Hot Toys 1/6 Hoth Leia

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great work davejames - quick question - did you hit the eyes with a matte varnish before doing the paint there? And did you varnish the eyes and face to seal your changes? What paints did you use?
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks! For the eyes I first painted over the entire thing with a slightly lighter gray, using just some cheap craft store acrylic paint, and then I painted the irises, and then brushed a couple layers of gloss varnish (also acrylic) over that. And after lightening the face I did brush over some thinned down gloss there as well, to give it that hint of shine that HT heads have, with the nose and ears being just a bit shinier.

Thanks! For the eyes I first painted over the entire thing with a slightly lighter gray, using just some cheap craft store acrylic paint, and then I painted the irises, and then brushed a couple layers of gloss varnish (also acrylic) over that. And after lightening the face I did brush over some thinned down gloss there as well, to give it that hint of shine that HT heads have, with the nose and ears being just a bit shinier.

Thanks - appreciate you sharing. Will give this a try

I really dig this figure. Great addition to my collection.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_23d9.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_23d9.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 223
  • fullsizeoutput_23db.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_23db.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 222
  • fullsizeoutput_23dd.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_23dd.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 223
  • fullsizeoutput_23df.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_23df.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 227
I hope Coco does a stand that has that correct echo base floor grate. The HT (Falcon/Death Star style) one just doesn't suit as well for me.

Finally had a good excuse to use my sideshow reward points to get Hoth episode five princess Leia for the carbon freezing chamber and millennium falcon dioramas. Here is my full unboxing and review:

https://youtu.be/5uKaNjGimGU

Enjoyed the review, Jazz. Also, I just checked out your dioramas for the first time thanks to the video. They are incredible!

I hope Coco does a stand that has that correct echo base floor grate. The HT (Falcon/Death Star style) one just doesn't suit as well for me.

Coco makes awesome stands, however the one HT made is accurate to the hallway scene, she's standing on it here in this pic.

hoth l&H.jpg

Finally had a good excuse to use my sideshow reward points to get Hoth episode five princess Leia for the carbon freezing chamber and millennium falcon dioramas. Here is my full unboxing and review:

Great review as always Jazz - love seeing your stuff - but how are the eyes on Hoth Leia not driving you crazy? It’s such a big departure from the box art... but that Carbon Chamber Dio is awesome!

If you don’t have the sculpt looking straight ahead, it sort of mitigates the thousand yard stare with the eyes.

I am increasingly dissatisfied with my sculpt - others posted on here seem better - I’ve already had to get a replacement body due to arm issue - maybe i should complain about this too...

Has anyone properly evaluated the sculpt itself to see if even a match to the prototype? Am I just a good paint job away from what I was sold on or is the face structure different enough and causing some of my concern? I dont generally go OCD on sculpts like this but ANH Luke and Marty McFly have been the exception.

Here is mine...
854b6da74e06a635de8c3fc5900d150c.jpg

And here is what I thought i was getting...
00cff35c8c13b541e399744178148fbe.jpg

I have news for you. NO production piece turns out exactly like the prototype. You’re in the wrong hobby if you’re expecting perfection.

Back