Hot Toys' Pirates of the Caribbean: ANGELICA (On Stranger Tides)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Position of the eyes?

It's the lower 2/3 of the face. It has a mannish quality to it. They overdid the features down there.

This isn't the first time they did this with their female sculpts. Silk Spectre, T-1000 Sarah Connor, Machiko, and their TTF also have this weird mannish thing going on somewhere on their face.

Not this immature nonsense again. :rolleyes2

If a female head is less than idealised perfection, we get certain fanboys crying about how she looks like a man.

If you are so afraid of this alleged "mannish" trend, stick with the ridiculous doll-like heads that come with Phicen, Triad and similar figures. Those companies ensure that women are never depicted in realistic fashion.

If a female head is less than idealised perfection, we get certain fanboys crying about how she looks like a man.

If you are so afraid of this alleged "mannish" trend, stick with the ridiculous doll-like heads that come with Phicen, Triad and similar figures. Those companies ensure that women are never depicted in realistic fashion.

:clap:goodpost::exactly:

Fact is, this is very substandard to what we know HT can crank out. Phicen's body doesn't even factor in, it's all about the headsculpt. Her head could be attached to cookie monster's torso and we'd still be talking about it, it's that off. The "mannish" part I think is coming from how they pushed her jaw forward a little bit and the hairline is up too high.

Fact is, this is very substandard to what we know HT can crank out.... The "mannish" part I think is coming from how they pushed her jaw forward a little bit and the hairline is up too high.

I really like the doll's look. To me it is obviously Penelope Cruz and I super excited to get it. Other than figuremaniac's awful photos it looks great. That site manages to make most figures look bloody awful.

Most every doll with rooted hair has a high hairline. So I guess every Barbie and Tonner doll is "mannish". That is precisely why I call these nit picks absurd.

Penelope Cruz in fact has a fairly long forehead. Look around beautiful celebrity women are riddled with "mannish" flaws: Hayley Atwell has noticeable brow ridges. Uma Thurman has very large hands. Eliza Dushku has a really weird jaw shape. Most women have some odd feature.

It is legitimate to argue about whether the features like the jaw are accurate, but honestly I feel some people here would still moan over a perfect likeness if it captured a bona fide "mannish" feature.

I really like the doll's look. To me it is obviously Penelope Cruz and I super excited to get it. Other than figuremaniac's awful photos it looks great. That site manages to make most figures look bloody awful.

Most every doll with rooted hair has a high hairline. So I guess every Barbie and Tonner doll is "mannish". That is precisely why I call these nit picks absurd.

One of the reasons why sculpted hair would have been so much better for this one. It would have been nice to see some hair in front of that forehead.

Penelope Cruz in fact has a fairly long forehead. Look around beautiful celebrity women are riddled with "mannish" flaws: Hayley Atwell has noticeable brow ridges. Uma Thurman has very large hands. Eliza Dushku has a really weird jaw shape. Most women have some odd feature.

No doubt everyone has their unique look, but this sculpt just doesn't capture her personality the way I know they were capable of. She's kind of got a playful defiance about her that's nowhere to be seen here.

It is legitimate to argue about whether the features like the jaw are accurate, but honestly I feel some people here would still moan over a perfect likeness if it captured a bona fide "mannish" feature.

True. The internet is sort of therapeutic that way. :lol

I think you were just dying to jump on the next person who brought it up. I am talking a specific flaw in the sculpt, her lower of the face which indeed has weirdness going on. Look at the sculpts. Look at the actual women they're supposed to portray. Hot Toys are too used to sculpting male figures that it seeped into some of their female sculpting. The tendency to go for the "harder" sculpting when there's a unique feature on the female. PC's lower mouth/face is not that accentuated.

It has nothing to do with "idealization" but accuracy. I think the Phicen and Triad heads are ridiculously hideous.

Or maybe I just don't get it like how others see "asian" in nearly every sculpt HT does.

Last edited:
penelope-cruz-mario-top630.jpg

--just wanted to post a pic of Penelope :wink1:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWSu3Al2uhs&feature=player_embedded"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWSu3Al2uhs&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Last edited:
Looks like many places are getting Angelica for PO now. AE, BBTS and Toy Anxiety do far. Maybe more but I haven't checked

Thank god for that, and thank you for the tip! I was not looking forward to a double-whammy of tax + shipping from Sideshow! And no exclusive, to boot.

AE came in the cheapest at $219 shipped.

Looks like many places are getting Angelica for PO now. AE, BBTS and Toy Anxiety do far. Maybe more but I haven't checked

Back