Hot Toys Colossus???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's possible that they were willing to pay more for the rights to just Deadpool being that the character is popular and probably will sell well. I assume that's the same reason why they've made multiple Wolverine and Spider-Man (pre MCU) figures but didn't make many other characters from either X-Men or Sony Spider-Man franchises.

They also made wolverine. Can't make any firm conclusions based on one figure.

It's possible that they were willing to pay more for the rights to just Deadpool being that the character is popular and probably will sell well. I assume that's the same reason why they've made multiple Wolverine and Spider-Man (pre MCU) figures but didn't make many other characters from either X-Men or Sony Spider-Man franchises.

Not entirely correct. spiderman is an entirely different licensing issue and does not involve fox. They also did two other spiderman characters, which is the same as Thor has done (new goblin and electro)

With the xmen most of the actors flat out declined to do likeness deals. The only major star that did was Jackman. And his role in first class was to small, and was essentially his origins costume anyway. The three main stars of the new series flat declined.

I find it fascinating that they would decline. Perhaps they feel that certain companies would not do it justice and they want to avoid having a product out there they dislike so much that has their likeness.

From what I know, the only example where this assumption was corroborated was the case of Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique for Diamond Select. Unknown what the exact holdup was on getting Prof. X or Mags figures. Could have simply been a cost-benefit decision by Hot Toys. I don't know that HT even pursued a Magneto figure.

From what I know, the only example where this assumption was corroborated was the case of Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique for Diamond Select. Unknown what the exact holdup was on getting Prof. X or Mags figures. Could have simply been a cost-benefit decision by Hot Toys. I don't know that HT even pursued a Magneto figure.

This isnt limited to hot toys. There are no licensed products with those actors.

Hot toys stated the actor was the hold up on an already approved for production (by the studio) prof X figure. Could it have been that mcavoy asked for a ton of money and they opted to not do it? Sure. But that's not supported by anything. The first class cast over two movies has not had any licensed goods. We know of one case for sure publicly where it's stated one of the three main opted to not grant likeness rights. We know hot toys produced and got approved one of a seperate actor but then where told by the studio all actors needed to give permission and that figure never made it to market. There is no licensed goods with those cast members.

Got my tickets for Thursday night in 70mm IMAX. I know the thought of HT not making him is gonna bug me to death every time I see him onscreen.

I'd kill for a Hot Toys Colossus from the Deadpool movie. They finally got his look right in this one.

This isnt limited to hot toys. There are no licensed products with those actors.

Hot toys stated the actor was the hold up on an already approved for production (by the studio) prof X figure. Could it have been that mcavoy asked for a ton of money and they opted to not do it? Sure. But that's not supported by anything. The first class cast over two movies has not had any licensed goods. We know of one case for sure publicly where it's stated one of the three main opted to not grant likeness rights. We know hot toys produced and got approved one of a seperate actor but then where told by the studio all actors needed to give permission and that figure never made it to market. There is no licensed goods with those cast members.

They have some licensed toys. Minimates! No noses means they can make anyone without likeness. :wink1: Didn't Fox have a role to play in the likeness rights ordeal as well?

Fox played a role in that they didn't aquire the actor eighths up front. Which is what is usually done. Those rights are included, usually, in the actors compensation package and contract when they sign on to the film (like hemsworth had to do for marvel and Henry and Ben did for WB) but fox did not include it. But outside of that they had no other role.

So anyone that wanted to make licensed goods for DOFP or first class had to secure rights from Marvel, from Fox and then from each individual they wanted to use. As opposed to say the Avengers where a company only needed to get the rights from Marvel. (Approvals and other things may be more complicated but that's after a deal is struck. The xmen stuff didn't even get to that point Becuase they didn't get 1/3 of the rights required(the actors))

I'm slightly confused, but do the likeness issues really apply here? It sounds like they basically just hired a stuntman to do motion capture and then a separate voice actor. The guy they had doing motion capture doesn't look anything like the finished product.

our-first-look-at-colossus-on-the-deadpool-set-355168.jpg

deadpool-01-9999-colossus-056x1b-02.jpg

It all depends on how the contracts are written. But either way the figure has licensing rights attatched. Drax has no actor hold up but is still held up by issues to do with licensing and QC.

This character has thus far had 3 or 4 actors hired. One was replaced. Then they have a stunt man, a voice actor, and an actor hired specific for facial acting. You can't tell from a side view of that actor is the basis for his face or not.

The purpose of likeness rights is so a person can be compensated for work. How close it looks like him isn't the issue. I've said it many times that likeness and licensing rights are insanely complicated.

Bottom line-if they make a figure of this character is still will have licensing and likeness rights issues that could complicate the process. The only thing that could change is who those are that make the calls, and how many of them there are. The statements made that this "doesn't" or doesn't seem to have actor likeness rights issues, and that somehow means this figure is free from licensing issues is just not true. The actors likeness rights are only a small part of the equation.

Drax is a good example. The actor is not the reason the figure has not come out. Only one entity holds the rights. Marvel. Same for Thor 1 Loki. In contrast xmen first class Prof X was approved by the studio (fox) and the actor flat declined to sign rights. Each film has its own unique licensing deals. There is no overall license for marvel (movies are all I'm addressing, as comics are seperate).

Back