Hi from South UK

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAL9000.

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a long-time lurker and this site is great.

I have a large (200+) collection of 1/6 scale figures, half of which are Hot Toys. Only been collecting for a little under a year, but have learnt a lot in that time. I am moving in the next 6 months, so quite a few of my figures are in the loft/storage - which is a tragedy, I know! But, I plan to dedicate a room in the new house to them. Luckily, my GF supports my addiction. . . Well, "supports" may be optimistic - she "Tolerates" my collection addiction.

Just wanted to introduce myself and say a big hello to my fellow collectors!

BTW - Worked out I need to order 20 Detolfs from Ikea for my collection, so currently working on alternative display ideas.

Thank you, everyone! Looking forward to some great chats/advise.

:welcome1: to the :FREAK: show :bunnydanc

20 detolfs for 200 figures? Jesus. :lol

Have you considered PAX from IKEA for your display? You could fit a ton of sixth scale figure in them and may cost you far less in the long haul.

:welcome1: to the :FREAK: show :bunnydanc

20 detolfs for 200 figures? Jesus. :lol

Have you considered PAX from IKEA for your display? You could fit a ton of sixth scale figure in them and may cost you far less in the long haul.

To be honest, I have been looking for a long time for various displays/cabinets. I have spoken to some engineer friends of mine to see if they can make the detolfs look a little more. . . hmm, cool? Modern? Not having moved yet, I'm not sure what size room I'll have for them either. So the detolfs were a good start - modular. Any advise would be greatly received. You're right though - It would be better to invest for the long-term.

I only have 30(ish) figures in cabinets at the moment and they're not really displayed well.

Will definitely post pictures of my collection once they're set up.

All I have at the moment is a list of the ones I have, to make sure I don't order the same ones twice. Which has already happened despite that!

Thank you all for your welcomes!

:welcome :wave

Sounds like quite a collection - once you get the shelves and have it set up hope you'll share some pics on here.

Cheers,
Ken

I've just taken some VERY BAD pictures on my phone of around 50 of them I have crammed into a couple of cabinets. I have a few rare ones not displayed like a Morpheus by Sunohc and others. PLEASE FORGIVE THE RUBBISH QUALITY - Just thought I'd share.

Once I'm set up properly with the entire collection displayed well, I'll take some pics and put it in the appropriate thread etc.

1/6 Scale - Imgur

To be honest, I have been looking for a long time for various displays/cabinets. I have spoken to some engineer friends of mine to see if they can make the detolfs look a little more. . . hmm, cool? Modern? Not having moved yet, I'm not sure what size room I'll have for them either. So the detolfs were a good start - modular. Any advise would be greatly received. You're right though - It would be better to invest for the long-term.

I only have 30(ish) figures in cabinets at the moment and they're not really displayed well.

Will definitely post pictures of my collection once they're set up.

All I have at the moment is a list of the ones I have, to make sure I don't order the same ones twice. Which has already happened despite that!

Thank you all for your welcomes!

Detolfs are great, though if you start packing 5+ figures per shelf they do look a bit cluttered in my opinion. They are the cheapest display cabinets of that type/style/size by a wide margin, which makes them a great option.

That being said, if you plan on displaying 200+ figures in a growing collection and are looking at 20+ Detolfs they may not be the best option for you economically and aesthetically. Assuming you have the space for 20 Detolfs it's safe to say you pretty much have your choice of display cabinetry. IKEA Besta and PAX units will house more figures than Detolfs can, but I'd lean toward the PAX units myself. Not only are they spacious but they look amazing when set up and you can easily add some IKEA LED lights to them during installation.

Check out the 'How to display your collectibles' thread to see pictures of members who have these units when you get some free time. :D

Detolfs are great, though if you start packing 5+ figures per shelf they do look a bit cluttered in my opinion. They are the cheapest display cabinets of that type/style/size by a wide margin, which makes them a great option.

That being said, if you plan on displaying 200+ figures in a growing collection and are looking at 20+ Detolfs they may not be the best option for you economically and aesthetically. Assuming you have the space for 20 Detolfs it's safe to say you pretty much have your choice of display cabinetry. IKEA Besta and PAX units will house more figures than Detolfs can, but I'd lean toward the PAX units myself. Not only are they spacious but they look amazing when set up and you can easily add some IKEA LED lights to them during installation.

Check out the 'How to display your collectibles' thread to see pictures of members who have these units when you get some free time. :D

Yeah - I haven't seen that thread yet, sounds good!

I hate cramming them in and want to set up scenes etc, so want as much shelf space as poss. Besides, I have some big pieces like the Yoda Hut, Tumbler. . . things like that. You're right - Detolfs are not much good, which is why I was looking at having them modded. One day, I'll save up and have something bespoke made, until then I'll look at the ones you suggest too. Thank you for your help, really appreciate it, mate!

By the way - Here in the UK the PAX only seems to be wardrobes, or am I being really stupid? I have a Kallax, just at the time they stopped making the glass inserts. . . bloody awesome!

Cheers!

Cool - you have a very nice collection. I was really tempted to get the MIB and Sherlock figures myself, unfortunately I have very finite display space so I had to pass on them. They look great though - thanks for sharing the pics!

No problem! I have a wooden table and chair for the Sherlock, instead of that Joker metal one. The MIBs are really tough to pose - still not right. Like I said, bit rubbish they're crammed in at the moment, but will get them looking nice in the future. Cheers!

Yeah - I haven't seen that thread yet, sounds good!

I hate cramming them in and want to set up scenes etc, so want as much shelf space as poss. Besides, I have some big pieces like the Yoda Hut, Tumbler. . . things like that. You're right - Detolfs are not much good, which is why I was looking at having them modded. One day, I'll save up and have something bespoke made, until then I'll look at the ones you suggest too. Thank you for your help, really appreciate it, mate!

By the way - Here in the UK the PAX only seems to be wardrobes, or am I being really stupid? I have a Kallax, just at the time they stopped making the glass inserts. . . bloody awesome!

Cheers!

Here's a link to the forum, there's tons of info within: https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/forum55/

The PAX do come as wardrobes I think, but you can mod them with clear glass doors and swap out the particleboard shelves with glass shelves to give it a much different look.

Hi from the North West :)

I've just got a cabinet from Argos for £180. Very good, the shelves are adjustable and hold 5KG.

Cheers

Tone

Hi from the North West :)

I've just got a cabinet from Argos for £180. Very good, the shelves are adjustable and hold 5KG.

Cheers

Tone

That's a nice cabinet. I need to go and measure up the biggest pieces (or get the sizes off Sideshow) like Yoda's Hut - and see what room I'll need. I've listed all my figures and grouped them, so I can see what shelves will have what. Like I said - I want them to be posed and not just crammed in. That cabinet looks nice and roomy.

I've got 3 clone troopers on one shelf and could easily fit another in without them being too crammed in :) Probably 2 hot toys predators I reckon on another too

Ikea are the collectors best friend :wink1:

Yep. I have a load of Kallax (Expedit) shelves - the cube type - and they used to sell the glass inserts, but seemed to have stopped that now. I like the look of doing it that way - each individual and lit up.

Back