1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 283 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Obi-Wan Kenobi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha! I notice your lack of a link disturbing.

Does anyone else find the scene during the tractor beam where and tells Chewie to put in more power and Chewie just moves one sparkplug shaped lever on the console?

He bobbing his head around too -- always thought he was listening to music on his headset and not really paying attention.

Does anyone else find the scene during the tractor beam where and tells Chewie to put in more power and Chewie just moves one sparkplug shaped lever on the console?

Doesn't Han do all the Falcon's maneuvers (barrel rolls, dodging asteroids, etc.) by just pressing some buttons and flipping switches back and forth? It doesn't seem to have any actual handheld steering mechanism at all.

Doesn't Han do all the Falcon's maneuvers (barrel rolls, dodging asteroids, etc.) by just pressing some buttons and flipping switches back and forth? It doesn't seem to have any actual handheld steering mechanism at all.

I can't remember what Han says exactly, but he tells Chewie to engage auxillary poweror something and Chewie just moves a little lever.

I can't remember what Han says exactly, but he tells Chewie to engage auxillary poweror something and Chewie just moves a little lever.

Correct. My point is that's all they EVER do. Move little levers. "Well we can still outmaneuver them!" *pushes like five levers forward, the ship drops, does all these amazing spins, etc.*

I laugh at people who think Chewie is way off.
The photos don't lie. I'll be customizing this figure for improvements, starting with the lips.
chewbacca episode 7.jpg

Color streaking would make all the difference in the world. Even if the actual sculpt didn't change, having that darker brown on top would be a huge improvement

They do need to change those eyes though.

I know this is the Obiwan thread, but since we're on the subject:
I just got a notice from SS... my last two flex pays for Chewy have been moved to June and July. I HOPE this means they are taking the time to fix the eyes, at least.

I think the most accurate feature on Chewy's face is the nose. Even the inner rims of the nostrils are the right size and shape, if you look closely at the photos. It's not perfect; the vertical center crease should be a bit more pronounced/deeper, and there are other very minor differences that I can live with. The color of the nose can be fixed easily.
If Hot Toys doesn't fix the eyes, I will; I just don't know how yet- I'll need to have the piece in hand first. Chewy has always been a favorite of mine, so I'm willing to go to extraordinary lengths to customize it radically, including his height.

As for the lips and mouth: It would be great to construct a working jaw joint so the mouth could open wide or totally shut, or be posed by hand anywhere in between. The problem with that is, when Chewy opens his mouth wide the upper lip changes shape, curving down towards the corners of the mouth. It's not like a static 'muppet' mouth in that sense. So, I'm planning to make three custom mouths that attach with magnets:
1) Lips closed,
2) Slack-jawed (same as the stock pose) and
3) Wide open/growling.
Because the lips need to be re-sculpted and custom-furred anyway, I may as well make the custom mouths from scratch and solve several problems at the same time. I have a big roll of reddish-brown hobby fur, and I can tell by the photos that it's a near-perfect match for color and texture. If the custom mouths come out well, I might offer custom jobs and/or loose mouths for other picky Chewbacca owners.
stuart-freeborn-on-the-set-of-star-wars.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know guys, I think this looks beautiful. It's certainly a stylised version of Obi-Wan but it looks very impressive, and we know what kind of quality we are going to get from Hot Toys. This is gonna be a tremendous set to open up and futz. Those robes, leather boots, belt, jesus they look great.

:exactly:

As far as I like my SSC Ben, even repainted, I prefer this one for what I see from pics. Far better likeness IMHO than DX Luke clean sculpt, for exemple.

:exactly:

The photos don't lie. I'll be customizing this figure for improvements, starting with the lips.
View attachment 167456

I must admit that the likeness isn't that far away looking at this comparison. Looking at just the figure it seems way off.

The eyes naturally needs to be fixed, but other than that a little tweak on the upper lip and tone down the color of the lower lip and color of the fur.

I know this is the Obiwan thread, but since we're on the subject:
I just got a notice from SS... my last two flex pays for Chewy have been moved to June and July. I HOPE this means they are taking the time to fix the eyes, at least.

I think the most accurate feature on Chewy's face is the nose. Even the inner rims of the nostrils are the right size and shape, if you look closely at the photos. It's not perfect; the vertical center crease should be a bit more pronounced/deeper, and there are other very minor differences that I can live with. The color of the nose can be fixed easily.
If Hot Toys doesn't fix the eyes, I will; I just don't know how yet- I'll need to have the piece in hand first. Chewy has always been a favorite of mine, so I'm willing to go to extraordinary lengths to customize it radically, including his height.

As for the lips and mouth: It would be great to construct a working jaw joint so the mouth could open wide or totally shut, or be posed by hand anywhere in between. The problem with that is, when Chewy opens his mouth wide the upper lip changes shape, curving down towards the corners of the mouth. It's not like a static 'muppet' mouth in that sense. So, I'm planning to make three custom mouths that attach with magnets:
1) Lips closed,
2) Slack-jawed (same as the stock pose) and
3) Wide open/growling.
Because the lips need to be re-sculpted and custom-furred anyway, I may as well make the custom mouths from scratch and solve several problems at the same time. I have a big roll of reddish-brown hobby fur, and I can tell by the photos that it's a near-perfect match for color and texture. If the custom mouths come out well, I might offer custom jobs and/or loose mouths for other picky Chewbacca owners.
View attachment 167542

I would be interested in the chewie custom mouth project

Correct. My point is that's all they EVER do. Move little levers. "Well we can still outmaneuver them!" *pushes like five levers forward, the ship drops, does all these amazing spins, etc.*

I want to know what the hell happened to the scanning crew and the stormtroopers. Did they put them in the 'Gee-it's-lucky-you-had-these' compartments? Take them to Yavin? Were they released by the imperials when they put the tracker on board?

I want to know what the hell happened to the scanning crew and the stormtroopers. Did they put them in the 'Gee-it's-lucky-you-had-these' compartments? Take them to Yavin? Were they released by the imperials when they put the tracker on board?

Wow never thought of that. I guess they flushed them out into space? Another question is how did they manage to wear the black undersuit and all that armor over their regular clothes AND Han's knee high boots! lol

Back