Hot Toys Con season - what are you hoping to see?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next one on my list is Death Star Droid. Just picked up Zutton a few weeks ago.
I have a prior release of that same Zutton figure. And I'm a bit meh on Death Star droid without vac-metal paint - anyway shouldn't he really be called ''Sandcrawler droid'' if anything? The one on the Death Star was black. I guess it's a vintage thing. The only reason for me to buy most of the figures they're releasing is for the Vintage tribute packaging and lately I'm wondering why I'd bother doing that when I just put them in a drawer. I don't think I'll ever hang SW figures on a wall again. Plus, if you're collecting for the packaging you have to be sure you're getting it in good condition - which is not always guaranteed.

Last edited:
I try to be a picky collector and not have an overabundance of figures. Yet, I own 4 detolfs with 30 figures. Then all of these revealed. The Mandalorians alone are a tough decision. I need to figure out some things. :lol
Recently I made a list of "To Buy" things. Figures, Omnis/Absolutes, past vidya, and so on. I tried to round it all up, trim the fat, and so on. I still ended up with a list of about 200 characters, excluding different costumes/alt looks, that I'd want to buy. Most of them are hypothetical, and a large chunk of them will never be made in such a format. But still, the thought alone made me kinda sick. I was shopping around for some in-stock stuff the other day. I was going to buy the War Machine Punisher, but then it hit me. All those figures cost me ~300 euros at the very least. 200-220 for a base figure, about 50 for the shipping, then around 60 for the taxes. That's a lot of money. I already had 3 figures on PO, releasing around Q1-Q2 of 2022, although I expect delays. I have a Kylo Ren on the way, and I bought two HTs this year. Yet here I was, ready to buy something else, just because I thought it looked cool. I didn't go through with it, and ended up buying some Absolutes & Omnis, plus POing Bateman for my Birthday. I want a Punisher, and I'll get a proper one, but only if and when they make him in his proper/classic look. I'm not droping half a grand on variant.

And since that day I've trimmed things down even more. I often watch those collection videos to get an idea of how people style their rooms. Sometimes it looks great, sometimes... Usually they have this big room filled from top to bottom, right to left, with comics and statues and figures and it just looks silly. Just shelves with "stuff" on top of them. Nothing stands out, nothing looks as if it "matters". When you have every single Marvel Omnibus, DC Hardcover and whatever else, then what is your "taste" anyhow? At some point I thought it was a case of sour grapes, but that's not it. I see other rooms that look great. A couple of different properties at most, each piece has its own glass case, it's nicely lighted and designed. It looks like a proper collection of someone's pop culture interests. That's something I want to have because it's exactly what it should be. It's better to mix different things like props, figures and whatnot, and be consistent, rather than have an overabundance of literally everything.

What I figure is that, at the end of the day, all these things are too ridiculous to go all-in on. They're dollies and plastic statues of people in spandex. When they clutter together too much it ends up becoming ugly instead of a personal indulgence into your inner kid. That's how I see these collections. They should reflect the various stages up to some point. Some things form your childhood, some from your teen years and so on. They're not important, but for one reason or another we've decided to drop money on expensive memorabilia. And that's alright, people drop such cash on much more idiotic things. But when you go off the deep end, what's the point? I have read, watched and played countless stuff over the years. If I collected it all, I'd never finish. And most importantly, the things I enjoyed greatly and still remember fondly, would be indistinguishable from the things I got just because, out of some sense of completionism or something. And that rubs me off the wrong way. I want each thing to have a story behind it, otherwise why even have it? If I collect the entire Avengers, JL, GotG, X-Men, SKWAD and so on... what's the point? What stands out? If I build the X-Team of my childhood then yeah, it's a centrepiece, it has a story behind. If I have 10 different team displays it's just one more. When you stop having a filter then it becomes just a case of money and that robs something out of a hobby. It's like buying books just to have a big library, regardless of if you read them or not.

The more time goes on the more I feel it's important to have rules and stick to them in this hobby. It has to have a definitive end, aside from the odd buy here and there, elseways you might as well not even get into it. I do wonder how people here handle their collections. Most of the time the collections I see are brand or scale exclusive. IE only Hot Toys or only Statues and so on. And they're mostly focused on getting as much stuff as possible. Me, I've realised that I want to break it all to a couple of sections and make them pop. The things I buy, I want them to be definitive, full stop.

