1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great shots Matrix.

I made some more alterations to my ANH Darth Vader...

2016-12-03 17.49.23.jpg

2016-12-03 17.48.41.jpg

I can't keep myself from invite my vader at this great party...sorry for the intrusion...

Attachments

• 2016-12-04 17.23.27.jpg
    2016-12-04 17.23.27.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 449
  • IMG_20161204_202237.jpg
    IMG_20161204_202237.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 445
Yeah Sturtrup, that Vader has to be the best on these boards. I love how you keep upgrading it too.

a beaut matrix! :banana
:duff
Matrix, what mods did you do? I know the belt boxes, but what else?
Alot:)..
Lowered the dome then weathered it
Re-sculpted the nose
Eye mod to accentuate the amber lens color
Repainted parts of the mask the correct colors
Replaced the stock chest armor with the more accurate/scaled kaiyodo armor then painted it
Shortened the belt a tad so the hook is closer to the front
Made a new more accurate metal disc for the belt buckle
Made alterations to the arms and legs of the suit so it fits better
Made new pleather gloves
Custom cape and tunic
Buffed up the boot armor...

:duff

Alot:)..
Lowered the dome then weathered it
Re-sculpted the nose
Eye mod to accentuate the amber lens color
Repainted parts of the mask the correct colors
Replaced the stock chest armor with the more accurate/scaled kaiyodo armor then painted it
Shortened the belt a tad so the hook is closer to the front
Made a new more accurate metal disc for the belt buckle
Made alterations to the arms and legs of the suit so it fits better
Made new pleather gloves
Custom cape and tunic
Buffed up the boot armor...

Re: Hot Toys Darth Vader Sixth Scale Figure

n1xuti.jpg.jpg

Agree on the too-bright gunmetal but you are quite an expert on Vader. What are your thoughts on the sculpt?

To me, the dome brow has issues but the facemask looks very close (the extreme looking-down angle and bright/back lighting might be responsible for the complaints people have) to being accurate. But would be interested in your thoughts.

How anyone to this day can argue the Sideshow Vader is anything other than an overpriced Hasbro looking toy is surreal. I never thought it looked right. That they trotted it out again and feature it prominently on their website to unload is ridiculous. Hot Toys does their homework. Sideshow has had two chances previously to do Vader right and they blew both. Why do people still buy the Sideshow Vaders?

View attachment 309013

How anyone to this day can argue the Sideshow Vader is anything other than an overpriced Hasbro looking toy is surreal. I never thought it looked right. That they trotted it out again and feature it prominently on their website to unload is ridiculous. Hot Toys does their homework. Sideshow has had two chances previously to do Vader right and they blew both. Why do people still buy the Sideshow Vaders?

People seem to like the last version of sideshow Vader. Despite the helmet, I believe there are considerable improvements.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

View attachment 309013

The new SSC Vader has several aspects that are equal to or better than the HT Vaders. The SSC V2 jumpsuit I think looks a touch more authentic then the unmodded HT one, and I love the job SSC did on their ESB chestbox and belt boxes. They also did a great job on their hands.

And both HT and SSC share the over-height issue, which is just getting tiresome and not easy to fix because the parts are scaled for the larger height.

The HT ANH Vader also has many issues - to me the mask just doesn't look great without mods (when I got it in hand, I really didn't like it much, despite it often looking nice in harsh lighting pics and from certain angles,) the chestbox is slightly undersized, the chest armor is not only somewhat inaccurate but totally wrongly painted and the hands - well, you know the story on those. Electronics features basically unusable - the fig should have been a bullseye.

Had HT nailed Vader it would have been great - that's not really the case though. SSC's DX and V2 is a solid figure that is mostly let down by a - imo - really quite poor (for 2014-2016) Vader helemt sculpt.

The helmet is definitely important, but I can still understand why some would rather have a Vader that captures the character's proportions and general vibe a lot better from a distance, which I think the V2 does.

That's true.

I have to say, with the body swap, I still really love the look of my SS ANH Vader from 2009 from across the room. He looks great, even from a forgotten year.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but apart from the gloves I think this version is way better than the R1 one.
I'm looking forward to when HT releases their ESB Vader.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but apart from the gloves I think this version is way better than the R1 one.
I'm looking forward to when HT releases their ESB Vader.

I would agree. It's a better ANH representation than the R1 at first glance.

Back