1/6 Hot Toys - MMS541 - Spider-Man: Far From Home - Spider-Man (Stealth Suit)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I'm aware of the traditional cycle of SHEER PANIC when poor photos initially appear of a new release, at this time I really do think this figure is one too many steps down from the proto. HT still knocks it waaay out of the park on some releases, no doubt about it, but the broad trend recently has been THE CHEAPENING as they seem to err on the side of volume and cost-effective materials rather than quality.

Bottom line is that everyone votes with their wallet according to their own standards. If someone enjoys this figure, great -- but I feel the criticism is justified this time.

If I'm wrong, good. If not ... THE CHEAPENING continues.

I agree. there are some amazing figures they put out but even on those there are little details that they decide to make really cheap. I have a few older figures and a couple are firefighter figures they made from Ladder 49. I was a firefighter for 10 years so i know exactly what they should be like and those two still impress me even today.

The HS are a decade old and look it but the outfits are just like they took a full size firefighter and shrunk them down to 1/6. So many little details that are spot on. No cheap pleather or rubber trying to look like cloth material. They even used a real piece of wood for a door chock. The DX11 with actual shoestrings and perfect clothing, Rescue cap with real cloth material for his belts and a metal helmet. If they made a new rescue cap today it would be a rubber printed outfit and plastic belts.

So it kind of sucks to see the prices going up and up but the cool little details they were so good at going away to save a few dollars that isnt passed on to their customers.

I am buying less because of how the outfits are being made now. I have passed on a bunch of stuff that i wanted just because of that.

Having looked at this youtube vid, https://youtu.be/FNtBVrti3Do , i didn?t think the final product is as bad as you made it out to be gmoney5000; but i may be more lenient in my assessment though.

Through that video, you can definitely still see the depth in panel separation that you mentioned ; I would think the pics you chose for comparison for that aspect may have been washed out by the camera flash (I never understood why people take pics of figures with flash ; they never provide true color representation).

There is a slight change in the Partially unmasked HS, but you could still see TH in there though. I think it?s safe to assume that paint application of the production run will always never be 100% on par with JC Hong?s proto ;)

All in all, I would say this is quite a good figure , and not a major disappointment like, say, the Stealth Cap (now that?s what I call a crappy proto-final product translation, and borderline false advertising) or the HS change on Ragnarok Loki & BP T?Challa.

Still not a fan of the design though...holding out for a flat out symbiote suit in the future :yess:

While I'm aware of the traditional cycle of SHEER PANIC when poor photos initially appear of a new release, at this time I really do think this figure is one too many steps down from the proto. HT still knocks it waaay out of the park on some releases, no doubt about it, but the broad trend recently has been THE CHEAPENING as they seem to err on the side of volume and cost-effective materials rather than quality.

Bottom line is that everyone votes with their wallet according to their own standards. If someone enjoys this figure, great -- but I feel the criticism is justified this time.

If I'm wrong, good. If not ... THE CHEAPENING continues.

@tdk5 Yes, indeed I've seen that review video already. I've seen all the ones that are readily available, but thanks for bringing to my attention.

If HT released this figure as is without any prior prototype as expectations then the figure is "fine" I suppose. The issue here is Hot Toys showed a more superior prototype to solicit interest and pre-sales and therefore set a precedence for comparison. That's one of the worst things you could possibly do is set the bar high and then deliver something very subpar. Since there is a basis for comparison, that's where the disappointment lies.

They wow you and lure you in with this shiny, pretty object, but when it comes time for you to get what you were hoping for they throw you a pile of turd instead. But what's even more annoying is that since HT did produce a superior prototype that means they are capable of making it that good, but for reasons unknown to us (although it's most likely financial...go cheaper so we can make more money!) they decided to produce something less-detailed and, consequently, disastrously underwhelming. :gah:

They've done this many times before and as the comments have shown, it seems the majority of people are in agreement with my assessment!

Anyways if you are satisfied with the inferior final product, then by all means don't let me take away from your pleasure, but as someone who has seen this done again and again, I'm quite peeved and won't let HT stand for it and as ZE_501 has suggested I will indeed vote with my wallet!!!

And that's the sweet irony in all this...HT decided to go cheaper/inferior hoping to make more money by saving a few bucks, but by doing so, their penny-pinching strategy has caused them to lose out on entire sales of the figure which will ultimately end up with this hack-job figure being severely discounted down the road...and even then I WILL NOT bite!

:pfft:

Random question... am I able to split my final payment of this figure over two seperate cards? I got a $100 prepaid MasterCard for Christmas from work. So I’d like to put the $100 on this and the rest on my normal payment method... is that do-able?

I think I may actually cancel this one, since there was no NRD from Sideshow. I was on the fence initially
as to whether or not I needed this costume in my display anyhow.

With the downgrade of the detailing on the figure and the spaced apart lenses, I feel like Hot Toys
answered that question for me, lol.

Last edited:
Uggh this is a heart breaker. I sold my IW spidey because I was too worried about long term suit damage, this option worked better for me because I loved the stealth suit design and it looked much more posable.