Last edited:
Good post Kostis! I recently went through a purge, we might've talked about this on another thread. I decided what was most important to me, not just what entire line to keep. I found out quickly Ebay was the best way, but Craigslist helped.

Hasbro SW took up a lot of space and it was time for them to go. I sold a bulk of vehicles to one guy and the rest of the EU line/bulk boxes of PT trash. I opened them first to get some enjoyment out of them, but I didn't. The quality of the figures were absolute garbage. Hasbro quality isn't for me and I dumped it all.

Then I purged 95% of my Legos, 550 now down to 3 sets now with 2 loose minifigs. That was like 10 big totes worth. That took some time, but I had them organized.

I then purged the comic collection, like 6 half size comic short boxes with a ton of GNs that I got at Cons. Sold all to one guy for a solid price and kept the legendary ones like Old Man Logan, The Dark Knight, The Long Halloween and my precious Tales of the Jedi comics.

Then I had my SW Miniatures from the WoTC miniatures game. I collected all of them. Loved that game. Some great models. I despise the PT stuff now, so I purged the sets that were PT only and then halved any sets of the other PT/CW stuff. That is like the only place you will find some awesome EU figures, like a Mandalorian Basilisk War Droid! In addition, I slimmed down my Fantasy Flight X-Wing/Armada miniatures to EU and OT only.

I've kept some neat Noble Collection LOTR stuff. I've kept my Gentle Giant EU SW busts (Nihilus, Jade, Revan, Malak, Thrawn) with a Marvel Venom. Added some Sideshow Art Prints. Oh. and I have an Alex Ross Black and White Batman along with a Punisher Classic PF from SS. Statues are just too much nowadays. Know how much I bought that one for? $350. Statue prices are like $600+ and I got out of that game. Sold my SS Cody Legendary Bust and LOTR Witch King.

I realized that I love Hot Toys and Hot Toys is my pure focus right now. Focused on my favorites.

I've learned that things and taste change over time. Being a completist just made it that much more difficult to get rid of. Find your favorites and enjoy those. Those Legos/figures/miniatures in the totes or boxes? I feel like you are really not enjoying what you own if you don't have them on display and have them just sitting in a box. I bought white lack wall shelf units for my minis/busts, detolfs for my Hot Toys. Also have a nice open up dvd organizer to place some HT on as well. Built a good PC out of the Lego money and I've learned less is more.

With the Summer Showcase, the figures that weren't on preorder I wanted more than the ones that were on preorder. Cyborg Spidey my only Marvel want, but DC with only 3 figures, I want all 3. Boba on Throne looks awesome and I might pull the trigger, but him and Crosshair were the only SW. Clearly, SS Con will feature SW like HT SS featured Marvel.

HT confirmed more is coming.
Screenshot_20210716-133806_Facebook.jpg

I REALLY hope they show The Dark Knight Rises Bat Armory they teased with the re release of the Batman figure a few months back.......:pray:

Good post Kostis! I recently went through a purge, we might've talked about this on another thread. I decided what was most important to me, not just what entire line to keep. I found out quickly Ebay was the best way, but Craigslist helped.

Hasbro SW took up a lot of space and it was time for them to go. I sold a bulk of vehicles to one guy and the rest of the EU line/bulk boxes of PT trash. I opened them first to get some enjoyment out of them, but I didn't. The quality of the figures were absolute garbage. Hasbro quality isn't for me and I dumped it all.

Then I purged 95% of my Legos, 550 now down to 3 sets now with 2 loose minifigs. That was like 10 big totes worth. That took some time, but I had them organized.

I then purged the comic collection, like 6 half size comic short boxes with a ton of GNs that I got at Cons. Sold all to one guy for a solid price and kept the legendary ones like Old Man Logan, The Dark Knight, The Long Halloween and my precious Tales of the Jedi comics.

Then I had my SW Miniatures from the WoTC miniatures game. I collected all of them. Loved that game. Some great models. I despise the PT stuff now, so I purged the sets that were PT only and then halved any sets of the other PT/CW stuff. That is like the only place you will find some awesome EU figures, like a Mandalorian Basilisk War Droid! In addition, I slimmed down my Fantasy Flight X-Wing/Armada miniatures to EU and OT only.

I've kept some neat Noble Collection LOTR stuff. I've kept my Gentle Giant EU SW busts (Nihilus, Jade, Revan, Malak, Thrawn) with a Marvel Venom. Added some Sideshow Art Prints. Oh. and I have an Alex Ross Black and White Batman along with a Punisher Classic PF from SS. Statues are just too much nowadays. Know how much I bought that one for? $350. Statue prices are like $600+ and I got out of that game. Sold my SS Cody Legendary Bust and LOTR Witch King.

