1/6 Hot Toys MMS Jawas & Power droid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great pics Jedibear (always love the desert pics, and nice that you found a REAL SANDCRAWLER:lol) but yeah I will say the vibe on this fig upon seeing it in-hand for the first time was "toy." The SSC Jawas have a few significant flaws, but they did feel more like shrunken down realistic Jawas than this figure.

I do think the figure is a bit too short (I made mine maybe 1/2" taller and thought it proportionately looked much better,) but then there were people who shortened their SSC Jawas so I guess that's personal taste.

But the head on this figure is 100% disaster - the eyes (color, weird painted eyelids, dim/uneven lighting, shiny domed doll eyes, looking horrible when unlit) the smooth/featureless doll face, the velcro on the top (that makes futzing the hood a nightmare) and the on/off switch in the same stupid spot as Sideshow's.

I agree too that the robe is a bit too stiff. Some pics suggested it might be more poseable but I really couldn't get the hood and sleeves to pose in the way I had hoped, even with the wires. It drapes pretty well around the torso and feet though and that's the main look.

I made my peace with this figure by saying it's like the new vintage/Kenner ESB Boba figure from HT - a "realistic" 1/6 version of the Kenner Plastic cape Jawa and on that basis it's great.

4E74941D-583A-465E-941D-A34EB6D1D221.jpeg

Now that it's been mentioned, the color of the robe, the stiff material and it's overall look does recall the old Hasbro figure....

HAS-JAWAS-003.jpg

I'd rather see HT include that droid with another one and the next jawa outfitted like that Hasbro figure...

Still liking the SSC ones better despite the issues...

J A W A S and BUVBOICULLAR- 001 .jpg

...but I can get some decent shots with this one. Another look at Kenobi and the jawa...

DESERT NEWS.jpg

I am really digging the Gonk.

IMG_20200815_112208.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, JB. Gonna mess with it a bit more.

I must have gotten a second batch of the SS Jawa as the bodies aren't floppy. There's some weirdness with the bandoliers though, on the tall one some of the pouches seem really spaced apart.

Still considering dyeing the HT robe to get it a bit darker. The color doesn't bother me tremendously but I think it could be better.

So it is the body that’s the issue with those oversized hands and Hasbro feet.

Yeah the HT hands on this were junk (HT seems to REALLY struggle with gloved hands.) I swapped them for the SSC hands. Same with the bandoliers - the Sideshow ones look like real old/worn leather, the HT feel quite toyish.

Dyeing the HT robe just seems like a total pain though. Not sure I'd go that far.

Yeah the HT hands on this were junk (HT seems to REALLY struggle with gloved hands.) I swapped them for the SSC hands. Same with the bandoliers - the Sideshow ones look like real old/worn leather, the HT feel quite toyish.

Dyeing the HT robe just seems like a total pain though. Not sure I'd go that far.

So basically the perfect Hot Toys Jawa from this set is to replace everything but the robe, which should be re-died, yet still look toyish due to that inner lining and be stiff and terrible to futz?

So basically the perfect Hot Toys Jawa from this set is to replace everything but the robe, which should be re-died, yet still look toyish due to that inner lining and be stiff and terrible to futz?

Yeah, other than the texture on the robe (which is not as apparent in-hand as it is in pics imo) and the no-seam hood (which is more visible, but not a huge difference from say 3 feet away,) which are definite improvements, I'd call this several steps back vs the Sideshow Jawa.

The body is better overall, but that's not as clear because I (and several others) seem to have gotten tighter/later versions of the Sideshow Jawa body, and several have reported loose ankle issues on their HT body and also to a lesser degree the HT arms being unable to hold more extreme "rifle pointed" type poses. I actually had both the HT and SSC Jawa bodies side-by-side for a while and there wasn't a huge amount of difference to me.

And yeah, even though the robe fabric texture and seamless hood are pluses, I HATE the inner black fabric - which makes the hood hard to futz and billows out around the face, making it look like a smooth/shiny plastic doll face on an overstuffed plush toy.

Re: Hot Toys MMS Jawas & Power droid

Those stiffer robes make the Jawa look more like a toy. Not so much like a shrunk down little creature. I now appreciate that SSC sacrificed texture to go with a material that drapes naturally.

Yeah, you kinda sacrifice one thing for another on these. I’ve always appreciated the ease with which the SS Jawas can be made to look realistic when posing but I do really like the texture of the HT Jawa. Too bad HT couldn’t have pulled off both on theirs.

Re: Hot Toys MMS Jawas & Power droid

Yeah, you kinda sacrifice one thing for another on these. I?ve always appreciated the ease with which the SS Jawas can be made to look realistic when posing but I do really like the texture of the HT Jawa. Too bad HT couldn?t have pulled off both on theirs.

I like the HT Jawa but there are indeed some flaws that are difficult to overlook. I wouldn't necessarily say I regret buying the set but it's too bad it's not up to snuff with some of HT other recent terrific SW figures like Wicket, Krennic, Mudtrooper, and most recently the Mandalorian.

Back