Hot Toys Bespin Han speculation thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Jerry Macaluso this is the case. Jerry was the creator/owner of SOTA toys and more recently Pop Culture Shock. He has other artists and company friends in the industry and according to the reports its 100% Ford as he is extremely difficult to work with. And the contract changed with the Disney buy out. He has control of approval now.

So if that is true I wouldn't be holding my breath for any OT Han/Ford merch any time soon.

Indy stuff maybe as he seems to enjoy that role more than Solo. But that's also a who knows.

It's why, like Dr.WeaponX I went full custom route for my Bespin Han. I'm not getting any younger here either. Tired of waiting around for HT to maybe make him.
At this point, F Ford. He has never shown Star Wars fans an ounce of respect, even though nobody would know who he is, if not for Star Wars. At least hamill is cool to fans. I’ve met him twice and he is awesome. Maybe the problem isn’t that ford won’t approve merchandise, maybe he charges too much for the likeness. Howard can make 70 troopers and probably make more of a profit without having to pay for the likeness. The real question is, why no c3po?

According to Jerry Macaluso this is the case. Jerry was the creator/owner of SOTA toys and more recently Pop Culture Shock. He has other artists and company friends in the industry and according to the reports its 100% Ford as he is extremely difficult to work with. And the contract changed with the Disney buy out. He has control of approval now.

So if that is true I wouldn't be holding my breath for any OT Han/Ford merch any time soon.

Indy stuff maybe as he seems to enjoy that role more than Solo. But that's also a who knows.

It's why, like Dr.WeaponX I went full custom route for my Bespin Han. I'm not getting any younger here either. Tired of waiting around for HT to maybe make him.
I'd well believe it...times are a changing with A-List movie stars and sports stars now having complete control over their image rights. Yesteryears contracts mean diddly-squat...

Seems like more and more talk has been building up in recent years about what a jerk Ford has become. Doesn’t sound like he used to be that way either. What can you do.

Well, I guess "I'm a close personal friend of Jerry Macaluso, and he has friends that told me that Ford is a pain" is slightly more believable than "Justin from YouTube has a source that said ..."

That still all hinges on the idea that the contract changed ... which makes no sense, because why would Disney intentionally limit their ability to license Han Solo? This is the company that is willing to screw over Scarlett Johannsson in the court of public opinion, and screw over all the authors of Star Wars novels for the past 30 years. Why would they willingly craft a new contract that gives up their rights to licensing? I'd believe that licensing the new movies is different than the old movies, but nothing involving the OT changed. That just doesn't pass the sniff test.

Ford may well be a pain in the ass ... but that still wouldn't affect the fact that he doesn't have approval rights for OT merch.

People are trying to backwards logic themselves into explaining why there's no Bespin Solo. They're coming up with reasons to explain why there's no Hot Toys figure, but those reasons don't support other realities. If Ford is a pain and not approving things, why is there an Old Deckard figure from NECA? Why are there Hasbro figures? Why is there a SSC Premium Format?

There are more reasonable explanations that could be a combination of factors specific to Hot Toys, that don't affect other companies

A) Hot Toys isn't happy with the Ford sculpts they've created
B) scheduling issues/timetables (a Bespin Solo will sell anytime, while a Kuiil will not sell in 3 years)
C) OT Star Wars isn't as popular in China, and despite it being Howard Chan's favorite, he can't always make his favorites if they don't sell.

Well, I guess "I'm a close personal friend of Jerry Macaluso, and he has friends that told me that Ford is a pain" is slightly more believable than "Justin from YouTube has a source that said ..."

That still all hinges on the idea that the contract changed ... which makes no sense, because why would Disney intentionally limit their ability to license Han Solo? This is the company that is willing to screw over Scarlett Johannsson in the court of public opinion, and screw over all the authors of Star Wars novels for the past 30 years. Why would they willingly craft a new contract that gives up their rights to licensing? I'd believe that licensing the new movies is different than the old movies, but nothing involving the OT changed. That just doesn't pass the sniff test.

Ford may well be a pain in the ass ... but that still wouldn't affect the fact that he doesn't have approval rights for OT merch.

