1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having owned the first sideshow Vaders, I was a bit reluctant to acquire another. However, as in hand pics started coming in I felt myself more amazed by the Hot Toys version and quickly liquidated the others.

Its easy to try and find faults of the HT figure like the gloves and stomach ponch, and the inconvenience of the voice functions. (I tried to dislike it because of the cost!) However, the SS versions have way more blaring issues if you want to apple and orange it.

End of story: Having owned all 3 Vaders I can tell you without doubt that I am most pleased with the HT version.

Congrats to all who made the same leap.

I will be one of those who made that leap. My new HT Vader arrives tomorrow after much uncertainty to go for it while owning the SS deluxe version. Vader is important enough of a character to me to get this new one, even though I was pretty satisfied with the SS.

Thanks for your testimony that I made the right decision! I'm more excited for this than I've been for a figure in awhile. Can't wait to match him up with Obi-Wan in the case.

So, went out tonight and bought Fiskas sewing scissors with the intent of modification on the Vader suit - to get to the electronics easier. Thanks to the Toy Anxiety update the other night, was able to score replacement: inner cape, upper suit, and main body suit - that way, I have a mint version still.

What I did in the end:

* cut a 1/4" off the suit at the right wrist - just enough where the gloved hand still fully covers the outer suit - but I can switch the lightsaber button easily. The Scissors I used made a very neat cut - didn't want to cause fraying.
* removed wires from inner tunic
*cut a small hole in the back of the main body suit, the upper body suit, and the inner cloak - left the cape as it is - perfectly intact. Then applied a little gorilla tape to form a square hole in the back - with the attempt at preventing further fraying from the cut tonight. Now, I can fully enjoy the electronics. I seem to have the Vader that works fine, as long as I turn the body switch off before the 15 min automatic switch off feature. When that happens, I have to remove batteries then re-insert. No biggie.

Will take some pics when I get my new camera this week from Amazon!

Last edited:
....So I picked this figure up locally on sort of an impulse (x-mas money and three-paycheck month will do that) the figure itself is great but is it just mine, or is the remote sound effect gimmick a complete joke? The batteries were hell to install, (I hate playing 'Barbie' with my figures and stripping off clothes) and the remote control lights-up but the breathing doesn't work even though the figure is turned on and the batteries appear to be installed properly.

....So I picked this figure up locally on sort of an impulse (x-mas money and three-paycheck month will do that) the figure itself is great but is it just mine, or is the remote sound effect gimmick a complete joke? The batteries were hell to install, (I hate playing 'Barbie' with my figures and stripping off clothes) and the remote control lights-up but the breathing doesn't work even though the figure is turned on and the batteries appear to be installed properly.

Many are having problems with the figure's electronics and all agree they're very poorly designed.

So, there is a known issue that affects some Vaders. And I am talking the switch on his back for the sound Fx. If you leave the batteries on, the kill switch feature automatically shuts the Vader off and you cannot restart it UNLESS you remove the batteries and put em back in. Either yours will work, or it will not. If it does, Congrats you have the properly functioning ones (properly being an extremely loose term here). if yours does not work with the removal/reinsert of the batteries, yours is one of the 'bad' ones.

What I cannot understand from HT is this: why not just design the switch to be longer, and slightly exposed out of the back and tailor the suit accordingly? Its a bizarre oversight. One I've kinda assumed speaks to a rushed production process, but pure speculation on my part.

So, there is a known issue that affects some Vaders. And I am talking the switch on his back for the sound Fx. If you leave the batteries on, the kill switch feature automatically shuts the Vader off and you cannot restart it UNLESS you remove the batteries and put em back in. Either yours will work, or it will not. If it does, Congrats you have the properly functioning ones (properly being an extremely loose term here). if yours does not work with the removal/reinsert of the batteries, yours is one of the 'bad' ones.

What I cannot understand from HT is this: why not just design the switch to be longer, and slightly exposed out of the back and tailor the suit accordingly? Its a bizarre oversight. One I've kinda assumed speaks to a rushed production process, but pure speculation on my part.

Thanks for the info... I will play with it some more when I have the patience to futz with it. Fortunately, it really isn't a deal killer a long with the impossible to install belt batteries.

Thanks, glad I didn't just get a dud. Not a biggie, as I didn't even know it has this feature when I bought it.

No, all are duds electronically. It's a shame because I was really looking forward to the remote control sound feature. The saber and belt boxes, although kind of a pain to turn on and off, are all fine on mine though.

More importantly than that why even give the thing a kill switch? It should just be an on and off switch if you want it on you flip it and leave it that way and when the batteries run out they run out and unless you are spending 12 hours a day making him talk they will last anyway.

This is the case with all of their light up features and the voice stuff on the robocop figures.

Tell me one person who cares about how the figure looks that can unscrew and rescrew the batteries and dress him and futz him to look good all in 15 mins? And tell me one person who cares about breathing effects and three muffled lines from the movie to go through all that trouble.

I'm not a price nazi but it does bother me that defective engineering over a really unneeded feature is driving up the price

Got my Dar Vader in. Pretty nice, but is there a way to make his arms rest at his sides? They're kind of pointed out a wide angle

Got my replacement belt boxes from Sideshow today -- THANK YOU customer service!

My new right box works great at last. I can't unscrew the new left box for the life of me and fear stripping the screw. Now I got to run to Osh for a itty-bity Phillips screw driver.

Got my Dar Vader in. Pretty nice, but is there a way to make his arms rest at his sides? They're kind of pointed out a wide angle

Have the same issue. I'm thinking its the cloth but maybe try moving arms forward then aligning straight before pushing down. will try that out when I get home.

TA sent me an extra padded Vader suit instead of a padded old ben suit. Called them up and got it squared away. Really awesome people over there. And, it always pays to be honest!

Have the same issue. I'm thinking its the cloth but maybe try moving arms forward then aligning straight before pushing down. will try that out when I get home.

I'll give it a try later. Probably the suit since it's pretty thick material

Got my replacement belt boxes from Sideshow today -- THANK YOU customer service!

My new right box works great at last. I can't unscrew the new left box for the life of me and fear stripping the screw. Now I got to run to Osh for a itty-bity Phillips screw driver.

I suppose you make me want to test the electronics before the sideshow 30s ends .

Ugh

Just got my Vader and Ben , love them , can't wait to get time to play with more poses

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 232
Back