Hot Toys rubber deterioration

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw this recent photo of John Connor's jacket on facebook.

26171045_10212587568978886_63269072145370455_o.jpg

forest camouflage. nice. works really well in T4 setting. if people have whitened teeth, they might still have forests.

I've sold my Hot Toys Appleseed Briareos & Tereus, and Takara Deunan - though I kept HT Deunan. About 2 years ago used a bit of silicone spray on all of them. All four figures are in perfect condition, no rubber damage whatsoever.

But I'm also wondering what to use to preserve the pleather suit on the Hot Toys ANH Vader, it is fine and dandy now, but in a few years, who knows

For those who actually use something on their pleather HT clothing, I'm curious - what product is your favorite?

Use something that is specifically designed to clean plastic pleather or vinyl. 3M Marine Vinyl Cleaner is a good one that is used by car people for the vinyl seats. Don't use anything like Armor All or silicone based protectants as they can dry out the vinyl requiring you to keep using those products....

I personally don't use anything on my figures and they all look and feel as good as the day they were removed from the box. They are also in a temperature controlled room with no sunlight.

For those who actually use something on their pleather HT clothing, I'm curious - what product is your favorite?

i use rubber shine for tires. get the neutral color instead of black.

i tried shoe shine it's too thin to do much.

It just amazes me that people make excuses for what Hot Toys puts out. As much as people pay and they have to give it maintenance???? And people defend this **** companies policies?? I have some HT stuff from the past, but probably will pass on any future endeavors.

I don't have any issues with my few HT figures with pleather and rubber - though I only had 3 rubber ones (Appleseed) and a pleather one (Vader). I totally agree on the fact that many collectible companies are using these cheap materials for their stuff. I've seen various statues with pleather, rubber and fabric issues, and even props (Master Replicas lightsabers sticky grip issues for example, or cracking paint on Snowspeeder model). In the end the thing is these items will not last forever, especially with the low quality material used on some of them, and considering ways to prolong their life could help.

My TDKR catwoman pleather starting got a litle tear. Always dust free.

My older DX T-800 somehow still in good condition. Last thing I notice, pleather on Catwoman is much thinner. Probably a thinner a pleather, the more it's faster to deteriorate? Also a deterioration is only on her left hand, her right hand pleather still looks perfect. IDK it's so random, i've never touch or play with it for like 3-4 years.

I don't have any issues with my few HT figures with pleather and rubber - though I only had 3 rubber ones (Appleseed) and a pleather one (Vader). I totally agree on the fact that many collectible companies are using these cheap materials for their stuff. I've seen various statues with pleather, rubber and fabric issues, and even props (Master Replicas lightsabers sticky grip issues for example, or cracking paint on Snowspeeder model). In the end the thing is these items will not last forever, especially with the low quality material used on some of them, and considering ways to prolong their life could help.

I think we all understand they wont last forever, but spending $250+ on a collectible that lasts less than a year is bs and inexcusable and shows the lack of respect that Ht has for collectors.

I think we all understand they wont last forever, but spending $250+ on a collectible that lasts less than a year is bs and inexcusable and shows the lack of respect that Ht has for collectors.

Nowhere I said that I find ok to have collectibles getting damaged in less than a year in my messages above. Just to be clear on that

Nowhere I said that I find ok to have collectibles getting damaged in less than a year in my messages above. Just to be clear on that

for sure. I still find it amazing the support HT gets with so many issues that pop up on their figs. Not only the rubber parts, you have vinyl cracking, melting rubber parts, color fading, etc...

HT and other companies really need to step up in the quality of the materials they use. This also makes me wary in buying figs with pleather and rubber. I also sold 2 of my HT Appleseed figs (except Deunan) despite being in perfect condition without any issues.

After my favorite figure Enterbay BD T-800 pleather started to rot, I became really paranoid and just decided to sell all my HT Terminators, awesome figures but not going to risk it

After my favorite figure Enterbay BD T-800 pleather started to rot, I became really paranoid and just decided to sell all my HT Terminators, awesome figures but not going to risk it

IIRC one of the Hot Toys T-800 uses genuine leather.

I've been scouring this thread and can't find a definitive answer (if there is one), but what would be the best temperature to maintain for Hot Toys? I bought an air conditioning unit for my toy/comic room and I'm not sure what temp is "safe."
Thanks!

I've been scouring this thread and can't find a definitive answer (if there is one), but what would be the best temperature to maintain for Hot Toys? I bought an air conditioning unit for my toy/comic room and I'm not sure what temp is "safe."
Thanks!

if you don't live in cold climate area then you have to turn on the AC 24/7.

IIRC around 20degC is ideal.

What do you guys make of this?:

https://www.asmustoys.com/inside-asmus

It is not leather, because considering what people have said lately on this thread, it can't be made to stay in scale.
It is not bad pleather, but it seems extra-thin, extra-durable, extra-good-looking.
Asmus owners in the room, any opinions?

Regards,
m.

What do you guys make of this?:

https://www.asmustoys.com/inside-asmus

It is not leather, because considering what people have said lately on this thread, it can't be made to stay in scale.
It is not bad pleather, but it seems extra-thin, extra-durable, extra-good-looking.
Asmus owners in the room, any opinions?

Regards,
m.

it's called composite leather, similar to those used in some higher end basketballs. they mix real leather with synthetic in order to attain a balance between Cost, Quality, Durability & Flexibility.

Back