1/6 Hot Toys Avengers: Endgame - Iron Man

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that award still goes to the Mark 3...undersized, bad articulation, incorrect details. I haven't got this 85 yet though.

Yeah, the mark 3 has it's issues. But years later and after solid releases like the 46/47 and mark 7 I just see a lot more on the 85. The overall shape of the figure is way off. A museum pose should be the easiest thing to pull off but even the most boring pose looks really awkward.

I agree they're far from perfect and have issues. The mark 85 is probably the weakest die-cast iron man figure. Strange for HT's bestseller, but they probably thought we'll buy it nonetheless due to the character's popularity. I still feel we deserved a better figure especially since this is Tony's last armor.
I find they've been more critical since we've been catching on to their promotion deals, can't make it too obvious lol. Obviously they're not promoting for nothing, maybe they don't get them free(all the time lol) but heavily discounted for sure.

I only have 3 at this point; 7, 47 & 85. But I have to agree that 85 is the weakest of those for me. I love the design from a coloration standpoint but in hand it feels less solid. I have a hard time articulating why. It just didnt wow me like when I unboxed the others.

20210220_124102.jpg

And we know it'll be reiterating most of the facts.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Guys, you'll be pleased to learn I have received the Mk. 85!!!

I probably won't be able to unbox it until later this evening...but my glowing review will be coming shortly...

I know you guys can't wait!

tenor.gif

Glowing as in you're going to go full nuclear when you see that sculpt. :lol

p.s. - My Mk 85 is out for delivery, so I should be able to join the negative chorus tonight as well!

After thinking this was going to be delayed until later this year, I was surprised to have to received the 85 sooner than later! This will likely be my last Iron Man, unless HT releases another version of the MK1. Just need Endgame versions of Cap, Thor, and Hulk now to feel like my Marvel collection has come full circle.0B6C7947-91B7-41E6-AB5C-E398842393AB.jpg

I just gave the included head sculpt a quick inspection, and it’s not as bad as I was expecting. I’d score it a 7 out of 10. The hair is painted too bronzey in my opinion. If the replacement head is just going to be the exact one from the MK50 (which I already have), then I’ll most likely hold onto this one.

Alrighty, so the moment y'all have been either dreading or waiting for! G$'s thoughts on this figure!:lol

tenor.gif

Just a quick disclosure, this portion of my review will just contain the figure itself and NOT the Tony Stank headsculpt...that will come separately as its own post.

Overall impression: I like it!

That being said it's not without its issues, some of which are solely QC related.

So the figure as a whole is solid! It's what we've come to expect from Hot Toys at this point. There's no crazy updates in terms of engineering or innovation, although I guess it can argued that the ability to swap out an entire arm (for the non-movie accurate Nano gauntlet) and the movable bicep piece is fairly new, but by and large it's more or less the same Iron Man figure with an updated look.

Okay, so moving along when I opened the box and removed the foam tray I was initially thrown by what I perceived to be a "defect." If you look at the torso area where the chest section meets the abdominal section it's clearly crooked and janky.

U1.jpg
U2.jpg

I was slightly concerned at this point thinking I might have to send the whole thing back, but alas I took it out to examine it. So if you're casually looking at it you're not gonna notice the misalignment on the torso. In fact at quick glance it looks stunning! Gorgeous, really! Also, I'm happy to report that those golds are muted in-person and those piss-yellows we were seeing was a result of poor photoshopping. Dial it back on the saturation please!!!

20210220_145924.jpg
20210220_145903.jpg

Also, side note real quick. In response to LexiKon318, unfortunately it seems like your Iron Man's arm has a paint defect since mine doesn't contain it.

20210220_145732.jpg

Anyways getting back to my critique...

At this point my worries were not quelled. As you can see the torso just looked blatantly misaligned...like someone in the factory didn't assembl it properly. It's especially evident from the back when you see that the patterns don't even line up.

20210220_145945.jpg
20210220_144630.jpg
20210220_144639.jpg

Now at this point I was pretty concerned that this was a poorly constructed figure that may potentially need to be returned/exchanged, but I decided it was worth trying to "fix" at least and I tried to jig the torso into proper realignment. Doing so actually yielded better, but NOT perfect, results. As you can see here the torso from the front looks centered.

