Hot Toys - Marvel's Spider-Man - Spider-Man (Classic Suit Version)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That seems to be the runny moto for Hot Toys and ALL of the Spidey figures.

Lets take one of the most extreme posing character and make all his figures with very limited clothing material. :cuckoo:

They had it right with the Amazing Spider-Man 2 figure. I just don't understand why they went with this weird basketball material for all the figures.

[...]

I'm guessing it's cheaper. I enjoyed ASM2 but his proportions started to bug me after a while.

ht_asm2_3.jpg

ht_asm2_4.jpg

Yup! Museum pose for me I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get some movement out of these suits, just proceed with caution.

spidey_advanced_8.jpg

spidey_advanced_1.jpg

Knowing my luck I would straight up rip the threads at the crotch if I tried that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With both of this figures, I proceeded in stages, carefully moving the suit fabric to where I needed it to go every step of the way. Both figure's suits recovered fully with zero marks, slack or damage after a light steaming and being left in neutral a couple days --- after being in those dynamic poses for weeks and months at a time.

It takes patience though.

I think the rubber suits are making me less interested in this. Id love to have a classic spidey but I also would want it to last and be able to do dynamic poses

Also has me worried that if they do indeed re-do the raimi suit, it will be rubber instead of cloth

With both of this figures, I proceeded in stages, carefully moving the suit fabric to where I needed it to go every step of the way. Both figure's suits recovered fully with zero marks, slack or damage after a light steaming and being left in neutral a couple days --- after being in those dynamic poses for weeks and months at a time.

It takes patience though.

Thank you for proving these figures can be posed. I'm sick of people saying they cannot. All you need is patiences. ASM 2 is really fun to pose.

I give up posting about how a little steam will make the suits return to normal. Majority of collectors still ignore the advice. Ive been doing it for years on various web heads and they all still look like new

I give up posting about how a little steam will make the suits return to normal. Majority of collectors still ignore the advice. Ive been doing it for years on various web heads and they all still look like new

That sounds too logical.

But I assume only on the fabric suits ? Or also on the plastic style suits like Hot Toys Iron Spider for example ??

Its worked on TASM, TASM2, homecoming, ps4 advanced suit and the scarlet suit. I cant comment of the others as i dont own them, but i suspect it works on them since they are essentially the same material. The HC homemade suit doesnt crease so no steam needed there

Honestly, for me it's not that I don't believe that solution works, but that I question the strategy of applying direct heat and moisture to the suits and what effects that will have long term.

I'm sure maybe doing it once or twice is fine. However, we already know of a lot of issues with costumes of these kinds, as well as pleather, being kept in humid climates.

Honestly, for me it's not that I don't believe that solution works, but that I question the strategy of applying direct heat and moisture to the suits and what effects that will have long term.

I'm sure maybe doing it once or twice is fine. However, we already know of a lot of issues with costumes of these kinds, as well as pleather, being kept in humid climates.

How is it any different than ironing your own clothes ?

Fair point. Although spidey suits arent pleather. I think a few times a year isnt going to degrade the suit like constant humidty does to pleather. Im sure some who live in these humid areas would also have at least one web head in their collection too and as far as im aware, no one has reported a degrading spiderman. I could be wrong, but ive never seen it reported.

I use the misses face steamer which is far more gentle than say holding the figure over a boiling kettle. It also, really doesnt need to be steamed for very long. I find about 5secs is more than enough and then a couple weeks in a museum pose and its done.

Fair point. Although spidey suits arent pleather. I think a few times a year isnt going to degrade the suit like constant humidty does to pleather. Im sure some who live in these humid areas would also have at least one web head in their collection too and as far as im aware, no one has reported a degrading spiderman. I could be wrong, but ive never seen it reported.

I use the misses face steamer which is far more gentle than say holding the figure over a boiling kettle. It also, really doesnt need to be steamed for very long. I find about 5secs is more than enough and then a couple weeks in a museum pose and its done.

Yeah they aren't pleather I just meant pleather also has issues with humidity.

As far as spidey suits peeling you're right there haven't been cases that im aware of, but im also guessing the spider man vgm line up hasn't been around long enough for us to really see what the effect will be over time. People are just now reporting BVS and Suicide squad suits whose rubber suits are peeling. So could be a while until we really know the extent of how these are truly aging.

I do agree though a few times a year is probably not a big deal. I have seen people recommend the kettle solution (and even hair dryer!), but I definitely wouldn't be comfortable enough with that. Face steamer may be okay, but again I probably won't risk it to find out.

Hairdryer? I would have thought thats too hot and would dry the suit out.

A kettle is also too hot and kicks out a lot more moisture that a gentle face steamer. May as well use an iron. Still, each their own.

Maybe a gentle steaming will help stop the suits from drying out as im guessing thats what causes the cracking/flaking in the first place :dunno

Its getting to the stage now where i have so many web heads that a museum pose is what i have to resort to, to display them all.

You don't even need to do that. In my experience, just leaving them in a museum pose for a few days an the material will shrink back into shape.

As someone who is just getting started collecting the video game Spidey figures, I would LOVE to click a link and hear more about this. I want my dudes to be dynamic!

Back