Hot Toys rubber deterioration

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This reminds me of a friend of mine who had best chef in Europe cook at his house one evening. He wanted to be able to impress his friends with what was cooked, so rather than eat any of it he encased the whole 7-course shebang in clear acrylic. I have to say it all looks fantastic.

This reminds me of a friend of mine who didn't want to see his dog grow old. So he had the dog put down, stuffed it and now has it in the corner next to the fireplace.

He's had that stuffed dog 18 years now, and that dog hasn't aged a day in all that time.

Hahahahahaha that guy is just awesome!! Amazing! thanks lejuan, this story made my day

https://cgi.ebay.com/1980s-WWF-Hulk...330?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415288732a

What are those WWF wrestling figures in the 80's made of? I used to have these as a kid. They felt like rubber to me. Now used ones are still offered on eBay. I think we're okay. I think it's kind of crazy or paranoid to say these hot toys rubber figures won't last a decade. What are you guys doing? I used to really take a Hogan figure and body slam the Iron Shiek. A figure in each hand and the battles would last for hours until my mom told me to go do my homework. So unless you're 10 yrs old, and really throwing a boxing match between Rocky and Clubber Lang until homework time, I think you have nothing to worry about.

Display it, enjoy it, leave it alone.

do any of you believe the T-800 leather jacket and pants will have any deteriorating problems over time? also for the Sarah Connor Hot Toys that was released recently, are her rubber arms pose a problem in the future?

maybe Hot Toys should start making their figures out of cold cast polystone?

The old WWF figures are made from way stiffer rubber than the HT style muscle bodies.

I'm pretty sure they were made out of PVC, like the Smurfs figurines. And yes, they'll definitely deteriorate in time.

As for me, I found a simple solution to the rubber problem - I sold all my 1:6 figures and limit myself to statues and PFs exclusively.

I'm pretty sure they were made out of PVC, like the Smurfs figurines. And yes, they'll definitely deteriorate in time.

As for me, I found a simple solution to the rubber problem - I sold all my 1:6 figures and limit myself to statues and PFs exclusively.

how do those stand up over time, polystone and resin cold casts? it's very humid and muggy where I live and was wondering if those will deteriorate over the long run?

how do those stand up over time, polystone and resin cold casts? it's very humid and muggy where I live and was wondering if those will deteriorate over the long run?

I haven't had any problems so far but I try to keep my house relatively cool and dry. I also keep my statues out of direct sunlight.

I would guess that the polystone will probably last a lifetime, although the paint could fade or chip over time. Again, keeping the statue in a controlled climate and away from sunlight should prevent that from ever happening. To my knowledge, we have yet to hear of any PFs breaking down due to age.

The only other issue would be deterioration of the materials, but that shouldn't be an issue in a controlled environment. Again, keeping moisture away from the materials and avoiding sunlight to prevent fading should be sufficient to avoid any serious problems. Obviously, you'll want to keep the moths away, too.

Metals can tarnish and rust if exposed to air and moisture, and plastics can get discoloured, but that's about the extent of it. Naturally, any rubber parts are subject to the usual deterioration issues.

thank you Skutto, I was thinking of purchasing a couple of statues from MindzEye Studios, the Hellboy ones and I think those are the same materials as the SideShow PF statues?

thank you Skutto, I was thinking of purchasing a couple of statues from MindzEye Studios, the Hellboy ones and I think those are the same materials as the SideShow PF statues?

Presumably. Most modern statues are made of polystone, while some are still made of "classic" materials like marble, porcelain or ceramics. In any case, all of those materials are built to withstand the elements over long periods of time.

i placed a cup of water in the detolf to keep up humidity and also placed a couple of those small hot toys white packages inside that say 'do not eat' as they supposedly suck up any moisture in the air! i

This means you just added water in the cabinet to be absorbed by the silica gel packages? But the silica gel absorbs water until it's full.

Anyway I know of the problems with the Hot Toys Appleseed figures, where the inner elbow joints got cracked paint and ruptured. Not my case (for now - and hopefully never or not very soon) but it happened to a few, maybe Wookster could share some light on this.

This reminds me of a friend of mine who didn't want to see his dog grow old. So he had the dog put down, stuffed it and now has it in the corner next to the fireplace.

He's had that stuffed dog 18 years now, and that dog hasn't aged a day in all that time.

One of the creepiest things to do to a pet... LOL

Thanks for the links and info!

The funny thing is that polystone is a type of plastic as well...

The funny thing is that polystone is a type of plastic as well...

Technically, it's made primarily of resin, which does not deteriorate once it sets. It's like epoxy glue - once it hardens, it's almost impossible to remove.

While time will tell if polystone has long-term durability, there's no question it'll outlast any existing rubber or plastic by decades.

I think it's kind of crazy or paranoid to say these hot toys rubber figures won't last a decade.

Uh, no. It's crazy and paranoid to believe these things will last more than a decade. I have science, and a number of Hot Toys rubber products that have already started the process on my side. Care to share your proof that they will last more than a decade?

Ask the owners of Hot Toys Batman, Rambo and ED-209 figures how the rubber is working out for them.

Hot Toys Batman figures have oil leaking out of them. It's probably a plasticizer chemical which is used to keep the rubber pliant. It usually takes years for the chemical to start leaking but these are already doing it. The rubber suit figures will start cracking at the stress points, but that is just a symptom of the larger problem of the rubber losing it's structure. Every rubber suited figure will eventually crack and crumble.

Technically, it's made primarily of resin, which does not deteriorate once it sets. It's like epoxy glue - once it hardens, it's almost impossible to remove.

While time will tell if polystone has long-term durability, there's no question it'll outlast any existing rubber or plastic by decades.

Polystone is not immune to breakdown. I have old model kits made from resin that have turned yellow with age, just like cheap plastic toys. Granted, they will probably last longer than say, a rubber action figure. But the paint will eventually peel and the resin may start to discolor or crumble. How long will it take? Who knows. But if you buy these statues in your twenties, I would not plan on retiring with a set of mint condition statues. But I am paranoid so who knows. :)

not to throw this off topic, but would sending these to AFA to be graded and encased in their special acrylic UV resistant cases help in any way to prevent the deteriorating?

Back