Hot Toys 1/6 Hoth Leia

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed the iPad camera aperture is not ideal. Problem is to my eye it looks that bad. Eyes are bulbous and wrong shape. Irises too big. The eye liner is all kinds of wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw this figure on display at my local collectable store. I’m glad I decided not to purchase. Figure is fine and all but not worth the $310 CAN I would have to spend. Across the board form 3.75 inch to 12 inch figure prices have increased so much that it has taken the fun out of collecting. I went in to purchase 6 inch black series 4 LOM ($40). But even casually looking at what was on display prices averaging $30-$40 on a 7inch figure. Even figure’s I thought where cool get the door shut on them so fast because I’m not going to spend $40 on it. SW 3.75 new vintage collection $20 (no thank you).

The positive I guess is you spend less only purchasing figure you feel you really need in your collection and will spend the money to have it in there (i.e. 4-LOM for $40) But for the cool figures that would be “nice” to have in your collection (i.e.. Hoth Leia, Tarkin, Anakin, Obi Wan) sorry but your not worth it for me……..

3" figures are $20 now????

No wonder the small action figure market is dead (except for rich OCD collectors). I remember when they jumped to $4.99 in late 90's... then to like $7.99 after 2000. But $20?

As a Canadian collector, you just gotta accept that these are the prices you’re dealing with now. In the end I decided this figure was worth it, after confirming with the seller that there’d be no blue dot headaches. I feel like there’s been a jump in quality. I’ve stayed away from human Star Wars characters because the likenesses just weren’t quite there for me. Now I’ve purchased 3 this year already because they’ve been looking so great lately.

3" figures are $20 now????

No wonder the small action figure market is dead (except for rich OCD collectors). I remember when they jumped to $4.99 in late 90's... then to like $7.99 after 2000. But $20?

Yes. When I heard the Vintage series would return I was considering returning to the 3.75 line and even purchase out the OT & PT lines. However after seeing the price, but more important the quality (which was sheeeeet) it makes it an easy pass for me. Im 40+, I used to pick up NECA Cult Classics for $14.99 CAN today Im buying Alien, Predator etc at $30-$40. You can even argue that the paint apps back then where much much better (i.e. Wolf Predator, Hellraiser Angelique, Ash)

Again Im buying less but for the young bloods $30-$40 is the price you pay for collecting today. Which IMO is rich for a high school, college kid or young adult

Saw this figure on display at my local collectable store. I’m glad I decided not to purchase. Figure is fine and all but not worth the $310 CAN I would have to spend. Across the board form 3.75 inch to 12 inch figure prices have increased so much that it has taken the fun out of collecting. I went in to purchase 6 inch black series 4 LOM ($40). But even casually looking at what was on display prices averaging $30-$40 on a 7inch figure. Even figure’s I thought where cool get the door shut on them so fast because I’m not going to spend $40 on it. SW 3.75 new vintage collection $20 (no thank you).

The positive I guess is you spend less only purchasing figure you feel you really need in your collection and will spend the money to have it in there (i.e. 4-LOM for $40) But for the cool figures that would be “nice” to have in your collection (i.e.. Hoth Leia, Tarkin, Anakin, Obi Wan) sorry but your not worth it for me……..

That’s been my mantra for several years now. For $200-$250 per figure, it’s just something I can’t justify to myself getting everything and anything I simply “like” so it’s just “must-haves” for me. And even then I usually offset the cost with gift cards and points and sales, so I usually don’t pay full price. This Leia was definitely a must have for me though and I’m very glad I got her.

I guess that’s it. A must for you, might not be a must for me and a must for others might be for both you and I. I guess in the end the current prices “math" balances out for HT / SS. They gray area is that I would have considered or be tempted to buy Leia, Anakin, Obi Wan, Tarkin etc if they were priced at say $170. But as it stands today it’s a clear 100%….No!! Which is unfortunate because it is organically phasing me out of the collecting world. The main thing is not to get bored of what you have because your not getting anything new and do the stupid thing of selling the “gold” you currently own !

ebay is killing the hot toys collecting market for me
i saw an obi wan on there a couple of weeks ago and the asking price was 1200 CAD lol
where do these people get these prices from haha

I guess that’s it. A must for you, might not be a must for me and a must for others might be for both you and I. I guess in the end the current prices “math" balances out for HT / SS. They gray area is that I would have considered or be tempted to buy Leia, Anakin, Obi Wan, Tarkin etc if they were priced at say $170. But as it stands today it’s a clear 100%….No!! Which is unfortunate because it is organically phasing me out of the collecting world. The main thing is not to get bored of what you have because your not getting anything new and do the stupid thing of selling the “gold” you currently own !

I generally agree. When I first started collecting 1/6 10 years ago, I bought an average of at least one a month for the first 2-3 years. At that point, the SS prices were already creeping up to about $100+ per figure, and HT were at around $150+ per figure. As the prices went up, I slowed down considerably to like maybe 4-6 figures a year, which is kinda where I am now. Like I said, I now only get must haves and I am truly much happier with my streamlined collection. I’ve even sold off several figures to further clean up my collection. I also have an exit strategy. Just a few more figures and I’m pretty much done.

ebay is killing the hot toys collecting market for me
i saw an obi wan on there a couple of weeks ago and the asking price was 1200 CAD lol
where do these people get these prices from haha

Yeah, Ebay can be brutal. There’s obviously “flippers” that try to cash in on people wanting to find older releases they missed out on. But I have had some success with genuine sellers that are way more reasonable.
I also have a list of figures that I’m trying to stick to so I can keep the collection streamlined. It contains a “wishlist” to hopefully take into account future releases. Mind you, HT and SS are pretty good at surprising me. I just hope I can round out my list before retail prices get too high for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I generally agree. When I first started collecting 1/6 10 years ago, I bought an average of at least one a month for the first 2-3 years. At that point, the SS prices were already creeping up to about $100+ per figure, and HT were at around $150+ per figure. As the prices went up, I slowed down considerably to like maybe 4-6 figures a year, which is kinda where I am now. Like I said, I now only get must haves and I am truly much happier with my streamlined collection. I’ve even sold off several figures to further clean up my collection. I also have an exit strategy. Just a few more figures and I’m pretty much done.

Totally agree here. I played catch up with ANH Leia, Han etc a few years ago. Luckily non-core collectors were starting to off load them then which was good for me. But I've found as long as I have a list and display plan of the figures I really want and can actually display, then it's manageable. There are always temptations, but if you can stick to the plan then that temptation passes.

Finally got notification that this is arriving tomorrow from Big Chief here in the UK. Are all the blue dot worries over now or do I still have to open with bated breath?

The blue dot worries will always exist until there are none left MISB.
Youll always have to open it. Just to be sure.

Some of these will rot away inside the box, dots and all with the owner/owners never knowing the truth about their defective toy:lol

The blue dot worries will always exist until there are none left MISB.
Youll always have to open it. Just to be sure.

Oh it's definitely being opened. By tomorrow evening she'll be next to Snowspeeder Luke on shelf. I'm sure my wife will be fine with another one... Yeah. She'll be fine.

Back