1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're just going to have to do re-releases and make future Star Wars releases in much larger volumes. They would likely have to do market research on anything that could potentially be edging toward "obscure" though.

I'd like to think this is one hobby that people can't necessarily scalp... so there's no reason this line shouldn't be available for the fans that can afford it.

Yes, the exchange rate here in Australia is almost exactly the same as the CAD against the USD. My Vader was pre-ordered at $399 (AUD) back in October - which is outrageous (it's now pre-ordering at $429 locally). There's been this terrible price hike that slyly came into effect during the peak of Star Wars hype, likely in the hope that fans would simply eat it and still buy. And that has certainly happened. I sold off all my Ashley Wood Adventure Kartel figures to get into this Hot Toys line, but that's not going to cover all of the OT figures by a significant margin given the exchange rate and base HT pricing.

I'm seeing double packs of Han and Chewie going for $1,500. Utter madness.

Reports are another 8-10 cent drop over the first half of 2016 as well. Thank god C3PO is out this week which only leaves Leia. Then more Sandies, then hopefully Tarkin, then OT Hoth, Bespin and Jedi :gah:

Yes, the exchange rate here in Australia is almost exactly the same as the CAD against the USD. My Vader was pre-ordered at $399 (AUD) back in October - which is outrageous (it's now pre-ordering at $429 locally). There's been this terrible price hike that slyly came into effect during the peak of Star Wars hype, likely in the hope that fans would simply eat it and still buy. And that has certainly happened. I sold off all my Ashley Wood Adventure Kartel figures to get into this Hot Toys line, but that's not going to cover all of the OT figures by a significant margin given the exchange rate and base HT pricing.

I'm seeing double packs of Han and Chewie going for $1,500. Utter madness.

My biggest concern is the inevitable fact that these will all eventually sell out. I already missed Han and Chewie and the OT trooper. Basically I was just going to get Vader, Kylo, Sandtrooper , FO trooper, and the flame trooper. But they will all eventually sell out long before the Cdn dollar un****s itself (if it ever does). So my dilemma is do severely limit my buying to maybe 1 or 2 figures this year and hope that the wars figures either stay in stock (won't happen) or buy them aftermarket for billionaire prices. Or do I buy these figures at the kick in the pants exchange rate prices knowing that at least I'll have them. I don't know if I can bare to see that kind of damage to my bank account each month for the next few.

OK I think I'm actually gonna cancel. He's gonna cost me almost $500 Canadian. **** the Canadian dollar.

Tell me about it...CAD is really screwed right now. Bad times for Canadian collectors for sure.

If this was 2014 I would of bought all Star Wars releases by HT.

Try Kijiji, found some good deals and you will save on tax, just use some common sense to stay safe ofcourse.

as someone with the sideshow Vader thinking about getting this Vader to have next to the ssc concept Vader. I'm not sure if I should pull the trigger on this Vader or save my money and get the Vader PF or the HT Fett. It seems like this figure gets an A for effort, but the pros don't outweigh the cons

That's not what I would say at all. I have this and the SS ANH Vader (which I liked, despite it's flaws) and the HT Vader is vastly superior. I've been following this thread for a while and my take away has been that even with the problems with electronics and the odd gloves, this is the Vader to have.

Will there be an updated ESB/ROTJ Vader in the future? Most likely, but the question is how long do you want to wait.

Well, it looks like I'm gonna have to send my Darth Vader back.

I went to try and re-activate the sound feature on him, after initially playing with it on the first day and now he is mute. I undressed him and reset the switch only to find that he no longer talks... or breathes. Only thing that comes on is the red light on the remote.

This sucks.

