base. Luke’s feet are always in the way because of how the weird waist grabber pushes him forward more than usual. And then a couple outfit things—I found the helmet very difficult to get on with the head still on the figure because of the coat collar, and I also found the whole chest box/vest combo to be very difficult to futz. The vest keeps wanting to ride up too high in front, and unless I’m missing something I can’t figure out how to loosen the top two straps on the chest box so it can be moved down and stay as low as it should be either. I’ll probably keep messing with it.

But really, mostly all just minor complaints from me. Once I pulled the head off I did find the helmet to be quite easy to get on and off with no signs I’ve seen so far of possibly damaging the sculpt. In the instructions it is weird because HT say to slide the chinstrap piece in under the snoopy cap against his cheeks, but just as the screenshots above show it obviously should go between the cap and the helmet, since you know, it’s the helmet chin strap. I know Jedha in his video showed that he scratched the face sculpt doing that, and I was really confused why he would’ve put the chin strap in that way until I looked at the instructions booklet and saw that HT screwed up that part of the instructions.
I swapped the waist grabber out with the standard crotch grabber. I originally had the chin straps next to the sculpt as well, but was worried about paint stain on the sculpt so I moved it to how you mentioned it. Between the helmet and snow cap.

Absolutely love the figure. May be HT best Luke IMO.

Attachments

• 20220706_200031.jpg
    20220706_200031.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 0
I swapped the waist grabber out with the standard crotch grabber. I originally had the chin straps next to the sculpt as well, but was worried about paint stain on the sculpt so I moved it to how you mentioned it. Between the helmet and snow cap.

Great pose!

Awesome display! If you loose the helmets , Gandalf, Deadpool, K , Slave one and Big Groogu that could solve some of your space issues . LOL!
Yep that's definitely the backup space plan.

Helmets could go elsewhere, only issue with figures up that high you don't see them so well. But definitely a possibility.

Gandalf and Co only ended up there because I had no where else for them. They really need their own single line wall display cabinet. Plan is to buy a cross cut electric saw to be able to make a box with miter joints. Then put a perspex front on it and wall mount. Just as a favourite movie random figure display.

Slave One and the B-Wing are planned to go into a wall display like this planned mockup below. I have all the models, just need to build and paint the remaining 1/72 scale ships to go in it. Imagine a display with the ships on rods, sort of like one of those butterfly or insect displays at the museum held in place by pins. (see section view).

I don't have the Razorcrest yet. Unsure if that will be replaced by something else longer term. Or if the Naboo starfighter will be it ?? Might fit better and look cooler than the big Razorcrest ??

OK thread de-rail ended. Back to Luke. (or mods @Asta if you want to move this and the questions to the Star Wars Display thread feel free to do that).

Screenshot 2022-07-09 at 13.01.01.jpg

Thanks for the tip Rzeznikk! Definitely helps with the posing look. I'm still futzing with mine to get him into the pose I like. Lol
CCED66EA-A71C-4DFE-939A-F14FC0A9444B.jpeg

I’m so glad I have an extra snow trooper base to keep things somewhat uniform. Mine is flexed until august so I have to just enjoy everyone else’s pics.

Keep in mind in the Hoth base briefing several pilots have just the biege/tan skullcap on, with helmet off. So the helmet's chin straps are supposed to be placed between the skullcap and the helmet, not under the skullcap where it touches the headsculpt's cheeks/side of face.

The Jedha patrol guy did it wrong (inside skullcap so up against the headsculpt cheeks) and had a sharp plastic molded burr on the inside of his chinstrap and scratched the headsculpt on one cheek.

Yep that's definitely the backup space plan.

Helmets could go elsewhere, only issue with figures up that high you don't see them so well. But definitely a possibility.

Gandalf and Co only ended up there because I had no where else for them. They really need their own single line wall display cabinet. Plan is to buy a cross cut electric saw to be able to make a box with miter joints. Then put a perspex front on it and wall mount. Just as a favourite movie random figure display.

Slave One and the B-Wing are planned to go into a wall display like this planned mockup below. I have all the models, just need to build and paint the remaining 1/72 scale ships to go in it. Imagine a display with the ships on rods, sort of like one of those butterfly or insect displays at the museum held in place by pins. (see section view).

