1/6 Hot Toys MMS 261-Star Wars: Episode IV-Han Solo 1/6th Scale Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good resemblance.

52d2d41d165a427928ba91a88329dfa4.jpg

This was definitely done by 3D scanning !!!

This is a dream ... A bad dream !!! I hardly could sleep last night haunted by this awefulness of this sculpt and its lack of resemblance.

I hope that you're exaggerating as I would be concerned that you're being a little obsessive about this. There a lot of things to lose sleep over. Whether a figure looks like Harrison Ford is not one of them.

Let's pray to God that Hot Toys never starts employing 3D scanning to start the sculpt process. Gentle Giant here we come!

A fellow collector did this over at the OSW, all kudos to him.

Although the angle is slightly different between the two photos, I think it show quite clearly where the areas of improvement are.

I see an angry Ford in the modifications made, which is closer than what we are currently getting. I would be surprised they "tweak" it. They never touched Indy.

I hope that you're exaggerating as I would be concerned that you're being a little obsessive about this. There a lot of things to lose sleep over. Whether a figure looks like Harrison Ford is not one of them.

It was even understated ...

Let's pray to God that Hot Toys never starts employing 3D scanning to start the sculpt process. Gentle Giant here we come!

QFT :goodpost:

People still think that scanning is where it's at in terms of getting a likeness. Nothing will beat a sculpt at the end of the day. Even then things are always open to "artistic interpretation". The real issue is that people are trying to hold gospel a static image to an organic object. Nothing that is constantly moving can be truly captured in my opinion. If it gets close enough that's plenty fine for me.

QFT :goodpost:

People still think that scanning is where it's at in terms of getting a likeness. Nothing will beat a sculpt at the end of the day. Even then things are always open to "artistic interpretation". The real issue is that people are trying to hold gospel a static image to an organic object. Nothing that is constantly moving can be truly captured in my opinion. If it gets close enough that's plenty fine for me.

I don't think there's anything wrong with 3d scanning as long as the sculpts look good. It's usually the paint that ruins a lot of great sculpts. HT has the best paint apps in 1/6 scale, so 3D scanning could be a good thing for certain figures. Clearly, they could use it with Ford and Heath Ledger.

I don't think they're utilizing 3D printing and scanning yet. Although I think they should as it'll give us a more accurate likeness when it comes to these sculpts.

If their backstage pictures is anything to go by they still sculpt all of these by hand.

10665790_778345992229719_2701424401662078488_n.jpg

It would be pretty difficult to laser scan Harrison Ford from 35 years ago. I'm just sayin'. But I'd imagine that in some of the newer figures they might get the scans from the studios as a starting point. But any sculptor will tell you - a scan is JUST a starting point and must be refined by hand, either in a CAD program or actually by hand.

I'm new to 1/6 but just wondering why none of the big companies can 'nail' Harrison Ford's likeness...when they can catch every nuance of Ben Kingsley's or Michael Caine's mugs to perfection.

We'll get to the bottom of the Big Bang vs. Religion debate before we can crack that nut

:rock

I'll have 25 shots of whiskey and say it just the once

By that point it will look like Carrie Fisher.

.... in slave-wear

I'm in agreement, a 3D scan doesn't capture necessarily what we've seen on screen nor what we want to see in a finished product. We don't want reality, we want what we perceive as reality. ;) What we see on the screen or in a photo has a lot of work put into it. Anyone who has met any actor/model in person can tell you that.

It would be pretty difficult to laser scan Harrison Ford from 35 years ago. I'm just sayin'. But I'd imagine that in some of the newer figures they might get the scans from the studios as a starting point. But any sculptor will tell you - a scan is JUST a starting point and must be refined by hand, either in a CAD program or actually by hand.
Oh no I understand that. I just think if they incorporated 3D scanning it would help them start off on the right foot. I don't think they do any 3D scanning though. It always seems like they start sculpting based off of reference pictures.

Back