Hot Toys Sandtrooper and Dewback 1/6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How close were we on our pricing estimate? I thought it was going to be about $100 more than it ended up being. $450 for a beast this size seems decent.
As I recall you estimated it as $450+ so you pretty much nailed it. I was thinking $400 to $415, guessing it wouldn't be more than $100 higher than the blurrg. But based on some of the price tags on their other releases this isn't ridiculous....relatively speaking, that is. :lol

I guess...
giphy.gif

I'm caught between upgrading to this new Hot Toys Dewback or just keeping my Sideshow one. I'm definitely getting the new Sandtrooper. View attachment 657225
I'd argue that the SSC version is maybe just a tad better in terms of overall sculpt and presentation as an ANH Dewy, but the HT version has a whole other level of sculpt detail plus those really incredible paint apps.

I've never seen the SSC version in-person but in some pics the apps look much better than in most of the pics you see of it, so I often give it a bit more credit.

The HT vs SSC size will be super interesting to see side-by-side. Maybe if someone can put a tape measure next to the SSC version at the exact same points where HT has shown its dimensions on its version we could know. HT initially seemed to be slightly smaller than the SSC, but now with dims provided seems like its a bit bigger, at least taller.

At first glance it did make me wonder if they were going to give us separate heads that just plug in at the front. Given where the harness encircles its neck it would be convenient way to hide where they join together. But then I remembered this was Hot Toys...
Yeah, I thought of the swap-out complete heads on the SSC Tauntaun. Hopefully the Dewy jaws swap seamlessly because I know a lot of people complained about a quite ugly seam line on the Blurrg jaw (that made it look like it was articulated but wasn't.) Hopefully the Dewback doesn't have a similar ugly seam line.

The hair is way too thick but it is there in that very first OT image...

latest

latest
It's based on the Mando Dewback that has thicker, greener and more extensive fur. The ANH version has thinner/wispy brownish fur and less of it (it's really only there to cover the prop's head/torso and tail/torso seams,) and yeah it's part of the creature, not the saddle. Though on the HT it almost appears to be an extension of the saddle because its so dense and contiguous.

Yeah, I thought of the swap-out complete heads on the SSC Tauntaun. Hopefully the Dewy jaws swap seamlessly because I know a lot of people complained about a quite ugly seam line on the Blurrg jaw (that made it look like it was articulated but wasn't.) Hopefully the Dewback doesn't have a similar ugly seam line.
I have a Blurrg and had never noticed a seam until I read your post. It's on his underside and between his little T-Rex arms and the throat lash of his bridle it's completely obscured while on display. I suppose if you had it on a shelf high above your head it might be visible but otherwise it's a complete non-issue. Collectors can be so anal. :lol
Anyway, if the Dewback has a seam like my Blurgg I'll be fine with it.

I have a Blurrg and had never noticed a seam until I read your post. It's on his underside and between his little T-Rex arms and the throat lash of his bridle it's completely obscured while on display. I suppose if you had it on a shelf high above your head it might be visible but otherwise it's a complete non-issue. Collectors can be so anal. :lol
Anyway, if the Dewback has a seam like my Blurgg I'll be fine with it.
Here's one! Someone who actually bought a HT Blurrg! They do exist! :lol

I thought long and hard about it (the reason I watched so many Blurrg YT reviews) but decided it was too much room to dedicate for something I was just going to use as a fun Battle for Endor Ewoks custom (though I will grab Kuiil if I can get a great deal). But yeah some YT reviewers really hated that seam for whatever reason, but it was mostly plasticky appearance and cheap-toy skin paint everyone faulted.

It's going for pretty cheap these days so I'm increasingly tempted but with the Dewback in the mix not sure I can commit now anyway.

I have neither the space nor budget for this, but it looks great.

Tempted to just grab the Sandtrooper and have him be my Davin Felth.
GITR4.jpg

The unsung hero of Star Wars Legends.

Here's one! Someone who actually bought a HT Blurrg! They do exist! :lol

I thought long and hard about it (the reason I watched so many Blurrg YT reviews) but decided it was too much room to dedicate for something I was just going to use as a fun Battle for Endor Ewoks custom (though I will grab Kuiil if I can get a great deal). But yeah some YT reviewers really hated that seam for whatever reason, but it was mostly plasticky appearance and cheap-toy skin paint everyone faulted.

It's going for pretty cheap these days so I'm increasingly tempted but with the Dewback in the mix not sure I can commit now anyway.
Well I wanted Kuiil and IMO he was just too tiny by himself so I had to have a Blurrg for him to ride. I know, I know - it's a $300 accessory for a $200 figure but I think they make for a great pair on display so I have no regrets lol.

I have noticed it on sale at a few places recently (Comic Concepts currently has it on sale for $230 and the Kuiil/Blurrg combo for $450) so if you're seriously considering it now might be the time to bite.

Awaiting the local PO price for Oz..
Has to be over 1k for the deluxe set for sure.
This may be a wait til it's in country and snag a deal off ebay kinda thing.
Prices are exorbitant now,but this will be mine!!

It’s made of something they call polystone. It’s definitely a ceramic type material like a statue. The base and beast are made of the same material with metal poles in its feet to help it sit properly onto the sand base. Much easier to break than a plastic piece like I’m hoping this is. I’ve seen several drawbacks for sale where the toes or tail have broken off. Not great for shipping although it is packed securely in thick styrofoam and mine arrived safely I’d be worried about selling and shipping mine with no guarantees that someone wouldn’t try to pull a fast one claiming it broke in transit.
When many collectors say "heavy resin/polystone statues" they believe those statues are like solid stone, when in fact, they are pretty hollow. In fact there are PVC statues that have a solid core while many polystone are just a thicker shell of resin/polystone.

Contacted my EU distributor in Germany to see when they bring the Dewbie and Sandie duo for pre-order. I believe next week I'll get an answer. The good thing is they offer all kind of cool deals and always offer free shipping, as I ordered dozens of pieces from them for decades already.

When many collectors say "heavy resin/polystone statues" they believe those statues are like solid stone, when in fact, they are pretty hollow. In fact there are PVC statues that have a solid core while many polystone are just a thicker shell of resin/polystone.
Gotcha. The sideshow dewbie is pretty heavy especially with the base but it does seem to have some hollow sections. I’m more inclined to get the HT to insure longevity but what to do with the SS is the question. Perhaps a patrol with one being male and the other female? Not sure of the dewback hierarchy or modes of reproduction. 🤣

As I recall you estimated it as $450+ so you pretty much nailed it. I was thinking $400 to $415, guessing it wouldn't be more than $100 higher than the blurrg. But based on some of the price tags on their other releases this isn't ridiculous....relatively speaking, that is. :lol
To be fair, I started the pricing commentary at "close to twice the price of the Blurgg...", so I think your low ball number brought me down to the actual price. It's all true...from a certain point of view :)

Back