Hot Toys Sandtrooper and Dewback 1/6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does look good. Doesn't make me want to get rid of the SSC version though. It still looks great on display.

But this set looks good. Way better than those early show shots. That SB shot really shows some stunning detail.
Seven hundred smackers though...flirting with tap out time here....

1692427648497.png

Let's think about it...if the trooper on the lizard is $700, imagine what an HT Jabba w/ throne is gonna be...

Tap out, indeed.

Hate to be photoshop guy, but I do wish they had pulled this Dewback sculpt further away from their original Mando sculpt and more toward ANH in overall proportions. The Mando Dewback almost looks pregnant its so fat and the head is proportionately smaller to the body (and more squished into the body, less extended forward like in ANH) and it has a pretty stubby tail. I played around with it to make the head a bit larger, the belly not so fat/low and the tail a little longer.

I've bought this as a Mando Dewback to have Mando riding, but I've gotten the sandie combo just to have another sandie for my group. I get most aren't as picky, but not sure this really feels ANH enough to me as-is, but I love Dewbacks too much to not to have gotten this and the paint apps are incredible. I'll trim back the fur a little on the forehead to get a hint more of the ANH look.

anh-mando.png

Remarkable that you can take a near ten year old figure, change the pauldron, and sell it for $35 more. Truly staggering they didn't sculpt a new helmet and just went with that dated (and somewhat inaccurate) "move along" version. Hopefully the weathering will be as good as the proto.

I'm always up for more affordable sandie/stormie parts though, especially OT-style given that HT seems to have gone with Disneytroopers for their standard stormies going forward (recent chrome version for example.)
Welcome to the club. You are member here since 2022, we discussed about Hot Toys, Sideshow and other companies product accuracy here and on other forums for decades. Members here know that I'm a stickler for accuracy, especially with my Original Trilogy Imperials focus; heck I'm a proud member of the "Rivet counters" club. But we also need to understand that these companies don't really care about minute details like some of us do. When the collectors will understand that as well, they will live a more peaceful life. Trust me :wink1:

Has it been mentioned what it's made of?
Also definitely no base?
I was also curious about the material being used. I looked through the description and couldn’t find anything. What is the Blurg made of? Does anyone have one that can confirm what material they used? Most likely the same material that dewy will be made from.

I was also curious about the material being used. I looked through the description and couldn’t find anything. What is the Blurg made of? Does anyone have one that can confirm what material they used? Most likely the same material that dewy will be made from.
Curious about this as well. They could make it from the same material as the Blurg indeed.

BTW what was the Sideshow Dewback made of?

Curious about this as well. They could make it from the same material as the Blurg indeed.

BTW what was the Sideshow Dewback made of?
It’s made of something they call polystone. It’s definitely a ceramic type material like a statue. The base and beast are made of the same material with metal poles in its feet to help it sit properly onto the sand base. Much easier to break than a plastic piece like I’m hoping this is. I’ve seen several drawbacks for sale where the toes or tail have broken off. Not great for shipping although it is packed securely in thick styrofoam and mine arrived safely I’d be worried about selling and shipping mine with no guarantees that someone wouldn’t try to pull a fast one claiming it broke in transit.

It’s made of something they call polystone. It’s definitely a ceramic type material like a statue. The base and beast are made of the same material with metal poles in its feet to help it sit properly onto the sand base. Much easier to break than a plastic piece like I’m hoping this is. I’ve seen several drawbacks for sale where the toes or tail have broken off. Not great for shipping although it is packed securely in thick styrofoam and mine arrived safely I’d be worried about selling and shipping mine with no guarantees that someone wouldn’t try to pull a fast one claiming it broke in transit.
You mean the Sideshow Dewback or the Blurg?

Polystone is a combination of plastics, resins and stone. Personally in this case I'd rather have a Hot Toys Dewback made of plastic like PVC or ABS, than polystone, despite many collectors loving ploystone for statues. Polystone is heavier, but much more brittle and fragile.

Lot of reviewers on YT complaining about the Blurrg as in-hand feeling like a $20 kids toy due to the light weight, slight sheen and somewhat less than stellar paint apps (plus a few molding/glue seams.) So I'm assuming rotocast or injection molded plastic so Dewback may be the same.

They make it out of injection molded plastic and it's durable, lighter/cheaper to ship but people complain that it feels "cheap" for a high end collectible. They make it out of resin/polystone and it's fragile, heavy/expensive to ship but people praise it as feeling more "quality" in keeping with how a high end collectible should be.

I never get this - I've never associated weight with quality when it comes to collectibles, but I may be in the minority on that.

It's just a demonstration of the options.
It's a sort of weird way to show the swappable jaw piece with this complete unpainted head in the background. It just looks sort of interesting, so some people might assume it's an included extra display piece of some kind like all those extra bits that come with HT and SSC Vaders (stands/podiums with parts of the hlemets or extra heads etc.)

I think that goofy hillbilly-teeth open Dewback mouth will be like the giant-tongue mouth from the newer Sideshow Jabba - it's fun to try out but no one would display it with that mouth when there's a more realistic option.

Lot of reviewers on YT complaining about the Blurrg as in-hand feeling like a $20 kids toy due to the light weight, slight sheen and somewhat less than stellar paint apps (plus a few molding/glue seams.) So I'm assuming rotocast or injection molded plastic so Dewback may be the same.

They make it out of injection molded plastic and it's durable, lighter/cheaper to ship but people complain that it feels "cheap" for a high end collectible. They make it out of resin/polystone and it's fragile, heavy/expensive to ship but people praise it as feeling more "quality" in keeping with how a high end collectible should be.

I never get this - I've never associated weight with quality when it comes to collectibles, but I may be in the minority on that.
I don't care if it is light s a feather, if it looks good and is decently accurate. Weight doesn't necessarily mean quality, the most accurate Stormie helmets for example are made of HDPE or ABS and not fiberglass or resin.

Back