1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 262 - Star Wars Episode IV - 1/6th scale Chewbacca Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been dabbling with highlighting and darkening parts of the sculpt on and off over the past couple weeks. Work on it for a few minutes then back in the display, pick him up again with fresh eyes a couple days later and add some more - trying hard not to over do it. I think i'm feeling good about where he's at... for now :wink1:
FullSizeRender2.jpg

So would you all say it's difficult to get Chewie looking great (not so much the futzing of the fur, but specifically fixing the coloring)? I really don't like the look of the stock figure, but have seen some nice results from people's mods. I haven't modded any figures before, and I certainly wouldn't attempt anything along the lines of disassembling the jaw, like some more talented individuals here have done. But, coloring the fur (especially with something that could be wiped/washed off) seems doable.

Basically I have the option of purchasing a pre-owned Chewie figure that's already had its face colored, and it looks good, but it would be more expensive than if I were to buy a brand new Chewie and do it myself (about $60 or so more, although that doesn't take into account the cost of art supplies). It could even be fun and rewarding if I did it myself, I suppose. Keep in mind I'm not any kind of artist.

Nevermind, the modded Chewie I was looking at is no longer available. So, I may have to give in and try modding one myself.

Nevermind, the modded Chewie I was looking at is no longer available. So, I may have to give in and try modding one myself.

It's not difficult. After I loosened the fur on his face and chin I used this Tamiya weathering set with a small makeup brush and Q-Tips. I liked using the powder instead of acrylics because for me it was easier to blend, back off and brush out color if you don't like where it's going.

Here's an early photo of mine, only half his face was done at this point.
61f9910165ddf402fddba84685414d28.jpg

It's not difficult. After I loosened the fur on his face and chin I used this Tamiya weathering set with a small makeup brush and Q-Tips. I liked using the powder instead of acrylics because for me it was easier to blend, back off and brush out color if you don't like where it's going.

Here's an early photo of mine, only half his face was done at this point.

Cool, I'd be interested in seeing the final product!

Welp I’m super bummed right now because I just received a cancelation of my waitlist order from SSC... guess I ordered too late. I was really hoping to get this one, and for a decent price.

Welp I’m super bummed right now because I just received a cancelation of my waitlist order from SSC... guess I ordered too late. I was really hoping to get this one, and for a decent price.

Not sure what others on here think, but there's always a chance HT will release a Solo movie branded version...?

Not sure what others on here think, but there's always a chance HT will release a Solo movie branded version...?

Yea I thought about that, and, since my collection is primarily ESB focused I may wait until they start soliciting that version and preorder.

Yea I thought about that, and, since my collection is primarily ESB focused I may wait until they start soliciting that version and preorder.
An ESB version would be good, if HT can nail the likeness... 3rd time lucky? It'd be interesting to see what accessories they would include with that version.
I am glad I picked up this EpIV version (on the 2nd run) but the likeness is definitely off, and I wish it had an articulated jaw - though we all saw how that turned out...

I'd say there is a good to very good chance that they will release a Solo Chewie. Infact I'd almost take the waitlist cancellation as a sign that they are clearing up all pre-orders for previous Chewies knowing collectors will then have a chance at the Solo version.

Only speculation on my part, but it makes some logical sense to me.

And that's AUD not USD ! Pretty much everyone has good things to say about Popcultcha. Shipping to the States (from Australia) is often cheaper than Sideshow !

Just to make things worse for you here's my favourite pic of ANH Chewie. Can't remember who it was from, but it's the best I've seen.

That's where the bar is for me. Really need to do some futzing on my ANH Chewie !!!

bee9e64a63037c6e482f9ac2dc0b9580.jpg

My early memories of Chewie are of the ANH action figure that my older brother had which just had flat combed hair around his head. In a way I prefer the out of the box look of him because it reminds me of that toy.

Back