1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys Darth Vader Sixth Scale Figure

Well, well, well....

That's all I'll say to the doubters that I spent hours arguing with.

Luke and Leia are a certainty now as a set.

That said -- this set looks awesome so far! Great proportions on Vader already. So stoked for this!!!! Not sure what to do with my SS ANH. Spent a lot of money to get him to look right. But whatever -- I think HT will make it look like a toy.

And last note -- it will be nice to have a Vader helmet that actually has the widow's peak for a change.

For me it's all about space... If I keep my SSC Vader, I know I'll still buy HT's when it eventually comes out, so then that's three Vaders. Initially I thought I could display everything, but I can't, so that means selling off SSC -- despite the fact that it is a very nice figure -- especially with Pixelpiper's CCFL blade. I figure I'll lose at least $100.00 on the figure and CCFL, but that's the way it goes in this hobby.

PS - And in regards to the arguing, as I said to greygoose, I don't recall anyone saying HT wouldn't do ANH Vader (I only recall the contention being over ESB Vader, which I'm still very confident is years away). It would've been stupid for them to release ANH Han, Chewie, Stormtroopers, presumably Luke, Leia and Ben, but then skip Vader.

Probably in the minority here, but how about a ROTS Vader

I may end buying it, I admit it, but:
-it's the weakest version of the suit IMHO, with awful symmetric helm and one piece shoulder armor. And skinny Hayden.
-just what...1 minute of screen time?

so why bother?

Don't see any point to ROTS Vader. Nothing iconic about that look, at all.

Lol, you guys sure have selective memories. :lol

You've got to be kidding me. Are you saying that I haven't been saying HT was releasing a Vader soon all along? You know better, I know YOU do. And don't start with the "I said ANH" crap -- you like many were doubting that HT would step on SS's toes and make a Vader so soon. Yes, you said if they do its likely to be ANH -- which wasn't hard to figure given the 6 or so figures that were told be coming from that movie. Go back and look at my list. Yes, I joked many times about the Vader and Jedi Luke to get people riled up -- yes, part of me even wanted that set -- would be a great set -- but you'll find many posts where I agreed that HT's coming Vader would likely be ANH.

Is that selective?

Last edited:

Lol, you guys sure have selective memories. :lol

You've got to be kidding me.

No-one said that HT's would never make a Vader however several did say that HT's wouldn't release any version of Vader so close to SS's. Look where we are now, a HT's Vader reveal in 2014. :D

If anyone was arguing that HT wouldn't release an ANH Vader with 6 other ANH figures, their posts weren't even worth responding to. No doubt why I don't remember them. :D

Most were arguing that HT wouldn't dare release a Vader so soon. Some agreed that IF HT showed a Vader -- maybe in a year or so -- then it would likely be ANH Vader. There are many here who think HT has some responsibility to SS. Well, hopefully this dashes that idea -- as SS has Vader up for Preorder still this January. How many of those orders do you think we be held?

Alright, alright, fellas, no need to get testy. Lord Vader is watching. :lol

kcvdewp1plc6d0de4nk9.gif

If anyone was arguing that HT wouldn't release an ANH Vader with 6 other ANH figures, their posts weren't even worth responding to. No doubt why I don't remember them. :D

Agreed (but those posts did happen ;)). :duff

There are many here who think HT has some responsibility to SS.

I think that's it now. HT's are full steam ahead and with the release of Vader it confirms that they have no release schedule ties to SS. I fully expect HT's to be the dominant company in producing 1/6 scale The Force Awakens figures.

Not testy -- but when you've gotten blasted like me for saying something and then it comes true and someone says 'well you didn't really say that' its aggravating. I'm sure he's looking for a particular post to support his comment right now. Waste. Everyone here knows I've been stoking the fires of the 'soon-to-come Vader', sometimes making fun, but always because I truly believed it.

And I'm so stoked that the reveal is here!

I think I wont get R2 and C3PO since Hot Toys will release one anyways. So Leia and Luke next or R2 and 3PO next?

They've demonstrated they don't care what Sideshow has done before, but how many collectors are going to buy the HT droids when the SSC ones are still selling?

Hot Toys is definitely the way to go now I think, they do such a great job with all of the figures they make so you know really that your getting good value for money. :)

Except Han of course...