I realized that I love Hot Toys and Hot Toys is my pure focus right now. Focused on my favorites.

I've learned that things and taste change over time. Being a completist just made it that much more difficult to get rid of. Find your favorites and enjoy those. Those Legos/figures/miniatures in the totes or boxes? I feel like you are really not enjoying what you own if you don't have them on display and have them just sitting in a box. I bought white lack wall shelf units for my minis/busts, detolfs for my Hot Toys. Also have a nice open up dvd organizer to place some HT on as well. Built a good PC out of the Lego money and I've learned less is more.
Thanks man, likewise!

Personally, it's less doing away with what I have, and more trying to control what I get moving forward. In my parts there weren's any LCS and the such, so I never had a proper collection growing up. I collected one line through the internet, and I have quite a few figures, but they're all in a box beyond a couple I'm keeping for display. I've been collecting comics monthly for about a decade now, and apart from the unfinished series that I have no desire to fill the gaps in and will most likely throw away, everything else stays. Stored, but I'll keep some close by, my favourites. I have a complete run of East Of West, and something like that I'll want to display in some way. Now my 100 issues of Deadpool... eh. Lego was always something that I saw in catalogues but no shop carried them. I'd find some old, small, SYSTEM sets, and once in a blue moon some Star Wars stuff around the time of TCW, but beyond that I never had the chance to buy them. At some point I ordered a couple of modulars and other brick heavy sets to build backdrops and sets for my stopmotions (that never happened) but that's where it stopped. Now they're all in boxes sorted by colour, plus the figures and things like Eclipsegrafx and custom figures I bought.

For me, this is a collection that I want to complete at some point. I don't rule out the odd buy, but I need a plan, otherwise where do I stop? Buy the 1/6th? Then the statue? The omnibus? What about the 6"s? The MAFEX/Figma/Revoltech/Whatever? What about those Nendoroids and Egg Attacks and whatnot? If I don't put limits where do I stop? When is enough enough? So I try to sit down every so often and refine those lists. I have a couple of them, depending on the medium, but I always try to trim the fat. One part of it is money and space, they're not infite. Another is the hassle. Trying to keep up with everything, POs, sales, insider news, it's time consuming and tiring. Mostly, it's about having a collection that says something.

See, if I bought everything I've ever liked, for one reason or another, it'd be an extreme hodgepodge of random things that I'd get simply to go "oh, yeah, it's that thing". And to me that doesn't mean much. Completionism is something that plagues me, so oftentimes I find it easier to just drop something completely and pour more resources into something I've already invested in. If I don't like something enough to want multiple things out of it, it goes. If I haven't already invested enough time and money into it, it goes. I've found that it works far better and it leads to a more cohesive collection. I'm not advocating for collecting literally one thing, everyone's free to do what they want. But I find that a bunch of cluttered shelves end up looking rather ugly and ruin what should be a nice view. These are expensive high-end figures, they shouldn't be posed like 6" Hasbro figures.

I don't know, maybe it's just me and I'm trying to rationalise not having to spend 100K on all this. But it's always rubbed me the wrong way to just like it/have it all. I feel that if you don't choose, even something as meaningless as which dollies to collect, you lack that "something". I never got into Marvel/DC Flame Wars for example, but I had to choose between SHIELD and Checkmate. I can't collect both HYDRA and COBRA. I don't like duplicates, I suppose. And that bleeds into everything. The end result of it all has to be a reflection of my tastes over the years. Maybe I don't particularly like something now, but had a period of obsession with it. I'll go the extra mile and drop 300 euros on it if that's the case. If it was a fleeting thing, then it's gone.

When I begun I figured I'd keep it to villains only. But those were few and far between, plus I had too many non-villain favourites. Then it started spiralling out of control (thankfully only in my head and not with impulse buys) so I had to set some boundaries. As it stands, my strategy is this: If it's a comic, and I genuinely like it still, I buy the HCs/Omnis/Absolutes. I then buy a figure to represent it. If it's a movie, the same, but with some physical copy and a figure. If said character is in my Top 10 or so I get them in other lines too. A MAFEX or something. If it's in my Top 3, I hunt down everything I can get my hands on. And that's more or less it. But I want it all to be there for a reason. Sometimes it's nostalgia, others it's genuine enjoyment, but it depends.