20210220_150204.jpg

However the back is still a bit off. So I guess the only solution to the misalignment is to have both sides equally misaligned...if that makes any sense? If you look at the gold pattern running down on both sides, they don't line up perfectly. It's pretty much impossible...and I guess that's by design given that these are segmented parts on the figure. Although I'm curious, for those who own this figure...that's how it's supposed to look like, right???

20210220_150040.jpg
20210220_150136.jpg

Anyways, I was relieved to see that this potential defect/flaw was able to be rectified...but as I continued examining and scrutinizing this figure I did find another spot that could spell danger in the future. Someone else on this forum already brought it up, but the section by the hips that lift up are HIGHLY susceptible to damage and possible breakage. The section that juts out is simply too thin and fragile...so PLEASE be careful when handling.

20210220_144651.jpg

As I continued inspecting the figure I did unfortunately discover 2 actual defects that will require me to reach out to my vendor, which is a major bummer because I really do hate bothering them about stuff...but I can't ignore it.

First, the face plate has a blatant scratch on it. And it sucks that HT now makes the face plate undetachable because now I'm gonna have to send the whole sculpt back instead of just the face plate.

20210220_151230.jpg

Now the second defect is gonna be really hard to see on this photo because it is REALLY difficult to capture on camera. This is a paint issue and it's pretty much the same as what we've been seeing from those who have gotten the new gold Diecast Midas figure. There are splotches of white paint imperfections that show up when it's under light...but under normal conditions it would be hard to spot. But it's one of those, once you see it, you CAN'T unsee it. Luckily for me, it's only on the chest piece which is removable...so obtaining a replacement for that won't be a huge pain in the neck.

Anyways, here...take a look. Like I said, on camera it's VERY difficult to see, but in-hand it's quite obvious under proper lighting.

20210220_150903 - highlight.jpg

So that's it folks! Overall, HT defects aside, I like it! Could it be better, probably! But my first impression is that this a quality release. I do believe HT made changes to better reflect for movie-accuracy, so while I do think the prototype did look superior in its build...in the end, it's inaccurate, so if we're getting new changes we don't necessarily like, well...that's actually on Marvel then for making those changes later on.

I haven't taken a look at the starfish accessory yet, but I'll review that in my next post along with the Tony Stank headsculpt!

Hope this review was informative!

Shame about the scratch on the face, I think you're right to want that fixed. As for the torso alignment, I believe you've corrected it, that's what mine looks like.

I had the same torso alignment panic when i first took mine out of the box but extended it and pushed it back together to straighten it.

Very pleased with this guy, below par head sculpt not withstanding. If it had some wrinkles like RDJ has now the sculpt could have been a very good likeness, but alas it wasn't to be. If I had to grade it I'd give it a C- / D+ at best. Fortunately this isn't the Battle Damaged version, as that's the one I'll be posing with the sculpt and Infinity Stones.

I have no issues with scratches or paint blotches, and the torso aligns nicely. It would have been nice if the Nano Lightning Refocuser actually lit up, but IMO even without lights it's a good looking accessory. Initially I'll be posing him with it as he squares off against Armored Thanos. Now I need Thicc Thor and Cap to join him!

Mk 85_1.jpg

Shame about the scratch on the face, I think you're right to want that fixed. As for the torso alignment, I believe you've corrected it, that's what mine looks like.

Yeah, it's a darn shame. I hate reaching out to vendors about defects...it always makes me feel like I'm that one needy customer who has OCD...but, ugh, at $400 we should really be getting pristine pieces...

I had the same torso alignment panic when i first took mine out of the box but extended it and pushed it back together to straighten it.

Okay, whew! Glad it wasn't just me then.

Very pleased with this guy, below par head sculpt not withstanding. If it had some wrinkles like RDJ has now the sculpt could have been a very good likeness, but alas it wasn't to be. If I had to grade it I'd give it a C- / D+ at best. Fortunately this isn't the Battle Damaged version, as that's the one I'll be posing with the sculpt and Infinity Stones.

I have no issues with scratches or paint blotches, and the torso aligns nicely. It would have been nice if the Nano Lightning Refocuser actually lit up, but IMO even without lights it's a good looking accessory. Initially I'll be posing him with it as he squares off against Armored Thanos. Now I need Thicc Thor and Cap to join him!

