Help with Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear about your nan! I lost mine just a few weeks ago :-(

This should probably be in the "Action Figure" thread instead of statues.... but onto the info!

This could be a Hasbro Collector Series Darth Vader from 1996. It is among the first of their 12" figures. I actually remember buying this in the mid 90s thinking it was the greatest thing ever. It actually was the gateway drug into my love for 1/6 figures.

I do not recall the original release to have a silver Lightsaber handle. Does the saber remove from the hand? If it doesn't then I would say it is likely to be a part of the JC Penny Two pack from 1997. Open up his velcro and see if he has any electronics in there. Do you have his Obi-Wan companion?

It is not a high value piece by any means, but hopefully you can enjoy it! I hope this information helps!

$_35.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies and the move. The light saber does not come out of the hand and I will take a look later tonight for any electronics. Not too concerned about **** value but I did want o know more about it so a big thanks from me for the help.

Thanks for the replies and the move. The light saber does not come out of the hand and I will take a look later tonight for any electronics. Not too concerned about **** value but I did want o know more about it so a big thanks from me for the help.

If it doesn't come out then you have an Electronic version on your hands. I do not remember off the top of my head what the electronics do.... I think the saber lights up and he talks. He was never sold individually but with an Obi Wan. I remember looking at the JC Penny catalog and clamoring for it haha.

There is a button somewhere to activate the sounds, it could but under one of his armpits or on the back. But I think the battery box is easily accessible through the velcro on the back of the suit. I think he says dialogue from his confrontation with Obi Wan if I remember correctly. Truly a fun set in its day (And now!)

That's not the "Electronic" version, it's probably the first Vader. The regular "Electronic" version (not the "Power FX" version shown in the 2 pack with ObiWan) has a bigger dome (the one people are removing to use on ANH and ROTJ Sideshow Vaders). It also doesn't have a light-up saber, only phrases. The saber on both Electronic and first version should come out of the hand - on the older one it gets pulled out of a hole and on the electronic one you can just remove it from the gloved hand like with any typical/modern 1/6 figure. The fingers on the electronic version are all distinct and the gloves are shiny.

Last edited:
That's not the "Electronic" version, it's probably the first Vader. The regular "Electronic" version (not the "Power FX" version shown in the 2 pack with ObiWan) has a bigger dome (the one people are removing to use on ANH and ROTJ Sideshow Vaders). It also doesn't have a light-up saber, only phrases. The saber on both Electronic and first version should come out of the hand - on the older one it gets pulled out of a hole and on the electronic one you can just remove it from the gloved hand like with any typical/modern 1/6 figure. The fingers on the electronic version are all distinct and the gloves are shiny.

Incorrect! There were multiple electronic Vaders. The electronic version with the removable helmet came after this version. That is the one that people use the dome from. The one in this thread is an electronic version that is completely different from that. He was issued in the exclusive JC Penny two pack pictured here:

$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG

It is a slightly modified version of the previous 1996 release. The main difference is that they added the electronic dialogue and a light up saber function. The first release has a completely black unpainted hilt, and the JC Penny version is painted silver, but also permanently attached to the hand because of the light bulb. It still has the small one-piece head and the clenched fist that the first release had.

This version could also be a european variant if there are no electronics inside which also could explain the silver hilt.

I know my Hasbro 12" Vaders.... I have all of them haha.

Last edited:
Incorrect!

Read my message again. We're saying the same thing, so perhaps you got a little jumpy on your reply. I mentioned specifically that there are multiple electronic versions and that the figure shown was not the "Electronic" version everyone is always talking about. That's why it was in quotes. I specifically noted that this better styled electronic version is not the Power FX version which is the one pictured. So the example in the OP could be the PowerFX version if it doesn't have a removable saber, but if it does, then it's the original Vader. But yes, you're right, the original has an all-black hilt - which I've got kicking in a box right behind me actually.

At one point in time I was 100% complete in Hasbro Star Wars from 3 3/4 and collector series (including vehicles). ;) And that includes all the collector series Vaders as well. Almost all my Hasbro collector series figures are displayed on my custom shelf and Detolf which can be seen in the showroom thread. Only one Hasbro Vader is on display though - there's just no way I could stand to display the first two.

Read my message again. We're saying the same thing, so perhaps you got a little jumpy on your reply. I mentioned specifically that there are multiple electronic versions and that the figure shown was not the "Electronic" version everyone is always talking about. That's why it was in quotes. I specifically noted that this better styled electronic version is not the Power FX version which is the one pictured. So the example in the OP could be the PowerFX version if it doesn't have a removable saber, but if it does, then it's the original Vader. But yes, you're right, the original has an all-black hilt - which I've got kicking in a box right behind me actually.

At one point in time I was 100% complete in Hasbro Star Wars from 3 3/4 and collector series (including vehicles). ;) And that includes all the collector series Vaders as well. Almost all my Hasbro collector series figures are displayed on my custom shelf and Detolf which can be seen in the showroom thread. Only one Hasbro Vader is on display though - there's just no way I could stand to display the first two.

Yup! Purely jumpy... And here I thought I had a second to edit that out before being seen. You saw it in the time it took for me to go downstairs and edit. This is what happens when I run on caffeine all day. :panic: :cuckoo:

But yeah all my vader iterations went into storage when the Sideshow ANH came to town. This thread makes me nostalgic for versions in the past though. I remember when the removable helmet version came out and it blew my mind. It all started my journey to collecting 1/6. At the time I actually preferred all the 12" versions better....even though some were very primitive.

Last edited:
Here are the Hasbro figures I have on display:

Plus the Vaders at the top. Kenner on the left, Hasbro on the right.

Here are the Hasbro figures I have on display:

Plus the Vaders at the top. Kenner on the left, Hasbro on the right.

I like what you are doing there with the evolution. I currently have The Sideshow fett next to the original Kenner version. I have been wanting to do it with the stormtrooper and Vader too....just waiting to find them in good loose condition.

Back