I'm rambling again, same old, same old. But I'm still trying to figure it out because I don't want to end up with some garage filled with things that mean nothing. I want a room I can look at and say "yes, this is me". It sounds a tad silly to say it about dollies, but we'd never buy them in the first place if we didn't want to see a part of ourselves be reflected. In this case the childish part. I don't want to look around and see a myriad of overpriced plastic that has no meaning. I want to look around and see the Lucifer Omnis and JonCon figure that represent my edgy teen years, and so on. Some properties I like enough to want to set up a shelf, others I want as one-offs in a glass case and so on. It's a work in progress anyhow, but I have to do it.

I've noticed that when I get bitter about what I have, it is time to mix it up. Move it around, repose it, read it, whatever you have it might be time to do something new with it. Helps with really enjoying what I own.

What I've done to combat toy collecting addiction is move towards money collecting addiction. The two are largely incompatible.

I am still in the hobby though.

I've noticed that when I get bitter about what I have, it is time to mix it up. Move it around, repose it, read it, whatever you have it might be time to do something new with it. Helps with really enjoying what I own.
I used to do that, now I don't really have the time. Honestly, there's few things I buy because I expect to get a lot of enjoyment out of. A lot of it is "closing the chapter", some sort of personal completionism. I like seeing it all come together and paint that picture of a proper collection. I get what you're saying though. I'm just so early in building what I want, that I'm still in the planning stages. I'm looking to see what properties I've engaged the most with, which I want the most figures from, then go from there. Shelves & Cases. Which will occupy a bigger space and so on. There's not one thing I've always been diehard about to dedicate all my collecting to, so my collection will be a hodgepodge. But I intent it to have a couple of "pillars" instead of being truly random. The question is how to categorise it all. Say they make proper 2099 & Beyond movies and there's figures. I want them both, but how do I display them? I don't intend to build a Spider-Man shelf, I want a Raimi-Man for nostalgia and that's more or less it. Batman I might get into more, but still doubtfull. So I don't know if there's a place for them in the Marvel & DC sections. Do I just pose the two of them together? It could work. Do I add them to a planned Sci-Fi shelf next to my Doctors, a Kirk, and whatever else I end up getting? Hypothetically speaking they could go to a Cyberpunk shelf. 2099, Beyond, hypothetical figures of JC Denton, Adam Jensen, Motoko, a Revolutions/Reloaded Neo and so on. Maybe a general 90s/00s shelf? Many options.

It seems silly, but I run these things through multiple scenarios and when I land on my preferred one I go for that. Until it becomes a reality, they stay in their boxes. I can't stand half-finished displays. It's all or nothing. But for me to not lose my mind, these things have to be restrained. I'll never build an Avengers display. Iron Man will probably get his own "mini-corner", same as Batman. Punisher & Moon Knight could go to a "Street Shelf" with Gangsters and the such. It's still too early. I need to see how the MCU tackles the F4 & X-Men, which were always the cornerstone of my Marvel interest if we excuse one-off characters, and go from there. Until DC gets to GL or they make more varied Batman stuff, I'm not in much hurry. Vertigo/WildStorm are my main DC wants. Until then it's picking and choosing from the various licenses all over. Who knows what the future will bring? I never expected an official Patrick Bateman figure to happen, but it's real now.
What I've done to combat toy collecting addiction is move towards money collecting addiction. The two are largely incompatible.

That's a great point, honestly. Personally I try to operate on the assumption of infinite money and space. Which of course couldn't be further from the truth, but it helps me with choosing. If I put limits to myself, then I might feel that I'm missing something. But if I assume I could buy whatever I wanted, then I'm forced to consider the aesthetics and logic of it, instead of going "b-but what if I m-miss it and n-need it l-later?!". So I end up putting actual rules and I follow them better. It's weird, but whatever works, right? If I had other obsessions I figure this wouldn't be of much importance to me, but it's just another reason for me to try and tie things up within the decade and not let it get out of hand. I'd hate to leave it unfinished in case my life gets more hectic in the future. Not to mention that in collecting you can always step up, so I want to be done with my comic book dollies before I get into art some decades down the line.

