Hot Toys - Batman 1989 - Michael Keaton

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Hot Toys Batman 1989 NON-JOKER Discussion Thread

The picture on the left is my ideal look to the '89 cowl, there's a nice curve from his face to the top of the ear moving slightly inward, but because of the quality of the mask, sometimes the ears would be more straight up or even point outward slightly, and I just think it looks ugly, the curved look seems more like he's a bat creature, the straight look has more of a mask feel to it for me. One of the things I like about the Nolan Batman maskes is that from a front view, the outside follows a similar curve.

89BAT.jpg

Later batsuits stuck with the straight up and out look and it just doesn't work for me.

BatmanGeorgeClooney.jpg

I never noticed that before. I always thought it was like the picture on the right. I think either way is fine but that Clooney suit is too far the other way.

batmanbalesmall.jpg

The Begins suit is far too round for my liking. If HT did that level of curvature on the 89 suit it'd ruin it. It's not so bad in the film but that photo almost looks like the ears are caving inwards.

Edit: the photo on the right shows way too much of Keatons eyes. It looks like he has PERS. Doesn't help the shape of the ears at all and looks silly.

Anyone else ever find themselves thinking - 'huh...George Clooney played Batman at one point...weird'?

Anyone else ever find themselves thinking - 'huh...George Clooney played Batman at one point...weird'?

In a more serious film, I think Clooney could make for a decent Batman, though more so a good Bruce Wayne, but B&R was so rediculous, I gotta figure it sounded better on paper for him to sign up, it's not like he's desperate for roles.

In a more serious film, I think Clooney could make for a decent Batman, though more so a good Bruce Wayne, but B&R was so rediculous, I gotta figure it sounded better on paper for him to sign up, it's not like he's desperate for roles.

:lecture:lecture:lecture With a different director, he would've been a considerably better Batman.

I detest how he waggles his head even with the cowl on. That bow he does drives me nuts in everything he does. It worked well for From Dusk Till Dawn.

I detest how he waggles his head even with the cowl on. That bow he does drives me nuts in everything he does. It worked well for From Dusk Till Dawn.

I think it worked better than Val trying to be big sexy Bats with his continually annoying puckered lips. :dunno

So nasty.... just so ____ing nasty. Never ceases to be disturbing.

I think that video may be too disturbing to some of the children we have here on this board. You have damaged their brains and burned that phase into their minds forever.

You will never hear "squeal like a pig" or "purdy lips" the same way again. Ever.

Now... squeal like a Bat!

Last edited:

I think it worked better than Val trying to be big sexy Bats with his continually annoying puckered lips. :dunno

Ive always said that the perfect guy to play Bruce Wayne & Batman has still yet to grace the role. IMO the actors who have portrayed him so far have done one part better than the other. either they made a perfect Bruce Wayne but didnt give off a great Batman performance or gave off a great Batman performance and their Wayne lacked in areas.

Ive always thought if actor & martial artist Michael Jai White were white :lol, (or if a creative writer just wanted Bruce Wayne/Batman to have a ethnic background), he would make for the PERFECT Bruce Wayne/Batman combo. He would be excellent to play a charming, charismatic, millionaire bachelor while also possessing the physical appearance to make a killer Batman.

Yep, yep I think this guy would be a perfect fit...

Michael%20Jai%20White2.jpg
michael-jai-white-1-sized.jpg

erpue45ik0sbi50u.jpg
52954_200902191930311.thumb.jpg

how-to-get-a-body-like-michael-jai-white.jpg

I don't really think he's that great an actor. He is not even that good as gamble. His level is like spawn, or jaks in mortal kombat.

But I do agree with your points on what would make for a good batman.

I do think, however, that we have had two actors that were good at BOTH batman and bruce.