Part of me thinks I should just keep him and not use the sound feature. But I can't keep him knowing that he is broken.

that`s how I feel. I want everything in working order. if the part is broke then it`s like it`s ruined and wont be worth nothing from a collector point of view

I was going over the foot ware between the HT vader and the ssc ANH vader . man does those ssc vader bootslook huge compare to the ht version. it`s like a size 16" to a size 22"

My biggest concern is the inevitable fact that these will all eventually sell out. I already missed Han and Chewie and the OT trooper. Basically I was just going to get Vader, Kylo, Sandtrooper , FO trooper, and the flame trooper. But they will all eventually sell out long before the Cdn dollar un****s itself (if it ever does). So my dilemma is do severely limit my buying to maybe 1 or 2 figures this year and hope that the wars figures either stay in stock (won't happen) or buy them aftermarket for billionaire prices. Or do I buy these figures at the kick in the pants exchange rate prices knowing that at least I'll have them. I don't know if I can bare to see that kind of damage to my bank account each month for the next few.

One good thing to note is there will likely be another Vader, Kylo, and Sandtrooper. The FO troopers are being so overproduced that I would wait to find one on the secondary market when people dump them for something new. Flametrooper is tough to say--had a small role in the movie and who knows if it will make another appearance.

I finally decided to buy this one and also used my avaliable points on it. $193 minus hipping. Pretty good. :) I don't own any other Star Wars figure, but I reckon Darth Vader is a good start. :D

I think this is one line where you have to jump on it while you can. The first Star Wars film carries such an emotional charge for collectors and fans that these will always be in high demand.

I finally decided to buy this one and also used my avaliable points on it. $193 minus hipping. Pretty good. :) I don't own any other Star Wars figure, but I reckon Darth Vader is a good start. :D

Congrats man. You won't be disapointed!

Having owned the first sideshow Vaders, I was a bit reluctant to acquire another. However, as in hand pics started coming in I felt myself more amazed by the Hot Toys version and quickly liquidated the others.

Its easy to try and find faults of the HT figure like the gloves and stomach ponch, and the inconvenience of the voice functions. (I tried to dislike it because of the cost!) However, the SS versions have way more blaring issues if you want to apple and orange it.

End of story: Having owned all 3 Vaders I can tell you without doubt that I am most pleased with the HT version.

Congrats to all who made the same leap.

I came back to this forum after being absent for a good while, and have found I came back at a terrible time lol. I caved last night and placed an order for both Vader and Obi-Wan. All these new Star Wars figures are just too fantastic looking to pass up.

:(

Tell me about it. I collect too many properties to get everything from Hot Toys, but these Star Wars figures are like reliving my childhood, except ten times better. It's like when I got the Legacy Collection Millenium Falcon.

I wish I had room for one more detolf. I would buy every major ANH character ASAP.

I think this is one line where you have to jump on it while you can. The first Star Wars film carries such an emotional charge for collectors and fans that these will always be in high demand.

That is indeed true, and I doubt anyone will ultimately lose money on these figures. As we have already seen, their value has already increased significantly on the secondary market, likely due to production quality, perceived scarcity, the current OT hype, etc. And with the Star Wars franchise now geared to offer a new film every year (with the upcoming Rogue One apparently a direct return to the 1977 vibe), fan fever will be kept carefully ticking over in a perpetual state of nostalgic anticipation. It's almost a near-perfect storm, which Hot Toys has certainly deftly exploited with mercenary efficiency - albeit by offering items of legitimate quality.

But it certainly is coming at a price, and like many I have had to sit down and budget out the cost - given the key releases haven't really been staggered as before. As Han, Chewbacca, Ben, Luke and Vader have effectively arrived en masse (with the various OT stormtrooper variants dotted around them), I'm relieved that Leia and Boba Fett will be some months later. And that's not including the choice selections from Sideshow (R2D2, C-3PO, Jawas, etc.) that may or may not be revisited by Hot Toys down the line...

It's good hearing other people's feelings about HT Vader in-hand versus the SS Vader. I'm still on the fence and not sure what to do.

:(

Tell me about it. I collect too many properties to get everything from Hot Toys, but these Star Wars figures are like reliving my childhood, except ten times better. It's like when I got the Legacy Collection Millenium Falcon.

I wish I had room for one more detolf. I would buy every major ANH character ASAP.

I've slowed down my collecting a lot lately, but Star Wars sucked me right back in. I'm trying to focus on the original trilogy characters right now before I eventually jump on some of the TFA stuff.

Back