Hot Toys Darth Vader : tips , tricks and any other mods

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Truth is you don't see much of the suit ...

Vader 3.jpg

Vader + Tarkin 3.jpg

Vader + Tarkin 9.jpg

948ed3725ff93227d3644a4be7408772.jpg

Thought I’d post another ESB-esque photo.

“Come with me...it is the only way”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow, thank you genghisjon.

I'm looking forward to receiving my ESB tunic and seeing if it works better like on your figure. It sure looks better than the RO... I took a knife to mine in aggravation last night. :lol

The v2 is less poofy and more tailored. Not tight but fitted. The v1 bodysuit is quite loose. That said, I actually like the poofy ribbing on the v1 because of the way it catches the light. But I wanted a better fitting suit.

Matrix did a good job stitching up his v1 suit to be tighter, if you can sew its quite easy to do.

I might try to pick one up. And now I want a tarkin to go with my ANH vader. I really shouldn't have passed >_<

Thanks! No, my ESB Vader AND Fett arrive Thursday... can't wait!!! Part of the reason I needed to get this ANH version done after so very long.

I look forward to seeing what you think of Vader and Fett. I think I will get Fett after the move to the new house. All the pics I am seeing look great and the only Fett I have is the Sideshow white prototype. You and many others have done great work on customs and posing on this site. It always give me some inspiration and I like to see others collections.

I will definitely be a little overwhelmed on Thursday... Vader AND Fett. Might take me some time to get to serious mods and fixes. Sometimes I like to enjoy them as they came for a while.

No doubt.. The Vader is awesome to me as is. I am not as ocd as some others and the only thing I did to anh Vader was get the Rogue One Gloves and the light up saber arm from the Tarkin set. Fett is a character I like but I am not a huge enough fan to see the inaccuracies. I like his look enough to leave him stock. Empire Vader might get a tweak from me if I see something to make him better. He is awesome stock.

Nevermind, I got it! :lol I just kept pushing slowly but forcefully and started hearing glue crack under the grill. At some point it popped out.
I want to try my hand at a more accurate mesh (I got the 1/16" wireform contour mesh which is still too large unfortunately), make the grill a bit more deepset on top, and make it flush with the bottom edge - I didn't like that big seam before.
You can also see my first attempt at the nose mod in the picture with milliput. I'll still add a thin layer of sculpey on top to smooth it out.

View attachment 424808

Awesome!

I didn’t think it was removable. Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much! lol - those pics saved me about $55. So I was right with the shin guards not sitting flush against the V2 boots (same as the RO ones). V1 boots for the win lol.
It looks like they re-sculpted the V2 shin guards where they're not as contoured as the V1 for whatever reason.
I think I've been coming across as confusing with my question. Not sure if people know what I mean about the shin guards not sitting flush against the boots. You can see (especially at the very bottom of the boot armor), the RO & ANH V2 ones protrude out from the boots. I think the ANH V1 boots look so much better; just need to add some straps.
Since I got the RO chest box, I have four straps (from the V1 chest box) I can use to make the shin guard straps for the boots.

You know, I was pondering that same thing the other day. I have the RO set, but it seemed as if the V2 ones where less glossy. Was kinda making me want to get a set of those. But good to know that they're (probably) the same.

The R1 shin guards are not accurate for an ANH Vader. The R1 shin guards feature Disney’s sneaky little “insurance” move where they have subtly altered the appearance with that bulged out portion at the bottom of the shin guard, that only exists in R1. The ANH and ANH V2 are much more accurate, they just need a clear gloss coat, with some minimal weathering they are nearly perfect.

The boots are a bigger problem, none of the Hot Toy versions have been correct yet. There’s a bump toe on the screen used boots, but not as much as we see in the Hot Toys R1 boots, but there’s more of a bump than either ANH versions. Both ANH versions of the boots have a square toe too, which is wrong, the screen used boots have a round toe.

The straps are also incorrect on the R1 boots. The actual costume straps were nylon, whereas the Hot Toys R1 straps are leather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The R1 shin guards are not accurate for an ANH Vader. The R1 shin guards feature Disney’s sneaky little “insurance” move where they have subtly altered the appearance with that bulged out portion at the bottom of the shin guard, that only exists in R1. The ANH and ANH V2 are much more accurate, they just need a clear gloss coat, with some minimal weathering they are nearly perfect.

The boots are a bigger problem, none of the Hot Toy versions have been correct yet. There’s a bump toe on the screen used boots, but not as much as we see in the Hot Toys R1 boots, but there’s more of a bump than either ANH versions. Both ANH versions of the boots have a square toe too, which is wrong, the screen used boots have a round toe.

The straps are also incorrect on the R1 boots. The actual costume straps were nylon, whereas the Hot Toys R1 straps are leather.
Yeah, I know that the RO shin guards aren't accurate due to their shininess..I can see how my message came across oddly. It was just about someone comparing the look of the V1 & V2 shin guards. The only RO parts I used to upgrade my Vader was the gloves, chest box & belt.

I continue to search for actual screen used Vader boot pics, but no luck. Yeah, they definitely don't have that rounded toe look on the ANH ones. It does seem like the V1 boots are more accurate; despite being a bit more wonky in the lower back area. I don't believe the taller height & extra stitching going up the sides are movie accurate. So I think it'll probably just be best to use the straps off of the V1 chest box and add them to the boots; as opposed to spending $40+ on some V2's.

Not a big deal since you can't see them on the figure when on display, but what always bothers me is how the tunic flares out. I removed the thin useless wire right after I bought it, ironed & water treated it..but it still looks ridiculous. The recent pics from Wor-Gar's ANH Vader look perfect.

Back