Hot Toys - DX16 / DX17 - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now having both in hand, I 100% prefer the HT Maul, hands down. SSC is still a good figure but for me the HT Maul is great. Only problem though is he has a paint application issue which I have contacted Sideshow for an exchange.

Agree. I have both as well and side by side I really prefer the HT now. The Sideshow is still a nice figure but bare bones and overpriced at full retail.

The second I pulled him out of the foam..I was like..."oh dayuuummmm." quite the opposite of what i was initially expecting. I really was thinking I bought a very expensive Hasbro redo based on some of the earlier photos. The face does not have that glossy sheen and is a matte finish. You can see some areas on the figure where HT did their best to make it look like tattoos in the variation of the thickness of the face paint. :clap

My last figures were Palps and Sith Ani and this bumps them IMO.

Attachments

• IMG_8870.jpeg
    IMG_8870.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 275
Lies, deceptions everywhere...this is madness!

How dare all of you defy the superiority of SS Maul :mad:

p.s. I myself have grown accostomed to thinking that Maul had that bright orange red face. However, that was not really the case. What sells is for me with the HT is the black tattoo lines on the face. The SS has these skinny @ss undefined lines on its face.

Attachments

• darth_maul.jpg
    darth_maul.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 268
  • 4200a71e3e933daf988d15a0dbb8d693.jpg
    4200a71e3e933daf988d15a0dbb8d693.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 277
In hand I have no complaints about the skin. Articulation is excellent and with the dynamic stand really allows it to pull off great poses. The outer robe is kind of hard to shape and futz around with though. But other than that this is a solid awesome piece. I was honestly surprised to come in here a few days ago and see so many not into this figure, but it seems as more people get it the positive comments start to increase.

View attachment 462547

I don't understand the sand base. Is it a sticker? Is it supposed to be mounted on the base or does it just sit loose? Is the clear pole propping up the speeder supposed to be so unsturdy?

View attachment 462547

I don't understand the sand base. Is it a sticker? Is it supposed to be mounted on the base or does it just sit loose? Is the clear pole propping up the speeder supposed to be so unsturdy?

You have to push the speeder rod in there pretty firmly for it to be stable, you haven't used enough force. Sand base is a sticker that replaces the top if you want it to, but I just used double sided tape to hold it in place yet still be removable.

Does anyone know if the box size of the standard/no speeder packaging on this qualifies for Sideshows Packout option? I really hate when they have no choice to ship using just the Hot toys brown shipper.

Thanks in advance!!

Does anyone know if the box size of the standard/no speeder packaging on this qualifies for Sideshows Packout option? I really hate when they have no choice to ship using just the Hot toys brown shipper.

Thanks in advance!!
It’s the same size as Sith Ani- which did not qualify for packout. Yep, my box arrived dinged up.
This was my last purchase from SS for that reason. Only bought Maul from them because half of the cost was my reward points.

I don't care as long as the box is undamaged.
BBTS ships with double box, with USPS. The package gets handled by customs where they open both the outer box and shipper box by cutting through (They almost cut the actual box once).
SSC ships with shipper box, handled by DHL, UPS, etc. They present it to customs with documents. Never gets opened. Same price. I prefer the second.
LCDN ships without shipper box, in a normal box, handled by national postal service. Customs cut the outer box, see the actual box and don't go further.
One more advantage of SSC over BBTS is SSC prints discounted price on the invoice, however BBTS prints full price whatever reward you use which increases customs fee.

PS. I must add that if I were in US, I would go with BBTS.

Thanks in advance!!

I got the no speeder exclusive version, and it did not qualify for packout (it's wider than the usual SS packout box for HT figures).

Heads up- there is no little piece of cardboard in the box top and bottom. Careful not to slice your art box!

I don't care as long as the box is undamaged.
BBTS ships with double box, with USPS. The package gets handled by customs where they open both the outer box and shipper box by cutting through (They almost cut the actual box once).
SSC ships with shipper box, handled by DHL, UPS, etc. They present it to customs with documents. Never gets opened. Same price. I prefer the second.
LCDN ships without shipper box, in a normal box, handled by national postal service. Customs cut the outer box, see the actual box and don't go further.
One more advantage of SSC over BBTS is SSC prints discounted price on the invoice, however BBTS prints full price whatever reward you use which increases customs fee.

PS. I must add that if I were in US, I would go with BBTS.

SSC marks down the price? Isn't that technically illegal? I'm shocked they would do that.

Although maybe not, when I was at their booth someone was trying to buy something sold out, the couple was from the UK, and the SSC guy was telling them to buy the Sith Trooper and sell it in the UK to make some money since no one has it there yet. Just seems like an odd thing to suggest to your customers.

As far as I remember, they show full price, discount and the paid amount on the invoice, but have to check. On the other hand, wouldn't the opposite be illegal? Preparing a 200 usd invoice for a product you charged 150usd?
I checked the customs document. SSC invoice have full value and customer paid columns. So I think it's legal.

Back