View attachment 506683

Congrats on the purchase Buff and congrats on being lucky and having no defects/flaw! I guess your elderly neighbor was gentle with it... :lol

I Pre-Ordered mine on Jan 1st 2020 from PopCultcha. I still haven't even received an email. The site shows "In Stock", but next to it says "PreOrder ETA February 2021". So, yeah... Anybody else POed from there? I could send them an email, but I sent one about 2 months back or so and I never got a response.

Congrats on the purchase Buff and congrats on being lucky and having no defects/flaw! I guess your elderly neighbor was gentle with it... :lol

Looks great, Buff!

Thanks guys. This really is an excellent figure. I was quite pleased at how seamless the shoulders can be made to look for a museum pose, as that was one of the common complaints of early on-line reviewers. Between the ball joints, hinges and telescoping feature there's a lot going on with those shoulders, but if you take your time the gaps close up quite nicely. The shoulder armor is a bit bulkier than it looks in most of the movie, but when watching Endgame recently I noticed that during the final battle they suddenly looked thicker (i.e., like the figure). I guess Friday remembered their last encounter with Thanos and had the nanites adjust accordingly. :lol

G$ you are so right about those sharp/pointed hip flap pieces - those things look like they might break if you look at them funny. People definitely need to remember to flip those open and extend the legs down before ratcheting them into position for any dynamic poses.

Okay....so here are my thoughts on the head now having seen it in-person.

And my verdict is it's pretty good!*

*That's what I'd be saying if HT's goal was to make a portrait of a generic individual, but seeing as how this is supposed to be RDJ based on his appearance in Endgame, this headsculpt is laughably atrocious and more than a step backwards. It's like a marathon of steps backwards!

For those arguing you need to see it in-person before you pass judgment because photos don't do it justice...please, that's such a weak excuse. If something looks like a steaming pile of dog turd in photos, guess what? Don't worry because it'll magically look decent in-person. Lolzzz! Yeah, that's just not how it works... I understand certain factors like camera angle, exposure, color saturation, etc. can have an impact, but if the image itself hasn't been overly manipulated, what you see in the photo is what you get in real life.

Anyways, I see what HT was ATTEMPTING to accomplish here, but they failed miserably. They wanted to age him, yet at the same time have him looking supple... Well, you can't have it both ways HT! They gave him a wrinkly neck line, but miraculously the rest of his face received a botox treatment, so that mismatch is just jarring and, once again, laughable.

I went ahead and took pictures from all possible angles. And while in some of the angles where his face is partially obscured, I will concede that I do some RDJ in there, but when you look at it from the most important angle possible, the HEADON angle, it's just awful. They made his face too narrow and that's what really throws it off when you look at it straight-on. So that, coupled with his eerie botox, but saggy neck just makes this one big mess!

If I had to score this from 0 to 10, with 10 being Yondu/Gamora/Tom Holland amazing, this gets a Civil War Ant-Man 2. Heck, even the Smiling Ruddgate headsculpt is better than this. That being said, I'm glad HT will be doing the headsculpt exchange program. So kudos to them for at least acknowledging they really botched this one.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg

For those arguing you need to see it in-person before you pass judgment because photos don't do it justice...please, that's such a weak excuse. If something looks like a steaming pile of dog turd in photos, guess what? Don't worry because it'll magically look decent in-person. Lolzzz! Yeah, that's just not how it works... I understand certain factors like camera angle, exposure, color saturation, etc. can have an impact, but if the image itself hasn't been overly manipulated, what you see in the photo is what you get in real life.

Actually gmoney, I think that this headsculpt in particular actually exemplified the importance of seeing these in hand vs 2 dimensional pictures and videos. And I know this is about to sound snarky but it is 100% how I felt: before seeing this in hand I thought it looked bad, not one of the worst in recent years bad, but not good. One I got it in hand I was impressed at how much worse it actually was in person.

Actually gmoney, I think that this headsculpt in particular actually exemplified the importance of seeing these in hand vs 2 dimensional pictures and videos. And I know this is about to sound snarky but it is 100% how I felt: before seeing this in hand I thought it looked bad, not one of the worst in recent years bad, but not good. One I got it in hand I was impressed at how much worse it actually was in person.

Lol well I suppose that's always a possibility...but pretty much bad is bad. There's no way around that, either in photo or in-person. :lol

Back