But the downgrade has been so severe. This really sucks. I guess I look for other spideys.

Justin's review is up. He mentions the goggle eyes being too far apart (calls it "kind of goofy"), but otherwise seems happy with the rest of the suit.

I do find the head detail to be a bit soft (i.e., doesn't look enough like a knit mask), but besides that and the plastic armor sections being inflexible it's pretty much what I was expecting. :dunno

I think the design itself is pretty uninspired, so any "lazyness" or corners cut on the figures really stands out considerably more that it would usually. For such a simple and quite generic design, you'd think more effort would go in than softened textured plastic, far apart lenses and one-piece chest moulds. Everything comes off as very flat, despite being very well fitting and tailored.

Base is great, though, hat's off to the studio who made it, should be promising for those getting Mysterio!

Justin's review is up. He mentions the goggle eyes being too far apart (calls it "kind of goofy"), but otherwise seems happy with the rest of the suit.

I do find the head detail to be a bit soft (i.e., doesn't look enough like a knit mask), but besides that and the plastic armor sections being inflexible it's pretty much what I was expecting. :dunno

Does this mean you're gonna pick it up, Buff? Or where do you stand?

I skipped the deluxe version, the base looks amazing just to small for the figure. Looking forward to having him in hand, need to pick up some loose parts from this figure as well. Thanks for posting Justin's review Buffinator.

I wonder if there weren't a lot of preorders and didn't figure it was worth it to put in the effort to get everything right.

I quite like the dx base...but the figure itself is very underwhelming. Definitely going to pass.

Hopefully the red & black suit turns out nice...if it does, that will be my Tom Holland representation on the old Spidey shelf.

Tbh I never thought this was an appealing design, even in the movie. It would have been far more novel if he'd had to have cobble together an outfit to stay incognito. I just wanted the base out if this, so no sweat.

Does this mean you're gonna pick it up, Buff? Or where do you stand?

I pre-ordered the deluxe from AE back when it went up for order. Used $50 in rewards, so between that, no taxes and free shipping it made it (IMO) a good deal. The issues with it (goggle span, head "softness") don't bother me enough to cancel. Justin seemed to think the head looked really good, so maybe in hand the detail is there?

I skipped the deluxe version, the base looks amazing just too small for the figure. Looking forward to having him in hand, need to pick up some loose parts from this figure as well. Thanks for posting Justin's review Buffinator.

Yes, I agree the Molten Man base is somewhat smaller than it probably should be, but I've thought that since day 1 so that's not a bait-and-switch scenario. Plus I'm running out of display real estate, so it being a tad undersized works for me lol.

I pre-ordered the deluxe from AE back when it went up for order. Used $50 in rewards, so between that, no taxes and free shipping it made it (IMO) a good deal. The issues with it (goggle span, head "softness") don't bother me enough to cancel. Justin seemed to think the head looked really good, so maybe in hand the detail is there?

Hmm, well hope you enjoy it then. Hopefully it's better in-person? :dunno

And hopefully your naughty grandma neighbor doesn't get her hands on it first? :lol

Has Justin ever not thought a figure he was promoting for Toys Wonderland wasn't fantastic?

Has Justin ever not thought a figure he was promoting for Toys Wonderland wasn't fantastic?

He kept using the word "genius" to describe the design/engineering of this figure's suit material which simply doesn't hold true at all in the slightest. :cuckoo:

But yeah, he's usually a hype guy so it comes as no surprise.

HT could legit put out a literal piece of feces and market it as a DX and Justin would still sing its praises. "Well, is it shi**y? Yes, but the level of detail and the realistic pungent odor of it all is just amazing! It's not perfect, but there's ankle articulation and I love it!" :lol

All joking aside, Justin is entitled to his "opinion," but I do enjoy his videos/service.

He kept using the word "genius" to describe the design/engineering of this figure's suit material which simply doesn't hold true at all in the slightest. :cuckoo:

But yeah, he's usually a hype guy so it comes as no surprise.

HT could legit put out a literal piece of feces and market it as a DX and Justin would still sing its praises. "Well, is it shi**y? Yes, but the level of detail and the realistic pungent odor of it all is just amazing! It's not perfect, but there's ankle articulation and I love it!" :lol

All joking aside, Justin is entitled to his "opinion," but I do enjoy his videos/service.

:lol

I thought he only referred to the stretchy, spandex-like material used at the knees, elbows and under the arms as "genius". But yes, as usual he is rather quick to accept and/or praise every curious design choice that HT makes.

I really appreciate Justin?s reviews. It?s refreshing to hear from someone who seems to genuinely enjoy the hobby, as opposed to most people here who hate it despite participating in it. :p

I really appreciate Justin?s reviews. It?s refreshing to hear from someone who seems to genuinely enjoy the hobby, as opposed to most people here who hate it despite participating in it. :p

No hate for the hobby, but I've got plenty of hate for when a "premium" company cuts corners and more or less uses false advertising as a marketing strategy.

Back