1/6 Hot Toys-MMS 217-The Lone Ranger-Tonto 1/6th Scale Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Serious question here...do you one the NECA figure? B/c I do and while the arms are about right, the body looks fat and the features on the face are exaggerated (think the face got warped or something in production).

I do indeed, and I have photographed it literally hundreds of times. If you look at Depp in the film, he has almost a hint of a pudge, so I'd suggest the NECA body sculpt is accurate. Certainly it's more accurate than the Ravishing Rick Rude torso on the Hot Toys figure.

To me the NECA face totally evokes Depp! I guess I'm crazy.

If you look at Depp in the film, he has almost a hint of a pudge...

See, I told you! He's not ripped at all!

14322899540_72b0bce78f_o.jpg

...seriously, it's strangely difficult to find a good full-body photo of Depp as Tonto.

I haven't seen either figure in hand, but Neca figures have always been bad to me. Not saying you're wrong, that's just been my general experience.
I only popped in here because I grabbed some of the accessories for another figure and wanted to see if they look as good "in person." Is the movie any good?

I'm a very recent NECA convert myself; I had no interest until they started adding articulation.

Is the movie any good?

It is strange, and uneven, and uncertain of what it wishes to be.

It is also daring, intriguing, dark, funny and delightfully, almost irredeemably weird.

I recommend reading Luke Thompson's hasty analysis, as well as Matt Zoller Seitz's perceptive review:

https://www.toplessrobot.com/2013/07/fanboy_flick_pick_the_lone_ranger_a_tone_stranger.php

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-lone-ranger-2013

See, I told you! He's not ripped at all!

14322899540_72b0bce78f_o.jpg

...seriously, it's strangely difficult to find a good full-body photo of Depp as Tonto.

I'm sorry to tell you but you're comparing the wrong facts. That image above is the older version of Tonto. What your saying is better than the Hot Toys is the Younger version which as I recall Depp had some built to him in the film. It's like comparing Apples and Oranges. You can't do that. If you love the Neca so much fine but most of us are happy with what Hot Toys have done. You didn't spend a dime so you might as well just stop trolling the thread saying this is garbage and Neca is superior. I own series 1 and 2 of the Neca Lone Ranger Figures. I enjoy them but they are no where accurate to Depp or the make up in the film. Get the facts straight.

doesn't feel right having Tonto without the Ranger

If it weren't for the Depp factor we probably wouldn't even have Tonto. Though I probably would've preferred all or nothing.

As for the pic, I'm pretty sure that was a joke.

As for the movie, it certainly shook apart all my preconceptions of what The Lone Ranger should be, from the costume to the characterisation. It took me a while to come around, but I see now that different interpretations can be a positive, rather than just recycling the same old tropes.

I do indeed, and I have photographed it literally hundreds of times. If you look at Depp in the film, he has almost a hint of a pudge, so I'd suggest the NECA body sculpt is accurate. Certainly it's more accurate than the Ravishing Rick Rude torso on the Hot Toys figure.

To me the NECA face totally evokes Depp! I guess I'm crazy.
no you're not crazy...we all see things differently. I sounds crazy to most when I say Reeve wasn't the best superman ever :lol And while Depp may not be shredded he's got some tone to his abs. definitely not chubby. i hope I'm not coming off as obnoxious btw :peace
I haven't seen either figure in hand, but Neca figures have always been bad to me. Not saying you're wrong, that's just been my general experience.
I only popped in here because I grabbed some of the accessories for another figure and wanted to see if they look as good "in person." Is the movie any good?
I think they's gotten much better from the olden days. i loved their Assassin's Creed figures and the GoW3. Very nicely detailed though face paint could've been beter at times on human characters. I sold them though when i decided to stick to 1/6 and 1/4 though

And I enjoyed the movie the second time more than the first but I had no prior knowledge of what the Loner Ranger was all about aside from what he looked like. I thought it was a fun movie.
They used to be, but I've noticed their 1/4 line has improved dramatically the past coupla years. Whether that's flowed through to their smaller scale I can't say.
Idk about that. maybe just recently starting with Keaton batman. But their Avengers Cap, Thor and unmasked IM aren't all that great looking IMO. Keaton and Adam West Bats look pretty good as well as Dutch. Ledger Joker has some potential but we'll see when the production piece comes out.

