Hot Toys Sandtrooper MMS 295

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting that he has a warning note for a couple minutes while showcasing the accessories that the backpack is very thin plastic and to be very careful.

This figure looks so good. Stormtroopers/Sandtroopers are so badass for the first half hour of Star Wars (killing rebels, executing civilians, slaughtering Jawas and framing sand people). Then they're suddenly useless the rest of the trilogy.

OMG's back? Well, I'll be damned.

deathtombstone.png

I don't recall making a final verdict on the helmet until it was in hand. But if your saying the Marmit sculpt is better, I would say that while they got many things right, it's just doesn't look like a real stunt helmet to be better. Even if HT got somethings wrong, the signature is the frown and they got the distance right from the frown to the bottom of the mask or top of vocoder direct speaker.

There's just not a more accurate posable 1/6th bucket out there.

I don't think I'll try to change your mind, it's simply not worth it. :) We've had this discussion over with Stormtroopers and took a long time for you to see the problems with the HT TK, and I'm still not sure you are convinced about it yet either. The HT Sandtrooper is somehow a different sculpt, but if you'd look closely at a helmet made from screen used (RS, TE/TE2 etc.) and not just a photo, and then make the comparison you'll realize that what I'm saying is true. On various details the HT might be better, but on overall sculpt Marmit still has it.

Very cool pics James. :clap
Cannot wait for my Sandie to arrive. But my wait will be long since not sure when it will come at my distributor

[...]The HT Sandtrooper is somehow a different sculpt, [...] On various details the HT might be better, but on overall sculpt Marmit still has it.

Solo, jkno: I respect both of your opinions as fellow Stormtrooper aficionados, but on this one I think I'll lean towards Sergiu's opinion. I'll see the HT sandtrooper helmet in-hand by the end of the week, so I can make a final assessment then, but right now I'm feeling that I love it and it captures/illustrates the ANH stunt helmet exceptionally well, without being a faithful replica. The Marmit also has minor issues, but as I've said before...at this scale 95% on a couple of releases is pretty amazing after years of next to nothing. And the Hot Toys quality carries it well past any small inaccuracies when the overall "vibe" is there.

There were some pictures of helmets circulating that were supposedly from Rogue One. Interestingly enough, the frown and overall vibe of the HT stunt looks a lot like that alleged Rogue One stormtrooper bucket, which makes me wonder if they won't be trotting that out -- or something very similar -- for the inevitable Rogue One stormtrooper figure.

Mine is scheduled to change December 10th as well. Stoked to get it. I'll probably have to put the Tie Pilot from Sideshow on hold for now but this guy wins out (plus I paid the NRD for the Sandtrooper already).

I don't think I'll try to change your mind, it's simply not worth it. :) We've had this discussion over with Stormtroopers and took a long time for you to see the problems with the HT TK, and I'm still not sure you are convinced about it yet either. The HT Sandtrooper is somehow a different sculpt, but if you'd look closely at a helmet made from screen used (RS, TE/TE2 etc.) and not just a photo, and then make the comparison you'll realize that what I'm saying is true. On various details the HT might be better, but on overall sculpt Marmit still has it.

Very cool pics James. :clap
Cannot wait for my Sandie to arrive. But my wait will be long since not sure when it will come at my distributor

My problem was I was referring to the sandtrooper helmet in the stormtrooper thread. I didn't order any HT stormtroopers because they didn't get the helmet close enough to my liking. I still like the Marmit armor better, especially if it had crisper edges and quality plastic. But painted and put on another body they look exceptional. They just missed the helmet.

Yes, I think at certain angles the HT Stormy looks better than any other, but still off.

Not arguing, but for me...nothing has been better than this sandtrooper helmet sculpt. I've been waiting a long time for this. I tried to print my own 1/6 bucket and I see the challenges HT ran across. The software smoothed edges and trying to make a symmetric sculpt screws up the eyes of you are working off a scanned image.

Cheers! :)

Back