Hot Toys Sandtrooper MMS 295

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do you think the pack was made so fragile?

It's hard to explain If you've ever had sideshow one its the same as that, which I thought was flimsy and cheap
The sand trooper figure however is on another level of hot toys brilliance and leaves the sideshow one trailing by a country mile

It's hard to explain If you've ever had sideshow one its the same as that, which I thought was flimsy and cheap
The sand trooper figure however is on another level of hot toys brilliance and leaves the sideshow one trailing by a country mile

IMO the Stormtrooper looked great BUT since their is no human HT realistic likeness and is shiny/clean it still could pass as a toy. I have seen it in person and my thoughts were toy before high end. I’m not mocking the figure, it’s just the nature of the design. In the case of the Sandtrooper and it’s weathering, Do you think it pushes past the “toy” boundaries and appears as a miniature. I hope so, weathering goes a long way!!

The SSC Sandtrooper backpack, as well as Medicom, Marmit and Kotobukiya ones were all made of light plastic, I think the companies wanted it to be light enough not to topple the figure too easily.

IMO the Stormtrooper looked great BUT since their is no human HT realistic likeness and is shiny/clean it still could pass as a toy. I have seen it in person and my thoughts were toy before high end. I’m not mocking the figure, it’s just the nature of the design. In the case of the Sandtrooper and it’s weathering, Do you think it pushes past the “toy” boundaries and appears as a miniature. I hope so, weathering goes a long way!!

I have all kinds of Stormtrooper figures, statue, busts, in all sizes and forms, and from cheap ones to very expensive ones. HT TK does not look, neither feel, like a toy.

The SSC Sandtrooper backpack, as well as Medicom, Marmit and Kotobukiya ones were all made of light plastic, I think the companies wanted it to be light enough not to topple the figure too easily.
Good point. Am sure this is one of the main reasons.

Just bought the hell out of one of these.

It was my destiny.

<james brown dance> Ungh! </james brown dance>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what it is I think

Just bought the hell out of one of these.

It was my destiny.

<james brown dance> Ungh! </james brown dance>

I think I am right behind you. I need another Sandtrooper like I need a hole in the head, but this one looks amazing.

Do you guys this figure will be one of the first SW related HT being sold out first. I think many of the others might be around for awhile!

Stormtroopers seems to be the only ones that have sold out beyond the Han chewy 2 pack but you can still get those in single form. This might be the case with the sandy as well.

Yeah, like SSC's Probe Droid, I think people are confusing light weight with "cheap". I don't have the benefit of having mine in-hand, yet, but I'm going to guess it is not cheap at all but like you mention light weight so the figure can actually... um, stand on its own. I really hate the light = cheap mentality so prevalent on these forums. Maybe they should've made it out of solid diecast. :p

Or maybe lead. Lead is pretty heavy. Or plutonium. It has an atomic mass of 244 AMU 19 grams per cubic centimeter.

I think that's scale fidelity, not flimsiness! :) The frame on the SS and Marmit versions are molded as a solid plate while HT went with the correct (and to scale) tubular frame. The only way for the frame not to be flimsy would be to mold it more thickly than would be accurate, or to solder it together in metal.

brentce

My knee-jerk reaction is cost cutting, but that depends on how you define "flimsy". I don't find the SSC packs "flimsy" at all, so it just depends on how the HT is in comparison.

I do agree that light does not equal low-quality and vice versa; but there are build-quality and materials choices to factor in.

I'll know soon enough!

I like the backpacks like I liked my ladies, light , flexible and un breakable.

I just bought parts on eBay to make an alternate black or white paulron version..until the squad leader gets delivered. I'll use my sideshow backpack s until hot toys releases different versions. I didn't want to mix Marmits and Hot toys on my displays.

My knee-jerk reaction is cost cutting, but that depends on how you define "flimsy". I don't find the SSC packs "flimsy" at all, so it just depends on how the HT is in comparison.

I do agree that light does not equal low-quality and vice versa; but there are build-quality and materials choices to factor in.

I'll know soon enough!

I think The SSC packs are really, really nice and not flimsy at all. The accurate frame and the frame's angle on the HT version are more accurate, but for sure conribute to any flimisness over the SSC.

Mine should be here Tuesday (my birthday)!!

I like the backpacks like I liked my ladies, light , flexible and un breakable.

I just bought parts on eBay to make an alternate black or white paulron version..until the squad leader gets delivered. I'll use my sideshow backpack s until hot toys releases different versions. I didn't want to mix Marmits and Hot toys on my displays.

I think the SSC backpacks and pauldrons will fit right in with a HT sandtrooper display. Both are really excellent.

I think the SSC backpacks and pauldrons will fit right in with a HT sandtrooper display. Both are really excellent.

I'm hoping so. That way I can continue to army build by just buying pieces. I don't end up using all the hands on one guy anyway, so they can be spread around the various troopers and the SS back packs are pretty danged incredible. I'll just us HT armor, ammo pouches and what ever else I think is a must buy....but in a pinch i'll us SS parts so I don't have to buy all new guys for every display. One new sand trooper of each release is good, but not enough and I'm not going to buy several brand new, in box troopers just to display next to my dio's.

This will also help me repurpose my Marmit's at the office. Maybe the HT buckets and forearms and boots will suffice to make a Marmit a justifiable inexpensive imitation?

The cool thing it would be that the other 2 HT Sandies to come with different backpacks like SSC did. Koto statues and GG busts had the same backpacks.

BTW is the backpack attached ONLY with the straps? I used double sided tape on my SSC trio of Sandies to be sure it will stay. Maybe I wil lhave to use the double sided tape once again, on HT this time

Back