People are trying to backwards logic themselves into explaining why there's no Bespin Solo. They're coming up with reasons to explain why there's no Hot Toys figure, but those reasons don't support other realities. If Ford is a pain and not approving things, why is there an Old Deckard figure from NECA? Why are there Hasbro figures? Why is there a SSC Premium Format?

There are more reasonable explanations that could be a combination of factors specific to Hot Toys, that don't affect other companies

B) scheduling issues/timetables (a Bespin Solo will sell anytime, while a Kuiil will not sell in 3 years)
C) OT Star Wars isn't as popular in China, and despite it being Howard Chan's favorite, he can't always make his favorites if they don't sell.
Where is our Bespin Han to go with Bespin Leia/Lando/Vader/Fett? I guess that will sell anytime.
Where is our Endor Han to go with Endor Leia/Luke? I guess that will sell anytime too.

Don't worry about after market prices when you want them all together.

It is well documented that Ford is an ass to deal with. He broke the leg on a Hot Toys figure on live tv, I wouldn't be surprised that it angered Howard. He had to make the TFA version and tossed a sculpt out there with a ST body.

We would have gotten the ST in the 90's if it wasn't for Ford. He can't stand SW. He got a huge payout for TFA. Ford had leverage cause that he was going to be the main reason most people went to see TFA. There is no coincidence that we have gotten a number of Luke and Leia figures and nothing from Han. Every sculpt gets trashed on FB and here, but you know plenty will be buying a Han.

Fight it all you want, there are Leias/Lukes but no Hans here lately.

Maybe he just don't like HT...

6d9f16a9acf27fb73476e9832d2e2ea5.gif

I would've liked an Endor Han with the duster. Many just wanted Bespin Han cause he was teased with Bespin Leia. Just goes to show that you shouldn't count on HT to complete that line or complimentary figures with the one you are buying now. Cyborg was a miracle.

Really wish there was a Bespin Han. Just moved into a place where I have more room to display figures. Set up a bunch of my figures from ESB, and Han is a glaring missing piece.

I suppose for now I’ll put the ANH version in his place…that or I’ll get the Han in Carbonite from Sideshow I suppose.

Watching Ford interviews and the way he talks about Star Wars it's hard to be surprised by these rumours. Obviously it's his right to behave how he want's but I'll never really understand why people like him are so cold towards franchises that gave them so much.

Honestly, I love the guy to bits but I’ve never seen a veteran actor less grateful for their career. Lucas and Spielberg handed his career, which he’s made millions of dollars from, to him on a plate, he could be a little more appreciative. Just watch this video and you can see it’s not limited to Star Wars, he sounds disinterested in most of the films he’s made. I imagine he’s a lovely funny guy when not talking about his “job”.

Part of me is tempted to just go the GeeWhiz Customs route. I would be okay just using one of my ANH sculpts as long as I had the outfit. The only other thing I’d have to track down is the belt.

Because that contact was with Lucasfilm. Whenever there's a buyout those types of contacts need to get renegotiated. It's all legal mumbo jumbo that we never see behind closed doors. Hamill and Fisher both signed it away again they didn't care. Ford on the other hand obviously did. Or Is playing hardball who knows. As much as he hates SW I'm sure he or his rep are ignoring calls or wants more money than HT is wanting or willing to dish out.

As for Chan not happy with the sculpts, he seemed to not care with all the other OT and Indy sculpts that have been half assed over the years so I don't think he's just holding off because of that. Blade Runner isn't SW and he may have had to sign off on that when he agreed to the new film. Again more legal crap we have no clue over. As for Hasbro, do those even need likeness approval? Because they hardly ever look like the actors to begin with 😆

🤷🏼‍♂️ Anyways the word from an industry insider is better than anything we won't be getting from HT or Ford on the matter hence why I said **** it and went custom. I got tired of waiting.

If HT does do another OT Han it'll be a too little too late at this point for me 😆

EDIT: The renegotiating is the legal route nothing Disney can do about that. And yeah Im sure they aren't happy about it either but they weren't going to throw a (what was it 4 billion ?) Franchise out the window because one crappy old man wasn't going to play nice.

Star wars is bigger than Han Harrison Ford Solo

Bath salts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back