Hot Toys Darth Vader : tips , tricks and any other mods

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does the tunic/robe from
HTs sit on a Sideshow body? Too short?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are talking the Empire Vader with the thicker torso then the HT is probably too small width-wise. If you are talking the thinner New Hope Vader then it should fit fine.

I use the HT tunic on my SS and I think it looks good. Much better than the flimsy SS tunic

I'm looking to upgrade my Sideshow ROTJ in the cape and tunic department.

5e4ef45a93d109c0d03c88a12fa226d2.jpg

86eef380d3014069a71210ea57396450.jpg

2f9a011d3fc6b31b6702860370566a46.jpg

54939cf053ebcd60d54b1850283c6ab6.jpg

2ef727d7fd3553e6c7545f385604bc7e.jpg

5f087dc8dbdbbb26372cc76e4b5197be.jpg

1f778c9c774c0f41f9b55f34f9397899.jpg

4d5ffc3c5119110186e9a709b420a334.jpg

Just removed the entire grill. There is A LOT more material in there than you might think.

This is just a practice HS I’m working on, but I’m super nervous LOL!

I really want to get the grill to look right.

63c349775aaa999b6ff358cdc2463a23.jpg

Hey WTC, I'm thinking to remove the grill on mine as well, though I don't want to go as radical and keep the material behind. I pushed the noseplug through that tiny hole from the back and could loosen it like that. Do you know if that's technically possible for the grill as well? There's the same type of hole, but pushing through hasn't done anything so far. Perhaps you figured out the exact inner working when you worked on this. :)

Nevermind, I got it! :lol I just kept pushing slowly but forcefully and started hearing glue crack under the grill. At some point it popped out.
I want to try my hand at a more accurate mesh (I got the 1/16" wireform contour mesh which is still too large unfortunately), make the grill a bit more deepset on top, and make it flush with the bottom edge - I didn't like that big seam before.
You can also see my first attempt at the nose mod in the picture with milliput. I'll still add a thin layer of sculpey on top to smooth it out.

IMG_0396_small.jpg

Could anyone let me know if the V2 ANH Vader shin guards sit flush against the bottom of the boots like the V1 does? From all I've seen, it doesn't look like they do as good of a job. I've been trying to find this out for about a month now on other Vader threads lol. I really need to know, cause I don't want to spend the high price on eBay for a pair of V2 boots if the guards don't sit as flush.

Could anyone let me know if the V2 ANH Vader shin guards sit flush against the bottom of the boots like the V1 does? From all I've seen, it doesn't look like they do as good of a job. I've been trying to find this out for about a month now on other Vader threads lol. I really need to know, cause I don't want to spend the high price on eBay for a pair of V2 boots if the guards don't sit as flush.

my V2, hope it helps
39948877_270970043513473_6221406792799223808_n.jpg

Does anyone know if the gloved hands of the Rogue One Vader and the Tarkin 2 Pack Vader are identical? Would the match if you had a right glove from one set and a left gloved hand from the other? do they have the same color and finish to them?

I bought the v2 boots on TA for my v1 & they seem exactly the same too me. The boots are a little taller though. I'd take a pic for you, but my v1 boots are back in the HT box. Here is picture from a flickr account that did a great comparion.

v1 on left, RO middle, v2 right :

40164926181_471422fe66_o.jpg

I bought the v2 boots on TA for my v1 & they seem exactly the same too me. The boots are a little taller though. I'd take a pic for you, but my v1 boots are back in the HT box. Here is picture from a flickr account that did a great comparion.

v1 on left, RO middle, v2 right :

View attachment 424947
Thank you so much! lol - those pics saved me about $55. So I was right with the shin guards not sitting flush against the V2 boots (same as the RO ones). V1 boots for the win lol.
It looks like they re-sculpted the V2 shin guards where they're not as contoured as the V1 for whatever reason.
I think I've been coming across as confusing with my question. Not sure if people know what I mean about the shin guards not sitting flush against the boots. You can see (especially at the very bottom of the boot armor), the RO & ANH V2 ones protrude out from the boots. I think the ANH V1 boots look so much better; just need to add some straps.
Since I got the RO chest box, I have four straps (from the V1 chest box) I can use to make the shin guard straps for the boots.
Thanks... I worried if the blacks matched or if one set was glossier than the other
You know, I was pondering that same thing the other day. I have the RO set, but it seemed as if the V2 ones where less glossy. Was kinda making me want to get a set of those. But good to know that they're (probably) the same.

Not sure why people like the RO so much.

Even in that pic, you can see that the RO suit is more licorice-y, and the shin guards are too glossy and don't sit over the foot well. And that's just from the knee down.

Not sure why people like the RO so much.

Even in that pic, you can see that the RO suit is more licorice-y, and the shin guards are too glossy and don't sit over the foot well. And that's just from the knee down.
Well, it's like the whole 'if it's newer, it must be better' idea. ANH (AKA OT) Chewie is a good example of this. But yeah, the RO boots & suit look the worst to me out of any of the HT Vader's.
Since I've never seen the V2 in hand, I don't know if the suit is better. Some people claim that it is because it has a tighter fit; then the opposing side says the V1 suit is better cause it feels/looks more like real leather & seems more durable.

After getting the ESB version, I noticed that my ANH v1 seems really fat(mostly a gut) in comparison. Do people remove the padding there to slim him down a bit?

Back