Keaton. (in 89)
He chose to play bruce wayne as a sort of silly, kind of crawling in his skin because he doesn't know what to do with himself kinda guy. This worked really well for me, as its a bit of comic relief, and you get a sense that this guy really is just batman..and is waiting for it get out. Mentally he is batman; that's what he identifies himself as. We all know keaton is comfortable in a comedic role, but the depth of confidence and seriousness he was able to capture from the transition from bruce to batman is really something. He really is batman. I recently caught him escaping the museum on tv...and it always impresses me how friggin slick he is.

Bale.
He captures the billionaire bruce wayne role very well. he's almost having fun with it in begins, but by the dark knight he is growing uncomfortable with playing games with it. I love when he throws the champagne off the roof. It's like the same way the joker, soon after, throws it down and drinks it in a mocking matter..bruce is doing the same in private.
And as for his batman, seeing BB in 2005 it brought me back to the ass kicking days of keaton. When he whispers "here" or when he interrogates flassk. That's batman to me. Confident and in control

I think unfortunately, his downfall was the voice in TDK. Think about all the scenes he's in without the screaming voice.. hong kong, the drug deal at the beginning, even the club scene. That's still batman taking care of business like he never has before. My take is that he was insanely stressed out on top of the fact that he wasn't in the correct conditions to sound/appear like that. A huge dude dressed like a bat sneaking up, screaming, and interrogating you in a dark alley is scary. It's a little ridiculous in a well lit police station .

I think batman should be a little more calm, even when pushed to the limit. I don't think we saw enough of this before the screaming..It apparently didn't take much out of the joker to get him to hysterics. It doesn't really bother me though, as the initial shock is gone. I just sort of accept it as part of his interpretation. I look forward to seeing a major improvement in rises. I think he will really nail batman/bruce in this one.

When I think of batman speaking though, I think of his internal monologue. I always thought narration would be a good way of capturing this.

Last edited:

.....and where, and where?..... Is The Batman?....

He's at home, washing his tights.

Doesn't look like the '89 Batman is part of the Hot Toys set up at Ani-Con.

It's just '89 Joker, Begins Batman, Superman and Sucker Punch crap.

284799_255875067756593_100000023044991_1131137_455403_n.jpg

Makes me wonder, the Con opens officially friday 29th at 10 am right? (so says their website)

So from what are those picture? those are for VIP's or something that are allowed to get in a day earlier?
If thats true, than maybe they save '89 Batman for the general public?

+ at the moment of this post its 21.52 local time in Hong Kong, so its too soon to conclude that based on only 1 picture and 1 day before the Con opens for the general public, isn't it?

Doesn't look like the '89 Batman is part of the Hot Toys set up at Ani-Con.

It's just '89 Joker, Begins Batman, Superman and Sucker Punch crap.

284799_255875067756593_100000023044991_1131137_455403_n.jpg

I know it's still a day before it officially opens, but that's really the only case Hot Toys will have this convention? I mean, that's not really a lot.

Ive always said that the perfect guy to play Bruce Wayne & Batman has still yet to grace the role. IMO the actors who have portrayed him so far have done one part better than the other. either they made a perfect Bruce Wayne but didnt give off a great Batman performance or gave off a great Batman performance and their Wayne lacked in areas.

Ive always thought if actor & martial artist Michael Jai White were white :lol, (or if a creative writer just wanted Bruce Wayne/Batman to have a ethnic background), he would make for the PERFECT Bruce Wayne/Batman combo. He would be excellent to play a charming, charismatic, millionaire bachelor while also possessing the physical appearance to make a killer Batman.

Yep, yep I think this guy would be a perfect fit...

Michael%20Jai%20White2.jpg
michael-jai-white-1-sized.jpg

erpue45ik0sbi50u.jpg
52954_200902191930311.thumb.jpg

how-to-get-a-body-like-michael-jai-white.jpg

I could see that if they went a reboot route and simply cast the best actor possible regardless of race. That could work. He has a good size body of work but isn't overly famous that it kills the immersion of seeing him as Batman. Interesting choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back