1/6 Hot Toys 1/6 Iron Man Mark 7 Diecast

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t own any iron man figures (any marvel in general) and was thinking about finally getting one. Would this be a good one and done? Was on the fence between this and the 85.

Being a HT’s IM junkie I thought I should weigh in here. I really don’t think there’s any chance that the Mk. VII or LXXXV (85) will be anything less than incredible. Having said that, you definitely need to choose between classic or modern. If you pick modern the 85 is going to be a great choice but don’t count out the Mk. L (unless the color pallet isn’t working for you). The Mk. VII is going to be an instant hit and probably check every box (at least for me) but the armor is a very old design with tons of angles and hard edges; it’s classic IM through and through!

Yeah sorry, I’m not really sure that helps so I’ll say go for the Mk. VII, you will love the figure.

(Or go for the Mk. L right now and get a taste of diecast, modern, awesome HT’s engineering) :lol

i believe MK7 is the prequel to prehensile suit tech. so yes, its iconic!

Being a HT’s IM junkie I thought I should weigh in here. I really don’t think there’s any chance that the Mk. VII or LXXXV (85) will be anything less than incredible. Having said that, you definitely need to choose between classic or modern. If you pick modern the 85 is going to be a great choice but don’t count out the Mk. L (unless the color pallet isn’t working for you). The Mk. VII is going to be an instant hit and probably check every box (at least for me) but the armor is a very old design with tons of angles and hard edges; it’s classic IM through and through!

Yeah sorry, I’m not really sure that helps so I’ll say go for the Mk. VII, you will love the figure.

(Or go for the Mk. L right now and get a taste of diecast, modern, awesome HT’s engineering) :lol

[...]The Mk. VII is going to be an instant hit and probably check every box (at least for me) but the armor is a very old design with tons of angles and hard edges; it’s classic IM through and through!

If forced to choose, I would always pick an older, classic suit. Those angles and edges make it look like a wearable machine and remind me of so many cool illustrations of the character. The more organic armours are sleek and deadly looking, but it's a totally different aesthetic.

i believe MK7 is the prequel to prehensile suit tech. so yes, its iconic!

Absolutely agree that it’s iconic but the true prequel to the prehensile Tech was actually Bones, the Mk. XLI (41). Also the Mk. XLII (42) was, according to JARVIS, “a prototype”. The actual fully functional, non prototype prehensile suit was indeed the Mk. XLIII (43) in AoU.

The fact those older armors looked so much more real and convincing on screen is another reason I think I prefer those figures. I have a harder time getting excited about the later CG armors because they just never looked as believable.

The fact those older armors looked so much more real and convincing on screen is another reason I think I prefer those figures. I have a harder time getting excited about the later CG armors because they just never looked as believable.

Good point. The difference is striking -- and a real miss on the MCU's FX department. But if I'm being honest I didn't notice on first viewing, except for Age Of Ultron which looked like a video game a lot of the time.

That's what I don't like about the on-screen nanotech armors. It's basically magic. No accounting for volume or mass, like Cameron did for the T-1000 to appear realistic given the natal-stage VFX. You really can't have giant canons sprouting up on your forearms without the mass to make it coming from somewhere. And if you say "from the air" then where is the hurricane vortex it would take to assume a volume of matter that size from thin air?

Writer's room moto: the kid's don't care

Good point. The difference is striking -- and a real miss on the MCU's FX department. But if I'm being honest I didn't notice on first viewing, except for Age Of Ultron which looked like a video game a lot of the time.

Yeah I could definitely tell something was different, and the more it became clear the armors were created entirely in CG the less exciting it became for me to see them. Until eventually my reaction was just "Ho hum, another CG armor".

That's what I don't like about the on-screen nanotech armors. It's basically magic. No accounting for volume or mass, like Cameron did for the T-1000 to appear realistic given the natal-stage VFX. You really can't have giant canons sprouting up on your forearms without the mass to make it coming from somewhere. And if you say "from the air" then where is the hurricane vortex it would take to assume a volume of matter that size from thin air?

Yes and no. Obviously he has the housing unit on his chest - we don’t know how many nanobots are still retained in that once the suit itself is fully formed.

I love the fact that when he’s fighting Thanos and pieces of the suit are being broken off and trying to regenerate there comes a point where the nanobots have been fully depleted and the suit stops being able to regenerate.