They've demonstrated they don't care what Sideshow has done before, but how many collectors are going to buy the HT droids when the SSC ones are still selling?

I do wonder if a HT Threepio will be revealed before SS gets theirs in my hand? Same with R2.

But if the "6" for ANH holds to be true -- and every indication seems to make it so -- then HT is finished with its ANH line after the Luke/Leia reveal, likely this Christmas. So unless droids are part of ESB or ROTJ, perhaps they will let Sideshow have those two.

Of course, I wouldn't trust HT on that.

Agreed (but those posts did happen ;)). :duff
:duff

I think that's it now. HT's are full steam ahead and with the release of Vader it confirms that they have no release schedule ties to SS. I fully expect HT's to be the dominant company in producing 1/6 scale The Force Awakens figures.
Yep, SSC is going to be more of a niche player now, I guess. Surprised in a way that they ponied up for the new license w/Disney. I think if I was them, I'd have dropped the line and just made money from distribution.

Not testy -- but when you've gotten blasted like me for saying something and then it comes true and someone says 'well you didn't really say that' its aggravating. I'm sure he's looking for a particular post to support his comment right now. Waste.
Haha, nope. I know what we argued about, and it was specifically ESB Vader. I think you're wrong about SSC and HT's business relationship, too. As has been mentioned ad nauseum, SSC's ANH Vader is like 7 years old now. So there's no stepping on any toes w/a refresh. If they'd released an ESB Vader = problems. I don't think HT will be excessively deferential to SSC, but they will show some business sense in regards to their largest distributor.

...But if the "6" for ANH holds to be true -- and every indication seems to make it so -- then HT is finished with its ANH line after the Luke/Leia reveal, likely this Christmas. So unless droids are part of ESB or ROTJ, perhaps they will let Sideshow have those two...
But this is non-sensical in relation to your Vader/"HT doesn't care about hurting SSC" argument. Either they care or they don't. If they don't, why would they worry at all about releasing sure-fire money makers like 3PO and R2? I'm sure HT does care. 1. SSC is their biggest distributor, 2. Less $$$ if they split the market with competing products like Asmus and ACI are doing with LotR.

Last edited:

I may end buying it, I admit it, but:
-it's the weakest version of the suit IMHO, with awful symmetric helm and one piece shoulder armor. And skinny Hayden.
-just what...1 minute of screen time?

so why bother?

I didn't realize there were so many differences. RoTS vs. ANH.

sithhope.jpg

sithhope2.jpg

sithhope3.jpg

More pics, info, at this Web site: Vader Helmet Comparison

Not testy -- but when you've gotten blasted like me for saying something and then it comes true and someone says 'well you didn't really say that' its aggravating. I'm sure he's looking for a particular post to support his comment right now. Waste. Everyone here knows I've been stoking the fires of the 'soon-to-come Vader', sometimes making fun, but always because I truly believed it.

And I'm so stoked that the reveal is here!

It's all good, man. :duff

Haha, nope. I know what we argued about, and it was specifically ESB Vader. I think you're wrong about SSC and HT's business relationship, too. As has been mentioned ad nauseum, SSC's ANH Vader is like 7 years old now. So there's no stepping on any toes w/a refresh. If they'd released an ESB Vader = problems. I don't think HT will be excessively deferential to SSC, but they will show some business sense in regards to their largest distributor.

Well, if so, then its just my anticipatory aggravation unleashed on you unfairly, and I apologize. But that kind of thing happens so often -- not just to me, I've seen others be a victim of it -- that it gets me.

I know we disagree about the HT/SS relationship to some degree. But my gut tells me that they won't release droids (3PO and R2 any time soon) -- at least I believe that, which would hold with your position. But I will say that I wouldn't be surprised if they did reveal the droids at some point before VII. I don't think they will, but I wouldn't be surprised.

That's said -- HT Vader's here! :panic:

I didn't realize there were so many differences.

View attachment 148894

More pics, info, at this Web site: Vader Helmet Comparison

It's all good, man. :duff

I'm guessing the one on the left is from ROTJ...looks like he has sad eyes. The "widow's peak" on the right helmet makes it look more serious and angry. Yet another reason not to like ROTJ :lol

Back