Need advice on mold/casting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChaosCursed

Freaked Out
Reaction score
NECA-Batarang-004.jpg

Hello, I recently found and purchased this Batarang at Walmart. The stand is a flimsy plastic mold and I would like to make a solid cast of it. I don't have any experience in this and there's a ton of info on how to cast a mold, but I don't know which product(s) would be best to use. First, I would like to know if it would be best to use the plastic itself as a mold, or if I should make a mold from it and then cast from that. Anyone here have experience doing this? Thanks.

I've done casting and molds for a years. I too purchased the same batarang but I'm going to mount mine in a shadow box.
YouTube has a ton of videos on the process. The most difficult for something like this display would be to make sure there are no air bubbles. There are techniques you can use as well as a pressure chamber to prevent them.
You could turn the display upside down, fill it with plaster, plastic or anything really. Seal the bottom with a sheet of styrene. Prime and paint the way you like and it would make a great display.
Just a thought

I used Smooth-On products. Mold Max 10 was used for casting the original to make a silicon mold. Smooth-Cast 321 was used for pouring into the mold to cast the part.

Back