If I had other obsessions I figure this wouldn't be of much importance to me
I do. I've always (paradoxically and to the amusement/disgust of board members LOL) been a minimalist anyway, but I have other interests and hobbies to give time and money to, so it really puts things like this into perspective for me since I don't have unlimited time, resources or space.
The quality of the figures were absolute garbage. Hasbro quality isn't for me and I dumped it all.
I had some Black Series when the line first came out, purged them fairly quickly, and later tried out one of the improved, contemporary figures -- just not for me. I understand what they are but can't appreciate them for more than 5 or 10 minutes.

I'd call them trash but wouldn't want to hurt the giant mega-corporation's feelings so I will not do anything of the sort.
I've learned that things and taste change over time.
This more so than anything, I've come to accept and enjoy. As far as I'm concerned, nothing is permanent. It's just what I happen to enjoy right now. Other collectors are very different, but that's not me.

I do. I've always (paradoxically and to the amusement/disgust of board members LOL) been a minimalist anyway, but I have other interests and hobbies to give time and money to, so it really puts things like this into perspective for me since I don't have unlimited time, resources or space.
That was a bit of poor woding on my part. I meant mostly in terms of spending money on. I have "obsessions" but they're more about my work/actual life than anything else. I've stopped gaming, aside from finishing some older stuff in my backlog, so no need to upgrade the rig every year or buy consoles or whatnot. I haven't painted WH40K in years. I'm more or less done with my floppie comic collecting, just waiting for HiX-Men to end. I've left photography and stopmotions behind for close to a decade now. So I'm more or less into just 1/6th and grabbing the Omnis/Absolutes and old games to build a nice library of all the pop culture stuff I've liked throughout my life, as far as "wasted money" goes.

I wish I could be a full blown minimalist, but the best I can muster is to be an Esthetic, which makes me dislike cluttered shelves and so by necessity I trim the fat and don't go too overboard. I have an idea of what I want my future library, nerd collection room and so on to look like, and I try to not stray too much from that.

I'm not really hoping for anything, since I'm not expecting anything.

I don't have much interest in the current Marvel Phase 4 stuff, don't like the way the characters and stories are going.....so Hot Toys haven't been a priority for me in a while. I'm still looking forward to getting EG Loki, but he's all I have left on order.

I would be happy to get a revised Avengers Thor (or Thor 1 for that matter), and my grail is and always will be Thor 1 Loki. Those are about it, when it comes to getting me excited, since I'll always love the early stuff.

Marvel is the only HT I collect, and with my low interest in the current MCU, it's hard to get excited about HT right now.

I'm definitely not a minimalist. I have multiple interests/passions and they're on full display in my place. I am organized and not into the 'so cluttered you can't tell what it is' look though, and with my nerd stuff I don't like a "Toy Store" aesthetic. Everything I have that's valuable or breakable is behind glass because of my pets, or up high enough that it's safe. But my walls are pretty covered, either with shelving or artwork or decor.

Last edited:

I always thought I would be priced out of Collecting Hot Toys but it appears the its being "Bored Out" of collecting Hot Toys. I'm not interested in flavour of the month (ie Mandalorian or the latest Marvel/DC movies). I used to love Boba Fett because of his cool helmet and design. Now everytime I see that helmet design I feel like punching someone!! Milk, milk milk and look.......more milk.

I always thought I would be priced out of Collecting Hot Toys but it appears the its being "Bored Out" of collecting Hot Toys. I'm not interested in flavour of the month (ie Mandalorian or the latest Marvel/DC movies). I used to love Boba Fett because of his cool helmet and design. Now everytime I see that helmet design I feel like punching someone!! Milk, milk milk and look.......more milk.
This is quite the Mando overload. You would think all these figures would eat into themselves all being released around the same time. I am more excited about what was teased than what actually went up for preorder. XE suit/Nightwing/King Shark/Zemo and nothing in sight for Cyborg/Lokis. HT wanted to just sell their exclusives and I hope the teases turn into real preorders instead of dead in the "Coming Soon" section.

Very lackluster SDCC imo, I guess the best way to look at is money saved.

It was dissapointing in general. Mezco had their own con and they showed nothing. I was sure Doom would be there, but nope, just another Joker variant, a Spider-Man 2099, bloody FlatTop and a Robin tease. The best thing was the Nosferatu variant. It felt less like a SDCC substitute, and more like a throwaway web-show in the middle of March to promote the leftovers. The good thing is that I save money, which is a plus. But I do want to get the SW stuff out of the way before the X-Men & F4 arrive, so I was gunning for General Kenobi and my usual wants.

Back