Hot Toy DX08 - BATMAN - The Joker (Jack Nicholson) - Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pure greed or a company trying to make a profit?

Have fun in Walmart....

They would'nt have all of the other HT at (some) more reasonable prices if they weren't making a profit on them, they just want MORE profit, which means greed.

The reason i'm annoyed at the price is twofold.

1. Manufacturing costs can't have change this much in the last 6 months to warrent such an increase, for less materials.
2. It's damn stressful to buy when the cost is too high, battling with the "need" and battling with common sense.

As far as the license rights and so foth being the driving factor, HT should cover these.

We'll all know in the next two months when the next products go up for a stupidly high price or a more reasonable price, that will tell us if it's sheer greed or this particular license.

They would'nt have all of the other HT at (some) more reasonable prices if they weren't making a profit on them, they just want MORE profit, which means greed.

So a company who wants to make money and not go out of business is greedy???? These are toys..no one is forcing you to purchase them. It's not like it's food or shelter or something you need to live on. Do you think BMW or Mercedes makes a profit on the cars they sell?

I agree with this part of your post, after everything that happened with the leaking oil and meltings of the DX02 and the Comedian, the fat poorly re-designed face on Alice & the crack in the back of the heads of rooted hair figures, Hot Toys has yet to assure customers of better QC in future.

Particuarly with the Oil problems, no public apology to those who dropped serious cash on them, only to have them degrade after just one year.

That's pretty ____ed up really :lecture

1292059767721.gif

th_OrsenWellesClapping.gif

Exactly. The royalties excuse here is getting old. That wasn't the case with CR Superman and it isn't the case with the 1989 Batman series either. Most of their figures have seen an increase in price for the simple reason that they can charge whatever the hell they want for it as people still buy it. The price on this figure is outrageous and that's that.

Agreed and thanks, I'm glad my words were appreciated by other collectors with similar opinions.

The reason i'm annoyed at the price is twofold.

1. Manufacturing costs can't have change this much in the last 6 months to warrent such an increase, for less materials.
2. It's damn stressful to buy when the cost is too high, battling with the "need" and battling with common sense.

Manufacturing costs have actually doubled on most things during the past year with the global economy. You guys need to realize that it's the year 2011 and not 1990 and that we are in a global recession with rising labor/material costs in every country.

Err yeah, otherwise they wouldn't make 'em.

Right..so if HT knew that they wouldn't make money, they sure as hell wouldn't R&D it and then produce it. With the dollar as weak as it right now do you have any clue what the labor and production costs in asia are right now. You aren't buying a 7 dollar figure from the food store..this is a high end collectible.

There's no justifying this cost for a 12 inch figure no matter how people try to spin it. It is what it is, and most of us will buy it regardless. Let's get back to the figure and leave the economic debate in the rears :lecture

Plus look at shipping costs alone...shipping costs have skyrocketed over the years.

Everything has skyrocketed. I have a hunch that some of these posters are still in their teens/early 20s and have no idea how the real world works. EVERYTHING is going up in price and it's not going to stop just cause you want it to. With all the pressure on Asia for decent working conditions the average salary of the Asian factory worker has gone up significantly. Then you add in oil costs, energy costs, shipping costs, marketing costs....it's going to cost more..not less. :slap

I think it should be a requirement for anyone who posts on these threads to take a course in ECON 101 and ECON 202.

I don't know why this is so hard for some folks.

These are collectibles, they are not necessary for life.

Be happy that you get free Oxygen so all that leaves you with is food, water, shelter and clothes.

If you can't afford collectibles after paying for food, water, shelter and clothes then so be it.

It's not worth getting all frustrated and angry over not being able to afford a $265.00 Joker.

Don't get mad at HT, they're not hurting or forcing anyone to do something they don't want to do.

Now, go and be grateful that Oxygen is free.

Last edited:
I don't know why this is so hard for some folks.

These are collectibles, they are not necessary for life.

Be happy that you get free Oxygen so all that leaves you with is food, water, shelter and clothes.

If you can't afford collectibles after paying for food, water, shelter and clothes then so be it.

It's not worth getting all frustrated and angry over not being able to afford a $265.00 Joker.

Don't get mad at HT, they're not hurting or forcing anyone to do something they don't want to do.

:exactly: even you guys doesn't want to get it, there is still lots people try to buy it, the price is always going up, never went down.

Bottom line, I think EVERY figure is overpriced, they're just really nice action figures. Yes, the tailoring and painting and sculpting are eerily lifelike, but I've always felt that items in this hobby are all pricier than you'd think they'd be to produce and put out. As collectors, we buy with our hearts though, our brains only come into the picture occassionally, and when a figure is made of something you thought you'd only dream of getting, when it is made, you don't care what the cost, the value to you is worth far more than the money you'll spend to get it. That's how I know I really want something, if I care more about getting the item than what it's costing me, it means a lot, if I debate how much it's costing me and feeling unsettled about that, then I probably am better off keeping my money.

We figured out early on that we could not afford to do that, and had to adjust it or else drop the items altogether. You gotta realize that our percentage on HT is already about half of we get on almost everything else we sell. And these are even less than that. Can't commit tens of thousands of dollars to a line and then not come up with enough profit to even pay two months rent. Just doesn't work. Sorry about that. Wish we could do more.
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate you guys coming here and sharing what you can about the pricing of these figures. Hopefully you guys can continue to maintain your 10% discounts on other Hot Toys figures outside of this line :)

Hot Toys can be addictive though, people don't need cigarette's or booze but their lives fall to pieces in the pursuit.

One needs to identify if an addiction is hurting them.

I for instance will never get a credit card because my sister in her early twenties got into debt and i wouldn't allow that on myself.

HT may not be a physical dependancy but it is addicting nevertheless.

Bottom line, I think EVERY figure is overpriced, they're just really nice action figures. Yes, the tailoring and painting and sculpting are eerily lifelike, but I've always felt that items in this hobby are all pricier than you'd think they'd be to produce and put out. As collectors, we buy with our hearts though, our brains only come into the picture occassionally, and when a figure is made of something you thought you'd only dream of getting, when it is made, you don't care what the cost, the value to you is worth far more than the money you'll spend to get it. That's how I know I really want something, if I care more about getting the item than what it's costing me, it means a lot, if I debate how much it's costing me and feeling unsettled about that, then I probably am better off keeping my money.

This can be a stressful hobby. I think you're right that the cost is more than is required to produce them and make a nice profit for the company too.

SORRY OFF TOPIC .,,Interesting my flex pay with TDK exslusive billed today ...same day as keaton batman released ...This info could have been useful to some ,and i bet some would have altered our orders or choices in batman...I like both versions and didnt think we would see pre order til 2012 on joker or batman ...glad to have mr j ...i bet he sells out fast by monday gone like the wind......

Man is that freaking well said :clap

So $265 for Jack is super steep, but the Keaton Bats is about $225, which is normal for a DX fig.

Hot Toys always charges more for the "Deluxe" line -- do I think the inclusion of PERS justifies the price bump? No, but the extra cost of the DX line has been established. Look at the latest Bruce Lee . . .

I would say the extra price for Jack is due to the complex suit & costume. That's a lot of fancy tailoring, compared to Keaton's rubber suit. Look at the quality of those fabrics, too. (How HT sources their materials is a wonder . . . :dunno)

And remember that the Avatard figure is $290!! :cuckoo:

When they announce the price of the Burtonmobile, you Bats fans are gonna crap bricks! :lol
_______

Back