I don't have the Razorcrest yet. Unsure if that will be replaced by something else longer term. Or if the Naboo starfighter will be it ?? Might fit better and look cooler than the big Razorcrest ??

OK thread de-rail ended. Back to Luke. (or mods @Asta if you want to move this and the questions to the Star Wars Display thread feel free to do that).

View attachment 587536
Please notify when you make that display! Also, where did you get the TIE Bomber? Was it 3D printed?

IMG_9798.jpg

I'll add to the chorus of people praising this figure- it really is great! It's my first experience with the... odd base design choices HT made here, but everything else about the figure is stellar! It makes a great addition to my Mark Hamill shelf!

Got Luke a few days ago, but he looks way too bulky. Apparently it’s due to his having a day suit, is it easy to remove and does it make him look better?

Got Luke a few days ago, but he looks way too bulky. Apparently it’s due to his having a day suit, is it easy to remove and does it make him look better?
Depending on the scene you are trying to recreate. During the Hoth scenes in the snow facing down the AT-AT he had more padding. But on Dagoba he was thinner without padding.

All about your preference.

Attachments

• 94F78B72-DC3B-49CA-B846-F4BC74B16DF0.jpeg
    94F78B72-DC3B-49CA-B846-F4BC74B16DF0.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 9572D438-BA62-41CA-BEE8-E11B7D38476C.jpeg
    9572D438-BA62-41CA-BEE8-E11B7D38476C.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 18997D9D-85BD-4ECA-86AD-40F2C17D0BE3.jpeg
    18997D9D-85BD-4ECA-86AD-40F2C17D0BE3.jpeg
    231.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 6D5681C7-04F3-4CF1-A8EC-9F4AE1C0D77E.jpeg
    6D5681C7-04F3-4CF1-A8EC-9F4AE1C0D77E.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 0
This is probably mostly for other Luke afficionados like jedijim, but I'm doing a bit of musical chairs with my Luke hairpieces. Still not sure yet.

I'm just not 100% sold on the included Luke Snowspeeder hairpiece. It's nice for sure but it has a touch of the HT farmboy Luke copper tone (not as bad as farmboy) but also the shape and size feels just ever so slightly off. It almost reminds me of those hairpieces designed to have a hat over them (where its shrunken a bit toward the top area to allow for the hat.) Like it needs maybe 10% more volume and has these little "mickey mouse ears" bulges around the ear area almost like Carrie Fisher's daughter's hairstyle in TLJ.

I swapped it to my Dagobah arrival Luke where he's meant to be sort of wet from the swamp and Hamill's hair is less poofy and think it works better. I'm still playing around with my ESB hairpieces to see which one works best for a particular look - the ones on left and right are modded SSC.

I always struggle with HT and SSC hairpieces - I usually like the overall shape of SSC hairpieces, but the HT hairpieces tend to have much better sculpt detail and realsitic paint apps (HT's love of copper for Luke aside.)

XfHncw2.jpg

My second Snowspeeder Luke has arrived.

Its time to upgrade my dx07 and bring Dak Ralter to life.
I just got that head I think it was Marine Boy recommended for my Dak. Are you planning to use a SSC or HT helmet for Dak? I'm trying to push my ROTJ stormtrooper custom so it's done end of next week to start on Dak.

I just got that head I think it was Marine Boy recommended for my Dak. Are you planning to use a SSC or HT helmet for Dak? I'm trying to push my ROTJ stormtrooper custom so it's done end of next week to start on Dak.
Was that the Chris Redfield sculpt? Probably going to go with that one as well.

I am going to use the HT helmet. I don't have any spare SSC helmets.

Was that the Chris Redfield sculpt? Probably going to go with that one as well.

I am going to use the HT helmet. I don't have any spare SSC helmets.
Yeah it is, it's probably a decent enough match, especially with helmet on. I'm using a SSC helmet, so won't feel so bad painting over that helmet deco. :lol

I was thinking about having him in the tan skullcap like in the pics below but I don't love the HT skullcap sculpt (it's a bit Hasbro) and helmeted is obviously the iconic look for Dak.

These are the best ref pics I have for Dak.

kKOdlAE.jpg

Back