1/6 Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

IMG_20190406_170130.jpg

IMG_20190406_170217.jpg

Re: Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

Hmm, that video makes it look a lot better to me. Just... why take out the eye wrinkles, make it more lifelike and how he actually was - also Obi-Wan had grey highlights on the hair by his ear. I know this because I watched all the behind the scenes when I was a kid. But it's not on this. Damn, just that prototype was solid AF...

It just looks like they made him look closer to AotC than full out RotS that the prototype was. Basically, the final product looks like they were shooting for an Obi Wan that can fill in for both McGregor's appearance in both AotC AND RotS.

If that was the intention, and even if it wasn't, this looks like a Hot Toys Mythos take on Obi-Wan... the in between years of AotC and RotS!

Holy cow, this has already been broken down on eBay... Crazy.

f64ce2fe8cf523464f9ff33a5b155e77.jpg

0fa69bf00867b064afea677bc29b27dd.png

So maybe this is being picky, but anyone else notice that the height difference between Anakin and Obi Wan seems way off?

I really wish they got the hair and beard colors right. Look how off they are next to that photo! The beard especially is hilariously off.

f64ce2fe8cf523464f9ff33a5b155e77.jpg

0fa69bf00867b064afea677bc29b27dd.png

So maybe this is being picky, but anyone else notice that the height difference between Anakin and Obi Wan seems way off?
The height looks pretty much spot on. Obi Wan eyes about the height of Anakin nose.
acc53f6629a6f3a20ab394ec8839bf4e.jpg
d91a20a5e0a4c610df9a219bee1cbe2a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I think Anakin's sculpted hair exaggerates his height slightly.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Wow, it's really clear in those closeups just how much they've de-aged him and removed most of the wrinkles and bags under the eyes. So baffling why they felt the need to do that.

Yeah, I hate that the detail is missing on the production piece. It looks more like Generic Guy than Ewan in the pics so far.

Yeah, I hate that the detail is missing on the production piece. It looks more like Generic Guy than Ewan in the pics so far.

Man you read my mind. I was thinking the same thing.. This isn't Obi Wan- This is random unknown rock concert roadie or teenage girls annoying stepdad thats trying to be cool.

A step back from HT for the best actor of PT. What a shame.

It’s ok, and that’s about it so far. The prototype was gold, such a shame because anakin is genuinely great. I’m sure in hand it will be fine, but not the homerun the prototype was.

People praised the Anakin sculpt, but I think this is definitely in the same league as that. Can’t wait to get it:yess:

Well, that video is presenting the figure a lot better. It looks like the outfit can be well-futzed. The robe is still disappointing. A tad short and thin/cheap looking like Anakin's...HT just can't do these robes justice with the Jedi so far. The belt, gear and saber look really good.

The sculpt? Well, this presentation shows the quality is indeed there with the application, it's just a bit too dark with the hair. I like the way the beard sides are blended - looks real good.

And now we can really see what the "changes" were to the sculpt. Disney mandated that Obi-Wan visit the Jocasta Nu-Yu Botox center in the Jedi Temple basement! Seriously though...the choice to remove the wrinkles and creases around the eyes and on the face is baffling. It really sucks the personality right out of the sculpt and puts it on the bus for uncanny valley.

The accessories are pretty cool, especially that extremely well-rendered holo table with the figures. It looks really nice. The battle droid parts are neat too.
I could take or leave the Mr. Peanut baby 2001 star child figure, but it's part of the set so....there it is.

Kudos to these guys for the great look at this figure. Looking forward to even more photos and videos in the coming days. We could have another month before stateside retailers get this in, so the pictures and reviews are most welcome and appreciated.

While it still looks like Ewan, I don't know how convinced I am that it looks like Obi-Wan. In smoothing out and siftening details they have basically lost a lot of the subtle Obi-Wan makeup work from the film that hinted towards eventually becoming Alec Guiness' older Obi-Wan. Combine that with the too dark hair and beard, and the bottom lip issue from certain angles and/or lighting conditions, and personally I'm kind of wishing I'd sat this one out. It's not a disaster, but for me at the moment it definitely feels like a disappointment.

Funny thing is, I only purchased Anakin as a companion piece to go with Obi-Wan. Then they release a variant Anakin that I would have preferred, and now Obi-Wan turns out to be a disappointment, too. Not having the best of luck with prequel figure purchases so far. If Dooku and Maul don't turn out well, I think that might be it from me as far as prequel figures go. :lol

The only thing really keeping me holding on right now are those JC Hong pics. He's still looking way too young in those, but at least there's a stronger likeness and a bit more detail in the face and hair than we're seeing anywhere else so far.

It's clearly inferior to the proto but I don't hate it as much as some here do. Next to Anakin at a normal viewing distance I suspect it will look good. Just not Hot Toys best. That damn baby looks like Tom Cruise though.

I just want this next to Anakin already. Hope those boats move at max acceleration. :lol

Did a fast ship from HK, which means I’ll have it in hand God knows when, I hope by Wednesday.

Just want to see some daylight pics on the sculpt myself ...

It’s not a disaster, just appears, at least to me, to be a piece that will require the hair to be repainted (and of course I can’t paint).

The other question is will exposing the rest of the outfit to a quick Earl Grey tea dip shrink the material??? Cause it looks correct, but the material looks way too light - new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He looks amazing. Love the green eyes. Always amazes me how lifelike the eyes are on these figures

Back