Hot Toys - DX16 / DX17 - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have noticed myself passing on a handful of recent NECA releases (six to date) that where part of my “must have” list for 2019 (approx. $280 CAN). When I see a release like “DX Maul”, I pat myself on the back for deferring my NECA funds to HT. I would rather have a high end Maul then six little plastic figures averaging $40+ Can each ($70 for Assassin Predator)

On a tight budget, I usually look at it the other way, getting quantity for my money, more to enjoy, unless an exception comes along.

Still waiting on a official HT version of the new Godzilla

Given an X-Plus vinyl costs nearly as much as an HT figure, can only imagine an HT Godzilla would cost $500-$1000.

I didn’t realize how much of a fan I am of them until all of these well-executed figures that are hard to say no to. Funny how that is.

Gotta be the nostalgia since I grew up on those.

I didn't grow up on them, but the '90s have many fond memories for me. What a decade!

This Maul just looks better and better as more reviews and pictures surface.

I may not be a PT fan, but Maul is certainly an exception.

Same. I do think that the PT has some beautiful design work. Maul, Naboo starfighters, Jango Fett, Phase I clonetroopers, costuming in general, etc.

Maul stalking back and forth in front of the force field while QGJ meditated. Stunning imagery.

Yep. I love that quiet moment.

As the ST has proven, Lucas' genius for (approving the right) design is clearly unmatched. Only RO gives the Lucas-touched films a run for their money.

Tell me about it. Still can't believe JJ approved Duck Troopers !

Look through any of the Art Of books and there are plenty of extremely cool stuff that fans would love. But I guess everyone likes some stuff more than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucas’s passion and gift for the visual was where the PT shined and fell apart. On the one hand, we got amazing visuals, on the other, it seemed like all he could focus on and handle. His direction with A New Hope worked because he had limitations so his imagination only went so far, leaving him to give the acting due attention, but with the PT and CGI, it became anything is possible and the actors didn’t challenge him because it was Star Wars and his baby, but he stopped raising his baby right.

Yep. I love that quiet moment.

As the ST has proven, Lucas' genius for (approving the right) design is clearly unmatched. Only RO gives the Lucas-touched films a run for their money.

When it comes to the ST imperial/First Order designs I agree that it’s definitely lacking. Or rather is over designed. But I also find the republic military over designed in the PT and lacking the simplicity of the OT. The ST resistance design on the other hand is often outstanding (not always and especially in TLJ) and very true to the OT. I absolutely love the Resistance bomber crew designs to give an example.

On a tight budget, I usually look at it the other way, getting quantity for my money, more to enjoy, unless an exception comes along.

No tight budget for me, just not into dropping $40+ on 7" figures anymore. Naturally exceptions do come along Faun, Pale Man and New Born!! :wink1:

I am breaking my OT only for HT rule with Maul but damn the presence he will have on the shelf!! :rock

Biggest insight I got was around the approach, I've historically taken photos with a goal of getting as many angles and such that I could, some of them not so great. His approach sounds more focused on planning out a shot, giving it proper post production time, and putting more effort into a smaller set of images than I'd do, which is apparent. I've definitely been trying to take this mindset to my own work, just haven't had much time to actually do it since I talked to him.

He even posts glimpses sometimes, here's a before and after he posted of Maul.

61820227_1808981879246965_86964225488421323_n.jpg

61967039_152399005813216_793099462653951370_n.jpg

Nice. I love almost every shot of his. That's why I had to post the rest of his pics earlier on.

How does he do the backgrounds ? With a big TV screen like others ? Or is it Photoshoped in ?

TV can be better cause you also get an appropriately coloured light source.

I do miss OMG's simplicity -- its was all about the figure, no backgrounds, no PS.

But of the more flashy, film-still realistic photographers of the 'new age'... I do love BG_Toyart's work.

Agree. I feel he actually knows the characters, and cares about posing them true to the character. Most other of the recent bloggers put characters in flashy poses just for the sake of it, without capturing the character's essence.

To me, Maul is OT family

As is young Obi Wan (even if that creates problems)

Point being, they measure up.

Nice. I love almost every shot of his. That's why I had to post the rest of his pics earlier on.

How does he do the backgrounds ? With a big TV screen like others ? Or is it Photoshoped in ?

TV can be better cause you also get an appropriately coloured light source.

Photoshop, one of the things I asked him because I know a number of people use monitors and TVs for back drops, that's why I shared the pair of images you quoted, one is the final, the other is the raw figure shot he composited in.

That picture was the start of many lies to come...

I remember vividly sitting in the theater in 1999 as Maul's speeder roared up, thinking: it's here, it's here -- the big fight, finally! And then I got this puny battle not even worthy of the Ben vs Vader slow-poke fight in ANH... I thought: what the hell? Where was the fight? Where was Obi? Did the film jump?

I know what you mean. I read terry brooks' novel prior to watching the movie and had this grand vision of what i would see. as soon as i saw the trade federation viceroys when they talked, i knew i would be disappointed.

The tatooine fight is very much a micrcosm of everything wrong with episode 1. Lots of anticipation, great set up, a flash of greatness, and a premature ej...ending.

I guess I'm glad I'm pretty much the same as then. Avoid trailers/spoilers/pre-production everything and then you can't be disappointed!

When people talk about x,y,z differing from the trailers it goes over my head, like anything with Rogue One, still haven't sought out any alternate footage from that.

Yep. :lol

And then they spend what seems like hours in the desert, at slave dinner, talking about the race, prepping for the race, having the race, recovering from the race...

The race section competes with Canto Bright section in length. Both could have been shorter to give room to other events.

Back