1/6 Hot Toys MMS Jawas & Power droid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_3249.jpgIMG_3248.jpg

Got my Jawa/Gonk today. Not as bad as I'd thought. I did scrape off the painted eyelids to open up the eyes which helps a little, and took the velcro off the head. Overall I like him, wish his eyes were brighter and that he came with the ANH blasters tho, and was more reasonable priced - but it is what it is. Still hope they put out the other Jawa & R5-D4

Those stiffer robes make the Jawa look more like a toy. Not so much like a shrunk down little creature. I now appreciate that SSC sacrificed texture to go with a material that drapes naturally.

Yeah, you kinda sacrifice one thing for another on these. I?ve always appreciated the ease with which the SS Jawas can be made to look realistic when posing but I do really like the texture of the HT Jawa. Too bad HT couldn?t have pulled off both on theirs.

Agreed, it's definitely a trade off. I didn't really try futzing too much -- but it's true that the Sideshow is really easy to get some bunching up whereas the Hot Toys version is more likely to look flat by dint of the stiff material. But the weave is great. Color not so much and I think the hood is too large.

I like the HT Jawa but there are indeed some flaws that are difficult to overlook. I wouldn't necessarily say I regret buying the set but it's too bad it's not up to snuff with some of HT other recent terrific SW figures like Wicket, Krennic, Mudtrooper, and most recently the Mandalorian.

My issues with the HT are primarily restricted to the head, the robe stiffness isn't a deal breaker and in reality the color probably isn't either. I'd give it maybe a 6/10. I prefer the SS after having both side by side, but I'd still only give those a 7 maybe. They both REALLY needed an easy push button at the back to turn on the lights. The switches are essentially recessed, pretty frustrating for both, though the HT is slightly easier to feel for through the hood.

I think maybe my display just isn't great for these anymore, most of my figures are neatly displayed main characters like Vader, the heroes, or troopers. A detolf probably isn't the ideal place for these cute little Jawa without any sort of diorama/background to introduce their environment or nice stand to class it up. I'll have to break out the Sandtrooper at least, and perhaps reach out to Coco for some stands.

View attachment 493350

Got my Jawa/Gonk today. Not as bad as I'd thought. I did scrape off the painted eyelids to open up the eyes which helps a little, and took the velcro off the head. Overall I like him, wish his eyes were brighter and that he came with the ANH blasters tho, and was more reasonable priced - but it is what it is. Still hope they put out the other Jawa & R5-D4

Nice, that does look better.

Agreed, it's definitely a trade off. I didn't really try futzing too much -- but it's true that the Sideshow is really easy to get some bunching up whereas the Hot Toys version is more likely to look flat by dint of the stiff material. But the weave is great. Color not so much and I think the hood is too large.

My issues with the HT are primarily restricted to the head, the robe stiffness isn't a deal breaker and in reality the color probably isn't either. I'd give it maybe a 6/10. I prefer the SS after having both side by side, but I'd still only give those a 7 maybe. They both REALLY needed an easy push button at the back to turn on the lights. The switches are essentially recessed, pretty frustrating for both, though the HT is slightly easier to feel for through the hood.

I think maybe my display just isn't great for these anymore, most of my figures are neatly displayed main characters like Vader, the heroes, or troopers. A detolf probably isn't the ideal place for these cute little Jawa without any sort of diorama/background to introduce their environment or nice stand to class it up. I'll have to break out the Sandtrooper at least, and perhaps reach out to Coco for some stands.

I do like the robes myself and I feel the body is a pretty significant upgrade over the Sideshow. Even the robe color doesn't bother me much but I have a few of the Sideshow Jawas so best of both worlds. The HT eyes were mostly fixed for me by those stones, but I still vastly prefer the Sideshow bandoliers. I do still want another HT Jawa so I can move around and pose a pair of them when I want to. The Sideshow Jawas are so frustrating to pose that I have them in a display I like and I never want to touch them again until I move.

And to your point I am probably more accepting of the HT Jawa flaws than I should be because I have some other Tatooine stuff they display well with. All things considered I would also agree that I like the Sideshow a bit more, especially from a standpoint of bang for your buck.

Yeah, I posed these after my last post and even just doing this one SS hand was falling off multiple times, got pretty annoying -- as an aside, my desk these past few days looks like Imperial Sandtroopers went on a rampage impersonating Sand People.

