Hot Toys Darth Vader : tips , tricks and any other mods

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you so much! lol - those pics saved me about $55. So I was right with the shin guards not sitting flush against the V2 boots (same as the RO ones). V1 boots for the win lol.
It looks like they re-sculpted the V2 shin guards where they're not as contoured as the V1 for whatever reason.
I think I've been coming across as confusing with my question. Not sure if people know what I mean about the shin guards not sitting flush against the boots. You can see (especially at the very bottom of the boot armor), the RO & ANH V2 ones protrude out from the boots. I think the ANH V1 boots look so much better; just need to add some straps.
Since I got the RO chest box, I have four straps (from the V1 chest box) I can use to make the shin guard straps for the boots.

You know, I was pondering that same thing the other day. I have the RO set, but it seemed as if the V2 ones where less glossy. Was kinda making me want to get a set of those. But good to know that they're (probably) the same.

Remember the shin armor is only on with velcro. They seem to fit just as well as the ANH v1 shin guards do. You just remove them and re adjust. The picture I posted has them riding a bit higher on the v2 boot than the v1. Now your making me want to take the v1's out of the box and compare them again....:mad:

:lol .. must fight my Vader OCD. That's what made me want them in the 1st place. Knowing there should be straps on his boots .

I wasn't gonna replace them either, but when TA had their 25% off sale I got the last pair they had for $18. And I always keep the original parts.

Here's 2 other pics :

40132281802_8709555ef9_o.jpg

40132282122_77e5ccef3f_o.jpg

Updated my cobbled together ANH Vader with various parts I got off of TA...
20180902_092753_zps4aa2hppu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Mask - ANH V1, with red lense mod, still not brave enough for the nose plug mod

Helmet- glossy R1, lowered slightly

Chest armor- R1 repainted

Body- R1 with padding in legs and midsection. Lower calves from V1 ANH Vader- making him less tall, while keeping the less rigid articulation of the R1

Suit- pants and shirt Sideshow ROTJ v2 (looks the best of the suits) pants were hemmed shorter. V2 Vader vest (or R1 vest) is a close match (sideshow vest way too large)

Gloves- R1/V2

Chest box- V1

Belt- ESB with R1 light boxes

Inner Robe- ESB, most of pleats steamed out. By far the best inner robe option. ANH was too little fabric, R1 was way too much.

Cape- R1

Codpiece- ANH

Boots/ shins- ESB

I'll have to get some better non- phone pics later.

Last edited:
Inner Robe- ESB, most of pleats steamed out. By far the best inner robe option. ANH was too little fabric, R1 was way too much.

Excellent bash! I was really curious about that ESB tunic -- first thing that caught my eye. So the pleats come out with steam?

I'm having a hell of a time with the RO tunic, trying to hide all that excess material. I may just cut the inside seam and pull the material and re-stitch. But ESB looks better. Love to see a picture that better shows what you did with the pleats.

The other thing that drives me nuts is the long, ground-piling capes from both ANH and RO. And the front is way longer than the back -- like he's Batman or something.

I did manage to grab the new hot toys ESB Vader cape to use on my Bash up ESB Vader custom. I would like to get a RO Vader cape but there hard to find.

I wasn't happy with the tunic of the V2 ANH, and didn't want to spend more money on a different one, so I decided to make my own. I used the same fabric that I used on my ROTJ custom (I'm almost out of it now unfortunately), where I had good results.

Here's what it currently looks like. It's not perfectly futzed, although some general roughness and unevenness fits the ANH anyway. The fabric has a nice drape overall, and it's not very bulky. Disregard that bright shoulder armor and the shoulder bells, I still need to darken them up and add weathering.

IMG_0436_3_small.jpg

IMG_0440_2_small.jpg

20180903_140027_zpse3vuvzvl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

A better look at the ESB tunic. There's still a few folds and wrinkles, but I feel it looks closer than the fairly thin original tunic. The material reminds me more of V1 ( a little heavier though) than it does the R1 tunic.

You can also see the V2 Sideshow shirt and pants better in this pic. It's a little looser fitting than the R1 or V2 suit, but not as padded and restricted as the original Hot Toys Vader. It looks the most convincing in this scale to me.

I agree, I hate that both capes ride up in the back, I'll be interested to see the ESB cape when my figure arrives this week.

[/URL][/IMG]

Body- R1 with padding in legs and midsection. Lower calves from V1 ANH Vader- making him less tall, while keeping the less rigid articulation of the R1

Suit- pants and shirt Sideshow ROTJ v2 (looks the best of the suits) pants were hemmed shorter. V2 Vader vest (or R1 vest) is a close match (sideshow vest way too large)

Gloves- R1/V2

Chest box- V1

Cape- R1

Codpiece- ANH

Boots/ shins- ESB

Nice job... looks great!

[/URL][/IMG]

Gloves- R1/V2

Chest box- V1

Cape- R1

Codpiece- ANH

Boots/ shins- ESB

Excellent custom. A lot of hard work always pays off. :goodpost:

Thanks guys!

Also, I forgot to give credit -- I borrowed ZE_501's pose from his ESB Vader. Liked it for ANH's finger-waving at the Princess.

Matrix: yep, that's the RO cape and tunic. I got to say, that damn RO tunic drove me nuts. So poofy. I finally attacked it last night and literally cut the silk backing off and trimmed the excess material by half. Still too much material. :lol But I got it looking satisfactory for me for now.

I also hemmed the RO cape in front so it wasn't folded up on the ground. I crouched Vader a bit so he lines up better with Tarkin, and the cape really piled up without some hemming.

Easy recipe if you have ALL three ANH Vaders:

ANH v1: helmet, body, boots, shin guards, codpiece, belt boxes (weathered + red washers), chest box (weathered), chest armor (weathered)
RO: gloves, tunic (modified at chest), cape (shortened)
ANH v2: 3-piece bodysuit

I bought the last ESB tunic yesterday from TA to see if genghisjohn is right.

Thanks guys!

Also, I forgot to give credit -- I borrowed ZE_501's pose from his ESB Vader. Liked it for ANH's finger-waving at the Princess.

Matrix: yep, that's the RO cape and tunic. I got to say, that damn RO tunic drove me nuts. So poofy. I finally attacked it last night and literally cut the silk backing off and trimmed the excess material by half. Still too much material. :lol But I got it looking satisfactory for me for now.

I also hemmed the RO cape in front so it wasn't folded up on the ground. I crouched Vader a bit so he lines up better with Tarkin, and the cape really piled up without some hemming.

ANH v1: helmet, body, boots, shin guards, codpiece, belt boxes (weathered + red washers), chest box (weathered), chest armor (weathered)

Looks great... Quite the recipe. You forgot to list ANH v1 lightsaber hilt in your formula. :wink1:

Is the V2 body suit ribbing in the legs less poofy? I have the V1 and I hate how thick it is. Would like a sideshow suit, but never see them

Thanks guys!

ah your the one that bought it was getting ready to buy it.

Is the V2 body suit ribbing in the legs less poofy? I have the V1 and I hate how thick it is. Would like a sideshow suit, but never see them

The v2 is less poofy and more tailored. Not tight but fitted. The v1 bodysuit is quite loose. That said, I actually like the poofy ribbing on the v1 because of the way it catches the light. But I wanted a better fitting suit.

Matrix did a good job stitching up his v1 suit to be tighter, if you can sew its quite easy to do.

ah your the one that bought it was getting ready to buy it.

Ouch, sorry man. I had my eye on it for three days. Finally got pissed at the RO tunic and bought. 5 minutes later I saw genghisjohn posted a picture of his bash and I figured I just nabbed it in time.

Back