1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 320 - Star Wars Ep.VII - Kylo Ren

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was probably plain nihilism. Apocalypse Now was a horrible experience for him, of course he thought that it would bomb. That movie is a miracle considering its production.

Lucas was going to direct that originally. In some bizarro world Darth Vader's name is Walter E. Kurtz & Benjamin L. Willard is his son sent to kill him. Love it already.

More likely because a sequel was far from guaranteed.

Though employing 'Episode IV' would have worked regardless of any potential prequels or sequels, since it would have further emphasised the film as homage to the earlier chapter plays.

There's an article here that looks at the history, and Lucas' own contradictory statements that fuel the urban legends that surround Star Wars!

Snoop may have to do a bit of fumigating, but the last 10 pages or so were highly entertaining AND educational. Give yourselves a round of applause. :duff

Not only that, this Kylo Ren guy hardly even came up! :yess:

The Prequel Trilogy got itself bogged down with the minutiae of the behind the scenes machinations, and the desire to interconnect and explain the origins of everything.

Well put. I firmly believe that the more you try to explain in a cinematic universe, the more enjoyment you rob from your audience. I don't need a film that's 2/3 exposition.

Not only that, this Kylo Ren guy hardly even came up! :yess:

Who? :dunno

For a guy with a robe, and a mask, the price of this one is way too high.....pass for now

With you there. Its such a bland design, and they dont show anything that it comes with. Why is this $250?

The last few pages have been interesting but off topic. If you'd like to discuss the movie, or SW movies in general, please do so in the Television & Movie forum.

Please stay on topic and keep things civil. Thread cleaned.

No worries. I should change my username to TL;DR. ;)

Regarding Kylo Ren's character design, I don't think it's too simple. One of the most evocative and menacing characters on screen was the Nazgul, especially in The Fellowship Of The Ring when they were more understated. And that's just a black robe, greaves and gauntlets. The Asmus figure, properly futzed, is amazing.

I think if Kylo Ren is executed well onscreen, his design is primed to become iconic.

If you look at a lot of contemporary character design I think it suffers from being overly busy. Kylo Ren's costume looks like it does exactly what it needs to and I quite like it; it's just that I don't have any context for it beyond a couple of movie trailers.

I've already pre-ordered the SH Figuarts version (that's my 1:12 poison where I worry less about minimalism as they're smaller and cheaper), and while it would take a love of the character for me to invest in the Hot Toys rendition, I wouldn't think twice about the simplicity of the costume so long as it was executed with a fine finish, and so far it looks good. I liked the look of the helmet with the hood down, too.

No worries. I should change my username to TL;DR. ;)

Regarding Kylo Ren's character design, I don't think it's too simple. One of the most evocative and menacing characters on screen was the Nazgul, especially in The Fellowship Of The Ring when they were more understated. And that's just a black robe, greaves and gauntlets. The Asmus figure, properly futzed, is amazing.

I think if Kylo Ren is executed well onscreen, his design is primed to become iconic.

If you look at a lot of contemporary character design I think it suffers from being overly busy. Kylo Ren's costume looks like it does exactly what it needs to and I quite like it; it's just that I don't have any context for it beyond a couple of movie trailers.

I've already pre-ordered the SH Figuarts version (that's my 1:12 poison where I worry less about minimalism as they're smaller and cheaper), and while it would take a love of the character for me to invest in the Hot Toys rendition, I wouldn't think twice about the simplicity of the costume so long as it was executed with a fine finish, and so far it looks good. I liked the look of the helmet with the hood down, too.

Totaly there with you on this. Perfect villain look, simple yet effective. Oh, and I like it so much that he was ordered 2 minutes after his reveal :)

If you look at a lot of contemporary character design I think it suffers from being overly busy.

This. Ren is masterfully and carefully designed. Design isn't throwing everything but the kitchen sink at something, it's a process of iteration, editing and above all, compromise. He fits right in with the simplicity of the lead character design in ANH, IMO.

Why is this $250?

$225 - and because that's HT's median price-point. ;)

I think the mask could be a little more busy. The robes are simple and I don't mind that but as as figure I feel like it's very expensive for just robes. Kinda feel the same for Obi-Wan so I won't be buying unless I really like the character, like Obi-Wan

I completely agree about the Nazgul characters. Have you owned or seen the ACI version? If not you should check them out. They are really top quality figures, and creepy as hell. I have 2 and plan to pick up a 3rd sometime. I'm not the biggest lotr fan so I'm not sure that I will go any deeper into the franchise but for me these are a great representation of what I liked about the films.

I completely agree about the Nazgul characters. Have you owned or seen the ACI version? If not you should check them out. They are really top quality figures, and creepy as hell. I have 2 and plan to pick up a 3rd sometime. I'm not the biggest lotr fan so I'm not sure that I will go any deeper into the franchise but for me these are a great representation of what I liked about the films.

Actually, I may be confusing Asmus and ACI...which company did the Ringwraith with Horse? I think it's Wor's futzed set I was drooling over. Haven't seen them in-hand...if I didn't have Marvel, Bruce Lee and Star Wars I'd grab a Wraith, but as it stands I don't think that's going to get past my line in the 1/6 sand.

Amazing looking figures, though.

Asmus did the one with the horse. Wor gar did a terrific job making that figure look much better than it comes out of the box. I can't say firsthand because I didn't own the fig but there were lots of QC issues reported along with other nits like a seam in the hood, loose joints, cheap robes, etc. The aci versions are kind of pricey at $225-275 range but very high quality. Tight joints, real metal armor and swords, realistically hanging robes, and good articulation. Out of the box the hood needs to trimmed, the rest is awesome. I have considered putting an aci nazgul on an asmus horse though.

I think it's Wor's futzed set I was drooling over.

Wor gar did a terrific job making that figure look much better than it comes out of the box.

Thanks for the props, guys! Much appreciated. Not a lot of people post in that section, so its always a pleasure to learn that something made an impression outside of that group.

I was thinking about either ordering Kylo Ren or Chewbacca. I know Chewbacca needs some futzing to make him look good, but he still seems like a good figure. I can't really decide who I want more. If I can come up with the funds I'd love to buy both, but I'm not sure I'll be able to. I really like the look of Kylo Ren. I think he'll be an awesome bad guy.

Back