Hot toys Batman Begins Toyfair exclusive Damage Report!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Burton and Nolan Gotham Cities suck batdick.

Where da neon lights, black light and giant man statues at?

Bores the hell out of me. It made an abstraction of Gotham; the detail has been gutted. It doesn't even seem like people live there.

How you can find Furst's designs boring is beyond me. His concept drawings are something to behold. I love his idea of a city that never tears buildings down. It just constantly builds upon itself. It's brilliant.

His comic book designs for Gotham were equally impressive, and added great touches to the feel of the city, from Wayne Tower to GCPD headquarters.

As a kid, all I wanted to do was live in Gotham. I knew the risks, but I was still willing to take them...

I'm not criticizing the man as an artist. I'm criticizing how Gotham looked to me in Burton's film. When I read a comic book, the cities do not seem fake.

When I watch '89 batman, they do. :dunno

I'm not criticizing the man as an artist. I'm criticizing how Gotham looked to me in Burton's film. When I read a comic book, the cities do not seem fake.

When I watch '89 batman, they do. :dunno

Could be the execution of Furst's designs you have an issue with then, due to the limited technology of the time. Although to me, I still love the way the movie looks.

Did he do the sets for Madonna's Vogue video? Because that's what his Gotham looks like to me.

:lol

I watched the video and it's not even close.

Why are we talking about Batman '89 in the Batman Begins Damage report thread anyway?

I really just hope this isn't repeated for the 1989 Batman next year...

Screw the '89, it better not happen for the TDKR versions :lecture

:lol

Oh.

Always gotta have these petty horse____ arguments about which Batman is "da bestest". Oddly enough, I always felt Begins and '89 had the right atmosphere for their particular Gothams. They're arguably the best compared to the garish, neon crap from Schumacher and boring old Chicago. The gritty, claustrophobic Furst '89 Gotham is fantastic and how could anyone hate on the depressing, corrupted rainy Narrows from Batman Begins?

But there can only be one. I'm pretty sure the best Gotham will be in TDKR, because, well, it's ____ing Pittsburgh. :nana:

Yeah, I like how a lot of the costumes, sets, etc. in '89 Batman look like they could be from a 40's noir film yet there are contemporary and hi-tech elements as well.

Sure, some of the 1940's styles are cool but it still screams "80's camp" much louder than "timeless noir" or "timeless hero story," etc. Its like they added a cape and a car to Michael Jackson's "Smooth Criminal" video and called it a superhero movie.

I mean its still pretty cool, especially since we can remember the initial phenomenon surrounding it, but I certainly wouldn't calling it a particular engaging film in this day and age. I'm not saying that's terrible, because I do find myself occassionally in the mood for a throwback movie that doesn't measure up to today's standards, but with superior Batman movies now available and superior "throwback" superhero movies from Marvel (Captain America, X:FC) 89 Batman's shortcomings are just a little more pronounced IMO.

The discussion reminds me of this video,

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDKkeOdEyT8"]Battle of Batmans - YouTube[/ame]

I don't think the tone of '89 Batman is dated at all. The look/scope, probably, but not the tone which I find a nice balance between dark, fantastical, and fun/goofy. You know, kinda like a comic book.

In that film Burton manages to capture some moments that are quintessential Bob Kane Batman, which is timeless like Superman.

By comparison, Batman Returns is all around dated. It's now really just another 90's Tim Burton movie much more than a Batman movie.
:exactly:

Completely disagree. Burton's Batman has a timelessness to it because he didn't stamp it with any firm timestamp. While some of the styles are arguably 80's, the only thing that really dates it is the Prince soundtrack. If you look at the wardrobes, the cars, the buildings, etc., it's timeless.

Donner's Superman, on the other hand, is strictly 70's, from wardrobes, to sets, etc.
:exactly::goodpost: This is a big reason I love 89 so much. Definitely timeless and I always thought so, even when I was a kid. But I love Nolans Batman too, am I the only one thats love's them both and think they are equally important when it comes to the mythos of Batman.

Back