1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wow! Thanks. The biggest difference that jumps right out at me is the helmet. The Hot Toys one looks great, and without being up on such details myself it does sound like it is the most accurate - at least to ANH. I'm going to guess that even if the ESB/ROTJ helmet prop is different from ANH that the SS one isn't very accurate. But this is just a guess.

Both figures in that photo could use some futzing, but I am surprised on how much better the quilting looks on the HT suit - that wasn't something I was expecting to see a difference in.

lol- now I am wondering if the HT helmet would fit on the SS body without much hassle - OR if the SS gloves will fit on the HT body.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing these Paramoremcr88.

1979901_10153156917982344_3714871510903516722_o.jpg

Bit bummed about the height on the HT Vader next to Chewy and the SSC DX Vader. The SSC DX isn't as bad as the SSC ANH but it's still noticeably too tall and the HT only looks to be slightly shorter. I guess this is progress though - we are inching closer to the correct height and maybe the HT ESB/ROTJ version will be just right.

Bit bummed about the height on the HT Vader next to Chewy and the SSC DX Vader. The SSC DX isn't as bad as the SSC ANH but it's still noticeably too tall and the HT only looks to be slightly shorter. I guess this is progress though - we are quarter-inching closer to the correct height and maybe the HT ESB/ROTJ version will be just right.

Fixed for you.

View attachment 223353

He looks nice with a set of stormtroopers behind him

The tall troopers don't look bad beside him size-wise. Shorty looks puny.

attachment.php

attachment.php

yeah the helmet on the HT is def better, but I don't think people should run and panic over swapping from the SSC to the HT, because the SSC still is a nice figure, and I know it sounds like I'm smoothing it over since I'm probably not getting the HT vader (I will surely bite on the next HT ESB vader as ESB anything > all, for me.) but I actually prefer the light up chestbox to the complicated to reach voice sounds at this point, and the differences aren't crucial enough or leaps and bounds for me. That helmet is glorious however! Maybe this comment would be different if we were comparing two Fett figures. Anyone also noticing the difference in stitching? Did HT purposely make their stitch lines that way? The SSC stitching seems much more finer detailed, but maybe that's an artistic choice. If I could get a HT vader head to try on my SSC I'd be interested. But I wonder if the SSC head is domed like that for the reveal and the neck is like that for the portrait swap? You get a lot of head for your SSC $ lololol. Also for me, not sure it's worth mentioning the comparison of the chest box and belt box detailing as clearly the versions between ANH and ESB are different, but I do like the styling of detail that the SSC has... tbh a bit less nobby/bulky/toy looking than the HT. Not sure about accuracy here though. But visually.

That side view portrait of Vader though is just beautiful. Very very beautiful.

If anyone has both Vaders in hand.. would love to see what a headswap looks like on the SSC body :pray:

Speaking of Vader reveal, does the HT reveal anything under the top of the bucket? like that cool top of the head detailing

Gotta love the way the SS crotch pinches and warps too.

JCFETT: sounds like you should just stick with your SS Vader. Or wait for the HT ROTJ Vader in about 6-8 months.

I'm gonna get my old SS ANH Vader out of garage tomorrow to have a look side by side
I liked the deluxe Vader when first I got it , With is skinny body and the crotch guard that looked like a giant diper
I still thought it was the bee knees

Honestly, the only thing that is even worth something accuracy-wise on the Sideshow is the chest armor - not bells - compared to the Hot Toys, which isn't as accurate. With the modification of pulling up the chest box, belt and cod it's clear that the chest armor is wrong. Would be interesting to see the Hot Toys with the Sideshow chest armor (again, not the shoulder bells), though it is probably too big for that figure.

Seeing the in-hand pictures of the Hot Toys, then I honestly think their leather suit is far beyond what Sideshow did and actually looks fairly good.

The figure looks great but it looks like it's going to be a pain in the ass getting the batteries in. I can already tell it's going to be a project once it arrives. I watched The Clipper King's video and think I'll make the mods he did (other than I'll keep the armor over the tunic for the proper look from A New Hope) as I think they make the figure look better. The design of the sound feature doesn't seem the best either but I probably won't use it much.

Have to say those side by sides are very revealing. I was quite happy with my SSC Deluxe and thought it was a beaut in-hand, but every single flaw is as stark as can be next to HT's.

Last edited:
Back