Hot Toys Sandtrooper MMS 295

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got this as my first Hot Toys figure a few days ago and I absolutely love it. One of the things that made me really look for it was the great amount and quality of accessories it came with (aside from the pauldron and three weapons, the binoculars were what really pushed me to get this figure over any other). I love having this many accessories because it opens up so many great posing options.

Thinking about getting my 2nd sixth scale figure, and I was wondering what other Star Wars figures have great accessory options like the Sandtrooper had?

Awesome !! And welcome.

The HT Sandtrooper was my first Hot Toys figure too ! Still love him to this day. Sitting next to my computer right now. Such a great iconic look.

More than 20 Star Wars figures later (including Rogue One Jyn Deluxe) I still love it !

Wow, you weren't kidding about how loaded the Deluxe Jyn is. I'm somewhat tempted but I told myself I would only buy armored figures due to personal preference of how larges pieces cloth looks on figures in general, as well as my disliking the human faces on my toys lol (though high quality and realistic). Who knows how long my resolve would last though, Deluxe Jyn looks like a great deal

Sideshow Tusken Raider has a lot of extras...it’s a great compliment piece.

Wow, you weren't kidding about how loaded the Deluxe Jyn is. I'm somewhat tempted but I told myself I would only buy armored figures due to personal preference of how larges pieces cloth looks on figures in general, as well as my disliking the human faces on my toys lol (though high quality and realistic). Who knows how long my resolve would last though, Deluxe Jyn looks like a great deal

I can’t think of too many armored figures that come with much. The Sideshow Deluxe 501st comes to mind but it’s hard to find for a decent price. There’s a Rogue One Jedha Stormtrooper that has a nifty backpack on it.

Yeah, I've been looking at the Jedha Patrol releases/ versions. I'm actually still holding out hope that HT makes it easy for me and just releases the Sandtrooper sergeant to go along with what I already have, but if I end up not being able to help myself, I'll probably just get the regular version of the Jedha Patrol trooper and toy with the idea of repainting its pauldron so that it looks a bit more different than the Sandtrooper (if I can manage to do it properly).

Don't get me started on the Sideshow clones though, I've been practicing utmost discipline and patience in waiting for HT to come up with their own line lol their Commander Cody gives me hope

Here’s my Variants...and custom sandtrooper squad leader.

DBFD9BE6-8508-43B6-832B-F760F839E1FA.jpg

1851EE00-84B5-43EF-8179-EE60803EDC70.jpg

Those look great! I can tell the one in the middle is the Sandtrooper (with a different pauldron), are the rest just Jedha Patrol ones? Is the weathering distinct enough between the models? Also how was the customization process for you haha

Those look great! I can tell the one in the middle is the Sandtrooper (with a different pauldron), are the rest just Jedha Patrol ones? Is the weathering distinct enough between the models? Also how was the customization process for you haha

I used the Marmit pauldrons for the others and one Hot Toys..for weathering I removed the dirt app with acetone...very little or added custom weathering on the Marmit armor.

Yeah, I've been looking at the Jedha Patrol releases/ versions. I'm actually still holding out hope that HT makes it easy for me and just releases the Sandtrooper sergeant to go along with what I already have, but if I end up not being able to help myself, I'll probably just get the regular version of the Jedha Patrol trooper and toy with the idea of repainting its pauldron so that it looks a bit more different than the Sandtrooper (if I can manage to do it properly).

Don't get me started on the Sideshow clones though, I've been practicing utmost discipline and patience in waiting for HT to come up with their own line lol their Commander Cody gives me hope

I grabbed the two Jedha troopers to bulk out my Sandtrooper squad. They aren't Sandtooper accurate (the flaps on the side of the belt are an obvious giveaway and they have the revised R1 helmet) but all together they look great. I posted some pics which are a mix of the SS, HT Sandy and Jedha here https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172979&p=9823334&viewfull=1#post9823334

Painted an extra orange pauldron I had, black. I was nervous that the paint wouldn’t take, but it turned out great.

My third Sandy should be here in a couple days. The Tatooine Detachment is slowly coming together. [emoji12]

96b10bcb04374a6fc25cd1a82f0859bd.jpg
e50cbd6aafdcc3dcd3c3198d5fb9e449.jpg
f47c3d2cc9e9e14b13c9b36176104a53.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next up is to do proper shoulder straps for the duty pack.

I found several of theses rifle slings on eBay that should do the trick. I just need to weather them and add buckles, rivets, and a couple d-rings.

They will partially sit in between and under both the shoulder bells, and the shoulder portion of the chest armor. A fair portion will stick out in back just before they attach to the top of the pack frame.

c4ed2b8b8784c4cf2cdf966858900b02.jpg
4229129241966de4ab7c2a16201b68a2.jpg
995267da64692dda7cb9d3458863670f.jpg
e0958c878f11f74f67f8187406bc0dd4.jpg

You can’t really see if they have these nicer padded straps in any of the hi-def screen grabs from ANH, but you can (barely) see that there is some buckles and hardware in a couple scenes. The Jedha Patrol troops also have padded straps for their duty packs in R1, so it’s in continuity even if you cannot clearly see them in ANH.

Something else of note is that all of the more advanced, accuracy obsessed Sandtrooper cosplayers all add these padded shoulder straps to their life size duty packs. So wether they are 100% accurate or not, they look amazing, add a level of detail and realism and are in-line with real life military gear, so it works for me.

Here’s an example from a cosplayer tutorial to illustrate what I’m going for.

bbb1ad1088fa6ca70a6b7fcbc3828a23.jpg

And here’s a bunch of examples from the movie and some behind the scenes photos to support my decision.

cf9bec6e39033c7236ddf96d90552411.png
09ecb2032d362b66afb988e227858b3f.png
1f6805c7a25f4240e3b6005f84f8829c.png

And here’s two of the best images I could find.

6f6f658af9c680bc1332925d6327cdbf.png
ebbce3e48ec308dcfc46dbd7ab0cd540.png

And lastly here’s a couple pics of the Jedha duty pack’s padded straps

7538eb3ebd415fa1476dda204fe8725f.jpg
0e2973bb3e9bd762e9c875a41fc0eff7.png

Nice WTC. The straps pin the HT Sandies are pretty basic. Interested to see how this turns out.

Speaking of the backpack. I have a plastic rod that keeps falling off. I think it's meant to clip onto the frame. But I can't remember where it's supposed to go. It's very loose, perhaps it was once glued on ??

Nice WTC. The straps pin the HT Sandies are pretty basic. Interested to see how this turns out.

Speaking of the backpack. I have a plastic rod that keeps falling off. I think it's meant to clip onto the frame. But I can't remember where it's supposed to go. It's very loose, perhaps it was once glued on ??

I believe you’re referring to the “Lab Pipe” it’s a plastic rod that clamps onto the top left of the duty pack if you are facing the back of the trooper. If your nervous about applying force to the frame to reattach it, don’t worry about it, because not all of the Tatooine Detachment has them on their duty packs anyway.

Heres what it looks like, is this what you mean?

c3af653cdc1aeac3f657bd00c29d57b4.png
11b503cbb002db22a918a7235ea29c46.jpg

Yep that's it. I'm pretty sure the clamp bit on mine is now wider than the pack frame OD. So it's not holding in place. I'll need to have a closer look one day. Maybe glue it. But it goes on vertical I see.

Back