To expand on what you're saying, conservation of mass is just non-existent in the new armors. Yes there's the nanobot housing on his chest but you can't account for the size of his weaponry being deployed based upon that backup. What WOULD work would be just as you said, the T-1000 logic. When he makes something, another portion of the armor is reduced in since or integrity, since the nanobots have to be taken from somewhere else. It would be a unique trade off and foil for the armor - sure you can make what you want, but you must do it at the deficit of X, Y or Z.

It's movie magic though. Being critical of it just kills the fun.

What WOULD work would be just as you said, the T-1000 logic. When he makes something, another portion of the armor is reduced in since or integrity, since the nanobots have to be taken from somewhere else. It would be a unique trade off and foil for the armor - sure you can make what you want, but you must do it at the deficit of X, Y or Z

That DID happen in infinity War. When Tony was firing at Thanos, the more energy he fires from his hands, the more his legs become “de-armoured”.
It was a nice concession to the “he doesn’t have infinite nanites” idea.

That DID happen in infinity War. When Tony was firing at Thanos, the more energy he fires from his hands, the more his legs become “de-armoured”.

Yep, especially right before Thanos stabs him, you see the nanites leaving his leg fully exposed to create the blade he uses to try and stab him with.

I was really hoping that with all the “WarBuster” rumors we were hearing and seeing (LEGO) that we would see him transform/shape-shift the armor for a big ThanosBuster like the armor that he had during the Civil War 2 comic run called the Mk. 51 or “Model Prime Armor”.

Attachments

• 7D8F7A2D-2E2B-4E6D-A386-7EA275C8DB69.jpeg
    7D8F7A2D-2E2B-4E6D-A386-7EA275C8DB69.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 272
To expand on what you're saying, conservation of mass is just non-existent in the new armors. Yes there's the nanobot housing on his chest but you can't account for the size of his weaponry being deployed based upon that backup. What WOULD work would be just as you said, the T-1000 logic. When he makes something, another portion of the armor is reduced in since or integrity, since the nanobots have to be taken from somewhere else. It would be a unique trade off and foil for the armor - sure you can make what you want, but you must do it at the deficit of X, Y or Z.

It's movie magic though. Being critical of it just kills the fun.

I did like that concession, showing the armor reducing during that fight.
But without ruining it for myself, I HATE nanotech in movies. It's such a cheap, lazy writing ploy. Just like "HACKING".
In movies, nanotech can apparently do absolutely anything, just like how in movies EVERYTHING can be hacked, from old cars, to someone's electric razor in their bathroom. Ridiculous.

Hell it still makes me cringe inside every time someone's helmet magically disappears or folds away in an instant. Scifi movies have been doing that for a while and I still have trouble buying it. :D

I did like that concession, showing the armor reducing during that fight.
But without ruining it for myself, I HATE nanotech in movies. It's such a cheap, lazy writing ploy. Just like "HACKING".
In movies, nanotech can apparently do absolutely anything, just like how in movies EVERYTHING can be hacked, from old cars, to someone's electric razor in their bathroom. Ridiculous.
Really? I'll have to rewatch that. I guess I was focusing on the performances more than anything. That's a nice touch then. Still doesn't sell me on the on-screen nano stuff, but it works towards it.
Hell it still makes me cringe inside every time someone's helmet magically disappears or folds away in an instant. Scifi movies have been doing that for a while and I still have trouble buying it. :D
Black Panther is arguably the biggest crime of all of them. I just can't get passed it. Like the movie but the suits just take me out of it every time they phase on and off.

It's worse when you look at female characters with their helmets. Pepper and Hope's hair would be all kinds of trapped in the helmets as they form around their heads.

The only one that I buy, and it's probably because of the subject matter, is Star Lord's in GOTG. He did it and it was cool. Then everyone else magically had to be able to do it.

It sort of takes away from the magic of the hero taking their helmet off, you know? There's something very personal and character driven when you see them unmask their identity, even if it is known. It's like they drop the mantle and show they can be brave/heroic/whatnot without the suit. Aka all of IM3 and Homecoming in concept.

Yes. Worst offender.

I hated that "unfolding" bit ever since it started in Batman '89 with those magic armored plates on the Batmobile. Those seem really credible compared to what has come since.

Back