Hot Toys Bespin Han speculation thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is probably not a great theory, but I also think it’s possible that Harrison Ford is a very difficult face to sculpt, especially from ESB. Yes, the Inigo sculpt is good - but so much of that is very precise paintwork. I’ve seen versions of that sculpt that are painted by excellent, top tier artists and it still doesn’t quite look right.

I love my ANH Jnix and it’s leagues above the factory, but it isn’t perfect per se. The smirking Solo from the stormtrooper release is fine, but it’s a cartoonish sculpt and imho, not accurate either. I think he just has one of those faces that is remarkably difficult to capture because it looks so different based on the tilt or angle of a given shot.

Me either. Howard is a Star Wars fan and knows what he's doing. As if they would let Sideshow have any sway.

I certainly wouldn't !
Also, why would he be pissed at Hot Toys releasing a Mando Luke, a totally different figure from the ROTJ version. Didn’t Hot Toys release a ROTJ deluxe Luke only months after the SS one was released? If they were going to be pissed off then surely they would’ve been more pissed off about that.

It could also be that the apparent lack of interest in other ESB figures like Bespin Leia and Lando have caused them to hold back for now on other OT releases.
Possibly, but it’s also their fault. If they put up han or even esb chewie with lando, the sales would be better for everyone. I have a friend that collects casually (don’t know how he does it) but he didn’t order lando because of no han. Same thing happened with chirrut. If they released companion figures (similar to dooku and yoda) it may increase sales all around. Or it could have no effect, what do I know?

It could also be that the apparent lack of interest in other ESB figures like Bespin Leia and Lando have caused them to hold back for now on other OT releases.
The relative lack of interest came because they were largely vanilla figures with few accessories. Part of that is the movie, but certainly no collector is going to be upset that their Bespin Leia came with something extra.

Bespin Han would sell, especially if you included the welding goggles, tools, and mask. In true sideshow/HT spirit, the exclusive nets you a mynock and overcoat. I’m sorry, there’s just no way that wouldn’t be one of the most talked about figures in their history.

The relative lack of interest came because they were largely vanilla figures with few accessories. Part of that is the movie, but certainly no collector is going to be upset that their Bespin Leia came with something extra.

Bespin Han would sell, especially if you included the welding goggles, tools, and mask. In true sideshow/HT spirit, the exclusive nets you a mynock and overcoat. I’m sorry, there’s just no way that wouldn’t be one of the most talked about figures in their history.
It already is and hasn't even been made yet!

Then it would cost more and they would get trashed for that. Tough decisions in a competitive and small margin for failure industry. I think Howard makes the right business decisions, while not perfect, is really expanding with new stores while Marvel and Iron Man/Spidey specifically drive that bus for him.

Also, why would he be pissed at Hot Toys releasing a Mando Luke, a totally different figure from the ROTJ version. Didn’t Hot Toys release a ROTJ deluxe Luke only months after the SS one was released? If they were going to be pissed off then surely they would’ve been more pissed off about that.

Sideshow put their Jedi Luke up for PO after Hot Toys did their's. I remember it being a total shock at the time that they'd directly compete against Hot Toys.

Then it would cost more and they would get trashed for that. Tough decisions in a competitive and small margin for failure industry. I think Howard makes the right business decisions, while not perfect, is really expanding with new stores while Marvel and Iron Man/Spidey specifically drive that bus for him.
Yeah and I think he knows his people can’t sculpt a proper Ford head.

I honestly think they cant get the rights from Ford.
We will have to wait till he is dead and his relatives need cash.
Isn't Han Solo's likeness the property of Disney, not Harrison Ford? Especially for an OT figure. They might consult with Ford on likeness, but I wouldn't think he has the final say on whether they produce a Bespin Solo or not.

So many cool SW figures and sets Hot Toys could be doing (Jabba, all the Jabba's Palace characters, C-3PO) instead of releasing their billionth Iron Man variant. I know Iron Man sells, but jeez! And give us a Batman Returns Penguin too!

Thought you all may get a kick out of this. Yes, the glaring C3PO omission kills me too..

AD25DE39-F433-4A3D-A3C9-ABDE2A1E5D02.jpeg

A19B1EF2-1B50-46BA-830D-48DA32D64D7B.jpeg

7F52D3D6-B5F7-44E2-846E-24D261D32F14.jpeg

Justin from Justin's Collectibles said on his stream this week that his "source" in HK said this was Sideshow calling the shots on SW figures since their main market is the U.S. and they make sixth scale figures. Of course you can put 2+2 together and assume something like that. They do have a 3PO on PO, but doesn't explain a Padme nor a Han. He also mentioned that SS was mad about HT making a Mando Luke when they have a ROTJ Luke available now. Feels like a round hole for a square peg, but no one to confirm or deny such speculation.

People are saying "Oh, well it's a new contract under Disney, so there's new rules" ... but there's zero evidence of that.
According to Jerry Macaluso this is the case. Jerry was the creator/owner of SOTA toys and more recently Pop Culture Shock. He has other artists and company friends in the industry and according to the reports its 100% Ford as he is extremely difficult to work with. And the contract changed with the Disney buy out. He has control of approval now.

So if that is true I wouldn't be holding my breath for any OT Han/Ford merch any time soon.

Indy stuff maybe as he seems to enjoy that role more than Solo. But that's also a who knows.

It's why, like Dr.WeaponX I went full custom route for my Bespin Han. I'm not getting any younger here either. Tired of waiting around for HT to maybe make him.

According to Jerry Macaluso this is the case. Jerry was the creator/owner of SOTA toys and more recently Pop Culture Shock. He has other artists and company friends in the industry and according to the reports its 100% Ford as he is extremely difficult to work with. And the contract changed with the Disney buy out. He has control of approval now.

So if that is true I wouldn't be holding my breath for any OT Han/Ford merch any time soon.

Indy stuff maybe as he seems to enjoy that role more than Solo. But that's also a who knows.

It's why, like Dr.WeaponX I went full custom route for my Bespin Han. I'm not getting any younger here either. Tired of waiting around for HT to maybe make him.
Writings on the wall. Pretty clear if you want a Han at this point, time to quit holding out and go the custom route. Just is what it is. I don't even want a Han cause of Ford's attitude anyway. I'll stick with Luke Skywalker/R2/Fett. Unfortunately, it seems like HT will only make a Chewy to go along with a Han. So double whammy there.

What reports? Is there a link? Is this something on YouTube?

You'll never get an official statement on the legalities behinds the scenes. Just know industry people talk. And I've known Jerry going on 20 years. I'll take his word for it.

I'm not looking for an official statement, but if you're saying you've read that friends of Jerry Macaluso said 'such and such', I want to read what you read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back