I'm sorry to tell you but you're comparing the wrong facts. That image above is the older version of Tonto. What your saying is better than the Hot Toys is the Younger version which as I recall Depp had some built to him in the film. It's like comparing Apples and Oranges. You can't do that. If you love the Neca so much fine but most of us are happy with what Hot Toys have done. You didn't spend a dime so you might as well just stop trolling the thread saying this is garbage and Neca is superior. I own series 1 and 2 of the Neca Lone Ranger Figures. I enjoy them but they are no where accurate to Depp or the make up in the film. Get the facts straight.
I think he was just posting that in jest :wink1:

however, while I'm not as blunt as you are (i don't think at least :lol) I agree with the part in bold

I wouldn't say he's trolling. I think he wants to like the HT figure but by his own preference, likes the NECA more

I may of taken it over the top but it's either you like it or you don't. hate it move on. Like it fine. Make up your mind and no more jestering about it. Now keep the thread on track. Who else is getting this in?

I liked the movie enough to have invested $20 for the Neca figure but I don't think I will drop $200 for HT. I would rather hold the money for a BD T1 or another 80's / 90's iconic piece.

I liked the movie enough to have invested $20 for the Neca figure but I don't think I will drop $200 for HT. I would rather hold the money for a BD T1 or another 80's / 90's iconic piece.

Those classics will always get my money but I always like to add other things to the collection. But to compare Neca and Hot Toys as I've stated is like comparing Apples and Oranges. Both completely different and of course we all have our own opinion which I respect. Just don't compare the 2.

That image above is the older version of Tonto.

Others have addressed this for me. But seriously, man.

no you're not crazy...we all see things differently. I sounds crazy to most when I say Reeve wasn't the best superman ever

If you prefer Routh, you're my hero.

i hope I'm not coming off as obnoxious btw

I'm sure most would suggest that I'm the obnoxious one.

But their Avengers Cap, Thor and unmasked IM aren't all that great looking IMO. Keaton and Adam West Bats look pretty good as well as Dutch. Ledger Joker has some potential but we'll see when the production piece comes out.

I was all set to get the quarter scale Keaton, but when you turn his head the Bat symbol flies up to his shoulders. Ridiculous. As for the quarter scale Adam West, I have a weird complaint: he looks too badass! He looks very, very cool... but somehow too cool for that character.

I may of taken it over the top but it's either you like it or you don't. hate it move on. Like it fine. Make up your mind and no more jestering about it. Now keep the thread on track. Who else is getting this in?

no I agree completely. That's what I normally do. just say my peace and move on if I don't like a something. But we're not all the same :peace

To get back on track...I didn't realize prior to owning this figure that the tassle things on the neck/chest rings (please forgive me for not knowing the proper name) had the faux hair as well. thought that was going to be sculpt but I'm glad it's not. I know Depp characters aren't everyone's favorite but there's no doubt that HT doesn't shy away from giving their Depp figures maximum detail. i was looking this figure over when i got home and it just amazes me the intricacies of the costume and level of detail they went though. too cool IMO

I want this, but I just cannot make it a priority without Lone Ranger. It's like getting a Robin and no Batman. Kato without Green Hornet. Short Round without Indiana Jones.

…I'd actually get Short Round without Indiana Jones but whatever.

I want this, but I just cannot make it a priority without Lone Ranger. It's like getting a Robin and no Batman. Kato without Green Hornet. Short Round without Indiana Jones.

…I'd actually get Short Round without Indiana Jones but whatever.

Agree completely- HT will sell alot less Tontos without LR....

Pictures look good. What is your opinion on the figure?

AS you can tell he photographs well. Its weird, he looks different, skinny, puny compared to my SS figures but in pictures, he looks amazing. You can really see his details.

Things I experienced in my short time handling the figure:

1) The forearm separated from the elbow joint twice but easily went back into place.

2) Not sure how his pouch thingy gets attached.

3) There is no trigger finger, I'm going to slice mine with a razor to release the pointer from the other fingers.

Overall, this figure is very cool. Johnny Depp die hards may be disappointed however with the likeness.
Unfortunately the heavy price tag is going to hurt the sales of the this figure. For me he was a must. I would also love to see the Ranger.

Back