889c756a1b4b7a6af2c7abc38d0ed894.jpg

Get yourself the Mythos Obiwan. Jawa's go so well with him.

Yeah, I posed these after my last post and even just doing this one SS hand was falling off multiple times, got pretty annoying -- as an aside, my desk these past few days looks like Imperial Sandtroopers went on a rampage impersonating Sand People.

889c756a1b4b7a6af2c7abc38d0ed894.jpg

That sitting Jawa is the best I've seen this figure. Hood looks good. SS hood could look just as good (or better if it wasn't so tight around his neck like a scarf - best thing about the SS hoods is their posability). The only real let down is the super smooth hands, the red eyes, and the robe over his legs (and chest) being so flat and lifeless. But very nice pose non the less. At first glance it looks like the HT is smoking a pipe like a couple of Jawa hobbits.

A couple of them standing around a droid bending to put on a restraining bolt or something looks pretty nice and conveys who they are pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple of them standing around a droid bending to put on a restraining bolt or something looks pretty nice and conveys who they are pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had that with the SS for a long time - damn busted motivator. It does look good.

6Liw9so.jpg

As I?m an addict I just can?t let go of the urge to buy this. But the antidote is setting up pictures like this. The SSC Jawas just really have the right feel... and I should not waste my money on a subpar Jawa.
5f2c107358c686daaca7a90854d2a498.jpg

As I?m an addict I just can?t let go of the urge to buy this. But the antidote is setting up pictures like this. The SSC Jawas just really have the right feel... and I should not waste my money on a subpar Jawa.
5f2c107358c686daaca7a90854d2a498.jpg

I can't say I regret buying this, just because I'm always interested to see stuff in-hand, but to me it's close to a dud. The robe was not as good as I had hoped - the weave is more visible in pics than in-hand and surprisingly the hood turned out to be a real problem (too big, too puffy, not really futzable, billowy inner fabric, stuck to velcro on head.) The head on this is 110% a disaster.

The best selling point is the body and Gonk. And the gun.

I do like the gun as it's very ROTJ, the body was an improvement but not a night-and-day improvement over the SSC body, the gonk is way off being screen accurate to the sandcrawler gonk (which is clearly what it's supposed to be.) The gonk feet especially are way off.

At this point I think I'll wait if SS ever decides to put the Jawas back up for sale. I don't know if I'll get annoyed at the floppy bodies or if maybe the 2nd batch (or 3rd at that point) will be better. But I have no need for the Gonk, and I would rather have 2 of the little guys. Really if HT's set was 2 Jawas, I would have gotten them, as I think overall it's a nice figure and I'd be willing to overlook its small drawbacks.

The only thing I would want from the HT version is that gun. It's going for $60 on Ebay which is ridiculous. Hopefully TA will have more Jawa parts in at some point.

Whoever it was who recommended the Rhinestone stickers you're a genius. Got my Jawa this morning and stuck a pair of the yellow eyes on and it took the figure to another level.

Overall LOVE the Jawa, it's another of those that is way better in hand than in pictures. The Power Droid is a bit cheap and flimsy looking but quite an impressive size. It's a cool enough display piece. Will definitely buy a second Jawa now I've seen how much the Rhinestone stickers transform it.

Whoever it was who recommended the Rhinestone stickers you're a genius. Got my Jawa this morning and stuck a pair of the yellow eyes on and it took the figure to another level.

I recommended it but I'm definitely not a genius.

:lol

Probably just saw the technique before and it stuck in my mind for some reason. Isn't it common with those little pewter statues that used to be popular?

I hate using my batteries in 1/6 figures. Someone else mentioned the possibility of painting the eyes, which could work, but I'm also not keen on permanently altering any of my figures. I like the way the rhinestones capture light anyways.

Happy to hear that it works for you as well.

I recommended it but I'm definitely not a genius.

:lol

Probably just saw the technique before and it stuck in my mind for some reason. Isn't it common with those little pewter statues that used to be popular?

I hate using my batteries in 1/6 figures. Someone else mentioned the possibility of painting the eyes, which could work, but I'm also not keen on permanently altering any of my figures. I like the way the rhinestones capture light anyways.

Happy to hear that it works for you as well.

Well, it made my day anyway haha. They look great, so thank you for the tip. I even stuck a couple of clear ones and a red one on R2 and that also looks quite good.

Back